Announcements > News Articles

Action urged on broadband speeds

(1/3) > >>

Floydoid:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7151132.stm

It's rather stating the obvious.

UncleUB:
So being told the reasons we won't get 8mb the powers that be seem to think everything is ok and people who still get very poor speeds have to pay the same as those who get fast speeds.When I first got broadband in April of this year I automatically thought everyone got 8mb.It was not until my line fault was finally sorted out and the third BT engineer told me to have a look at the Kitz website that I really found out what was going on.I guess there is a lot of users out there who just log on daily and don't have a clue about speeds etc.

guest:
I don't think Ofcom (or anyone else for that matter) takes much notice of the "consumer panel" - its just a vain attempt to make Ofcom look as if they actually care about consumers (which they don't).

kitz:
"This code would establish agreed processes to give the customer the best information during and after the sales process, and to give them flexibility to move freely to different packages that reflect the actual speeds with which their ISPs are able to provide them

Okay they can have "an up to 8Mb" package....  or you can have "an up to 8Mb" package.   :no:

maxdsl works at the best speed it can - and it costs the same to provide regardless whether you get 500kbps or 70000kbps. In reality those getting the slower speed lines are more likely to be the most expensive for both BTw and the ISP due to the additional support and problems etc than someone living next door to the exchange getting the full wack. :(

The panel also said it would ask the Advertising Standards Authority to ensure that the advertising for net services feature more prominently information about what can slow the passage of data.

I bet the likes of Tiscali et all are laughing their socks off - they totally get away with the unlimited rubbish and their throttling which is the real reason why so many users get carp speeds.

In late September a study by UK magazine Computeractive found that 62% of those who used its speed testing software were browsing the net at less than half of the top speed advertised by their supplier

Yeah well the least said about that the better.  The speedtester is/was inaccurate.

guest:

--- Quote from: kitz on December 19, 2007, 12:25:57 PM ---The panel also said it would ask the Advertising Standards Authority to ensure that the advertising for net services feature more prominently information about what can slow the passage of data.

I bet the likes of Tiscali et all are laughing their socks off - they totally get away with the unlimited rubbish and their throttling which is the real reason why so many users get carp speeds.
--- End quote ---

I have pointed out on the BBC "Have Your Say" that the problem is ISPs can say whatever they like on their own website. Stop them doing that and the problem goes away (largely). Govt and ASA are in business' pockets though so suck it up people, nothing will change :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version