Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: advice sought about 1950's wiring  (Read 7582 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: advice sought about 1950's wiring
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »

Excellent work, sir. I'd be happy as Larry (whoever he is), to arrive at your premises and only have to perform that simple task !!  :)

liknoj

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »

Things moved really  fast this week!
On Monday, the TalkTalk office manager (sounded like India) agreed to register my problem with Openreach. On Tuesday, the TalkTalk customer services agent (sounded like Merseyside) agreed to escalate the problem with OpenReach and phoned later to confirm the job number. That afternoon, the OpenReach agent phoned to clarify my problem and later  to confirm that an engineer would call Wednesday am.
At 08.45 Wednesday, "Larry" the OR engineer arrived and left at 09.15 having completed the re-connection which included about 15 minutes of line testing. Attached is a photo of his handywork.

Since then, the line has shown a slight increase in download speed, and I have also recorded one 4.12 Mb/s download speed which is the first time > 4 Mb/s has been recorded.

Attached are the now and before line stats taken from the TalkTalk Huawei  HG 530 router, they confirm about a  0.240Mb/s improvement. Could someone comment on the increase in upstream FEC and the zeroing of the downstream output power and what these (and any others) might imply?

Many thanks,
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:49:47 AM by liknoj »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 07:45:34 AM »

I'm sure others will comment otherwise. But in my experience, your DS SNR is dangerously low, and may make your line 'flappy'. I suppose it's a 'suck it and see' scenario, as its a balancing act between speed and stability and you appear to be on a long line.
As an aside, is that your true DS attenuation (65dB), or is that just the routers maximum reportable figure ?? In other words, are you actually on a higher-attenuated line than what the router is reporting ?? If it's the true figure, then I would suggest you have a lot of aluminium cable in your MPF's 'make-up' ??.

I don't know if you've tried this tack before, but there may be a 'better cable to Cab', that your circuit could be transferred onto ?? A very high percentage of Cabinets have 2 or more cables feeding them from the Exchange. These are made up of a hybrid of differing lengths of Copper and Ali cable, or, the whole length could be purely Copper or Ali ?? Ali cable has a higher resistance, and as such higher attenuation. Circumstances dependant, but EU's can achieve massive gains from a simple 'E-side change'. We have one Cab locally that has a 22dB difference between best and worst cables.

PS ...... on a personal note, and even though its intended on a positive note, I wouldn't want my full name to be mentioned on a public forum. Especially with todays OR 3rdReich mentality. Not intended to offend you liknoj, just an observation mate.  :)

liknoj

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »

Thanks Black Sheep for your comments. I have changed the engineers name to Larry --as you recently described him.
At different times, the Huawei 533 router has reported 67, 65 and 63.5 dB for download attenuation so I guess this is the real working range.
In analogue days, our village had a BT Exchange which was demolished when digital arrived and we were moved further away to Storrington, West Sussex. Google maps show I am 2.7 miles by road from this exchange whilst TalkTalk reports I am 3 miles from my local exchange.
How do I set up a job “better cable to cab” as you suggest?  I have seen local readings of  5.5 Mb/s on Broadband Speedchecker to a  village location which is further from the exchange by road than I am,  though I guess it might not follow that the cable is a longer run  but probably a better one?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:00:08 AM by liknoj »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »

Its obviously guess work, and all dependant on what you are stating, but it would appear on the face of it that you may be on one of the worst 'Cables to the Cabinet'. I'm kind of deducing that fact from your perceived distance of 3Km, and the fact a neighbouring property is receiving 5.5Meg.

Of course, reality may well be that the cable does indeed route to the neighbouring property first, before it reaches yourself. Also, the figure of 3Km may be pie-in-the-sky ?? It may be routed from the Exchange in a totally different way to how one might think ??

But, if we are to believe TT's statement, I think you have good cause to ring them and request an 'SFI Engineering visit' to see if there are any cable enhancements (i.e.: Best cable to cab), that can be made in order to increase your speeds ?? It's pretty much business as usual stuff to them (ISP's) and us, so there shouldn't be an issue in requesting this ?? I suppose it depends on the TT advisor ??

If something can be done, great, you'll be as happy as La......., as one of our engineers.  ;) ;D

Pages: 1 [2]

anything