Author Topic: EMI ?  (Read 64769 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
EMI ?
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »

Damn.   I think I have a problem with my line - this is just as Im about to order FTTC. 
Normally my line is rock steady and NEVER ever budges... and will sit at 3dB SNRM for weeks without even a slight bump.

My upstream attenuation has increased from 7dB to 10dB, downstream slight rise of .5 dB to 14dB

Ive tried switching everything off aside from the PC which I need to use for DSLstats.   
Last night I couldnt even hold the connection and SNR was going wild - (I was watching it via the router GUI)
I lost 'annex-M' at one point and I did eventually sync at a (for me) lowly 16Mbps 
It mostly seems to happen overnight, but dslstats is also showing various times of the day when Im not in.  The connection dropped several times over last night.

I dont have time to look into anything as Ive got a lot going on atm, and need to be out of the house soon...  but I'll attach a couple of graphs to show what I mean.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: EMI ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »

I think that those violent fluctuations are more likely to be due to a physical line fault than RF interference. Could this be related to the FTTC upgrade (engineers working on the line or in the exchange)?
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »

I found out on Mon that I need to be off Be by Aug 1st.
Anything anyone else on Be needs to think about, or just personal to you? (I'm "considering" PlusNet ...)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:34:54 PM »

I've recently left O2 to move back to Plusnet on Fibre Essentials. Went fairly smoothly, all in all, apart from the initial engineer visit by Kelly Communications. Plusnet suggested that I might get a 30M connection, but it's been at around 37M since 23 May - which I'm quite happy with.

Good luck in resolving the current issue, and in choosing your new ISP.

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »

The only time that a line's attenuation will change is under fault conditions . . .

(Surely b*cat does not need to say any more?  ??? )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:29:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies... typical that it happens now of all times :/

>>> Anything anyone else on Be needs to think about, or just personal to you?

Not just me, but I believe anyone affected will have got an email this/last week, if you havent heard anything your probably ok for now. According to my source there was a meeting last Friday and Aug 1st is the date that when accounts will come under control of sky and they envisage starting transferring accounts over. :/
TBH I dont envisage everything happening on the 1st of Aug and although I was told my exchange was going over on that date Im personally not too sure and think its just a push for me to make a commitment to sky.
I was delaying in the hope that we'd have more time :(

>>> choosing your new ISP

I was waiting to see Zens offer, but atm its looking like PN.
Ive just rang for my MAC code, but they only provide them during working hours according to the recorded message I just got.

>>> The only time that a line's attenuation will change is under fault conditions . . .

I know... or faulty filters etc..   I really dont have time to mess atm.   :'(
Ive just checked my attenuation and its now at 5,2 / 13,5.   This isnt something Im used to seeing fluctuate so I dont record it on dslstats..  I better had do for future.

The last disconnect was at 10:30 this am and touch wood since then it looks like its been stable.  Will have to see how it behaves this evening.   I could probably reboot atm and get a bit more sync...  but not worth it IMHO

>>>> Could this be related to the FTTC upgrade

I did wonder if something at the exchange, but scrolling back on dslstats its been happening for a few days now.   Mornings, afternoons, evenings and night-time.    This is so very unusual as I never normally see any fluctuation at all.

I haven't yet started the migration process..  so cant be anything to do with that..  need my MAC first.

Thanks for dslstats, because if it wasnt for that, I wouldnt have graphs to see whats going on whilst out/sleeping etc etc.

----
edit just realised I dont see an option to record attenuation.. although not surprised as its not something you'd normally expect to see changing.   Just double checked I took a screenie last night on the ipad and it definitely was at 10,4 for the upstream.     SNRM was at 102,2/0,7
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:53:01 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »

PS whilst talking about FTTC, I pretty sure Im going to need HWS.   

My NTE is in the hall at the bottom of the stairs, but theres no electrical socket nearby.

If I test via the NTE for any reason then I need to get an (electric) extension cable and trail it across the door leading into the lounge., and into the hall.  Its lethal though if anyone walks in to the front room.
A data extension cable is a bit out of the question too, as that would need to go around 4 doorframes!

Ideally a new NTE into the computer room would be best solution.  'Computer Room' is on 1st floor, but it is directly above the hall... so perhaps external wiring outside of the house and a new NTE in here would involve the least cable. 
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »

Ideally a new NTE into the computer room would be best solution.  'Computer Room' is on 1st floor, but it is directly above the hall... so perhaps external wiring outside of the house and a new NTE in here would involve the least cable.

Agreed. That would be the most logical solution.  :)

You really need the services of a Black Sheep . . .  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:23:54 PM »

Agreed. That would be the most logical solution.  :)

You really need the services of a Black Sheep . . .  ;D

I do...  I've already collared a certain ovine ..  He advises me that engineers carry crimpers so if I ask nicely I may be able to get the lju that is in the pc room reverse wired so that I have an extension to where the existing NTE5 now is, so I can still use my phone in the hall.

The telephone extension runs under a few floorboards skirting boards and under the carpet going up the stairs.  With my hand being knacked and according to the docs little chance of ever getting better, it's  not going to be something I can do too easy these days.. So if the same cable can be reverse crimped it would be ideal. :)  I will have bacon in ready just in case.  ;)

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »

MAC key ordered  :'( 

They tried to get me to take out Sky FTTC and offered me a discount which is still dearer than PN..  plus they admitted that unlike PN they dont offer a static IP.

-------

Same problem last night with the line it started at 1.50am - I'd long gone to bed at that time..  and its still happening atm.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »

Here we go again....   

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   10,5 / 14,0

:(

Not sure if it could be connected, but I looked at my stats before I phoned Be for my Mac and atten was
7,2 / 13.5

Didnt particularly hear anything on the line...  goes to do a QLT using an old type phone.

[edited to add]

Nope cant hear anything just the usual very quiet hiss

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:45:43 AM by kitz »
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:42:55 AM »

Not just me, but I believe anyone affected will have got an email this/last week, if you havent heard anything your probably ok for now.
No email, but FTTC will be available in my area fairly soon (several cabs are up), so maybe that's (already FTTC-enabled) where they're focussing efforts to limit people jumping ship to fibre from BT, PlusNet etc.

I'll probably plan to move ISP sooner rather than later if that's going on and switch to FTTC later if/when its available.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »

or faulty filters etc..   I really dont have time to mess atm.   :'(
etc. includes your router and wiring of course.  ;)
(comment about no power near NTE noted  :( )

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »

>>> but FTTC will be available in my area fairly soon

FTTC has been here since Oct last year, and although available to BTw ISPs, Sky seem to take a while before they get around to offering it as available to their customers.  This seems to happen on all exchanges and they can be up to 6 months behind BT. Sky has only been doing Sky fibre here since about Apr...  no idea why they seem to lag behind so much.

---

I suspect I am one of the very few using Annex M at this exchange.
In fact I dont know anyone who is now using Be*  afaik its mostly O2 users on that MSAN.   I think unfortunately anyone with a need for speed will have already jumped ship to FTTC.

This town has a history of heavies..  goes back since the beginning of adsl and we were the first exchange ever to suffer from contention.    When Sky LLU came here, most of them jumped ship because of the cheap Unlimited.   
Ive put a few people on sky here, but they are light users and dont notice the effects of contention for browsing..  but I sure as heck do notice it.   From what Ive seen of the Sky connections here, they often do see congestion..  which is another reason why i dont want to go Sky.
-----

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »

Just my 2 cents worth.....

while I was with O2, with which I had been very happy indeed, at the same time as all the work was going on to install the local fibre cabinets, my O2 service did take a bit of a hit on several occasions. This would have been around December last year.

During an unscheduled engineer visit as part of the troubleshooting, the BT Openreach engineer was telling me about the upcoming Fibre service which was due to go live in March this year, and what speed I might see. Interestingly enough (or not as may be), he was pretty damned accurate. If I remember correctly, he said that I was about 750 metres from the cabinet and that I should see a connection speed of around 37-38Mbps. I'm actually at 37Mbps and have been since the service went live on 23 May.

I mention this only as a possible cause of the present issue in and around Kitzland, that could be involved in the present problem, based upon my similar issues last year.

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

anything