Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Zen perform speed upgrade. Performance becomes unusable. Go satellite?  (Read 9701 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member

I've had two Panasonic phones (base station and one mobile) and always been satisfied. You do need at least one hard wired job in case of mains failure or confirming noise on the line, not uncommon in rural areas like ours.
Tony

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Hmmm, off to Google SSFP.... :) The outside bell will be history soon. For now I have work to do, spent too long fiddling with this yesterday. Connection is now solid and fast. I need to find the alarm panel folder to recall the master password, so I don't set the damned thing off when I open the dialler box! Thanks Black Sheep.

Ohh! Quick question, you'll see lots of remote phones. Is there a particular make and model that is simple, basic and reliable? I would rather have a base station with a couple of remote stations with hand portable phones, and the one "normal" phone in my office upstairs. We did have a 3 remote station BT one years ago at another house, and it was very unreliable and battery hungry. Good range would be handy, I am often outside and that can mean well away from the house itself. Cheers.

Sorry, my bad. A 'Service Specific Front Plate' (SSFP) is usually connected at the first point of entry, which should be a Master Socket (NTE5). The science behind the SSFP means it splits the PSTN (Phone frequency) from the DSL (Broadband frequencies) at, and only at, that particular point.

This means the DSL speed is maximised as it doesn't 'travel' around the rest of the wiring within the house. However, the SSFP will allow the PSTN frequency to carry on its way to all other devices such as phones, SKY set-top boxes, auto-diallers, FAX's, PDQ's .......... etc.

The downside, if you would call it that, is that the router/Hub can only be plugged into the Master Socket SSFP, as opposed to your set up now, whereby you could plug it into any socket by way of a micro-filter.

I can't advise on phones I'm afraid, we haven't carried them on our vans for approx. 15ys+. I can only say that the BT Verve one I have is functional, even at the bottom of the garden which is approx. 30mtrs from the base station. Don't know if this is good or bad in comparison to others.  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

>> I can only say that the BT Verve one I have is functional, even at the bottom of the garden.........

I was about to reply to Basil's earlier post, saying I have a couple of BT Verves and IMHO they are the best phone Ive ever had (unlike the BT Synergy which had poor battery life).   Like you I can use mine at the bottom of the garden, and it seldom needs recharging (I'm a bit of a bugger for forgetting to return it to the base).  Plus it has good functions, yet it is logically easy to use.

The only reason I didnt actually mention it at the time is that I was about to post a link for them, then found out that BT no longer sell them and they can be hard to get hold of.   I got mine from PCWorld.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:38:27 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Basil

Thanks kitz! There are a few new ones, and triple packs on Ebay. I may have a punt at a "make offer" one. Much appreciated, have a good weekend, weather looks good for a change :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything