Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Planning database  (Read 10647 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Planning database
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 02:15:47 AM »

OR have only been 'In play' for approx. 8yrs. Prior to that, and LLU, it was simply BT and the £120 charge applied for a full install was quite rare. Most installs were classed as 'In situ' and were done for free.

The install fee was £150 and EVERYONE had to pay it - you even had to pay it a second time if you wished to move to another ISP as migration didn't exist. That was 2001. I only remember as I got out of my contract with BT Openworld and got a complete refund of all fees so I didn't have to cough up another £150 when I moved to Nildram. Still had an engineer come out to remove the faceplate when I left Openworld and another one to fit exactly the same faceplate when I joined Nildram.

Guess I'll be doing it myself.

I can confirm it was £150 install and the EU had to pay it regardless of what work the engineer did or didn't do.  You got a  usb ST330 - more commonly known as the frog..  (Hence the start of my page frogstats and why it still bears that name.)

Adsl was 39.99 pm for 512kbps - there wasnt anything faster for residential users, but they dropped the price to £29.99 pm just before I went live.

Wires only was only in trials in 2002 and iirc was £47 or £50 depending on ISP.

Migration wasn't possible until 2005 ... even then it was only ipstream to ipstream,  previously it was a full cease and re provide, along with the relevant new setup costs and a few weeks of downtime.

---

There was something in about 2002 where btr was offering cheap installs at a cut price from the £150 in some cases.    Btw was wanting to bring down prices for all but were moaning that it was oftel or some regulatory thing causing delays.  I recall wanadoo having a hissy cause btr went ahead and slashed prices before bt wholesale did.

----
Edited to add

I just tried to google self install to see if I could find an exact date as to when self install came in for all.   I didn't find out, but the first result made me laugh cause it was something I wrote in about 2004. :D

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/selfinstall.htm
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:36:12 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 07:03:34 AM »

Gentlemen,

My grateful thanks also to all.

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 07:32:50 AM »

I think we are talking at cross-purposes here. I'm alluding to the fact that a PSTN install was free if 'In-situ' ...... not DSL. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »

I think we are talking at cross-purposes here. I'm alluding to the fact that a PSTN install was free if 'In-situ' ...... not DSL. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Ah I see, that makes sense. What I was talking about was ADSL install and moving the NTE at the same time. That used to be covered in the £150 install fee as the ADSL modem was usb so master socket had to be near the computer. Of course if you didn't need to move the NTE then £150 was a lot for installing a faceplate :)

In my case now, I have about 30m of cable external to the house which was put in when ADSL was installed - basically the cable run from the front living room to a rear bedroom used as an office. Given we'll be selling the house in 3 years or so, this (installing VDSL) would seem to be the ideal time to arrange moving the NTE back to the original position as this bedroom is likely to be used for small children. As things have "evolved" the bedroom has turned into spaghetti junction (two switches, one router, one computer, printer, USB over IP box, feeds into loft for HDHomerun boxes, etc etc) so I need to sort this out :)

Anyway its a simple enough job - all I have to do is remove 4 crimps and replace with 2 crimps. At some point after that I'll get the ladder out and physically remove the cable run - I have some network rewiring to do on that side of the house anyway.

mattanorak

• Just arrived
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 11:20:09 PM »

Hi rizla,

First time poster and have been lurking for a while, reading up...
Intrigued that you mentioned a planning database...  Would this have any info on PCP80 and PCP84 on the LVWAR exchange?  Trying to solve a bit of a mystery at the moment.  LVWAR Echange isn't live yet, but new cabs are going in all over.  PCP80 is supposed to be enabled in phase 10b, no mention of PCP84, but the new cab gets sited right next to PCP84.  I think the distsnce between 80 and 84 is more than 100m, so not sure if they can make one serve as a SCP or not.. ???

Thanks.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 07:02:58 AM »

Hi Matt and welcome,

It's highly unlikely that BT would re-wire any PCP cabinets as part of a FTTC installation program, but perhaps BS will confirm.
In any case the FTTC capacity (Usually of 128 or 256 channels with 100 or 200 pr tie cable capacity) is significantly lower than the live twisted pair count as there are usually many lines not wanting (daring ?) to jump for a more expensive VDSL service.

The most reliable public data is usually to be found on the BT Wholesale web site, provided you are not on a TalkTalk or AOL web site due to the hissy fit between the them & BT:-

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 07:12:03 AM »

If the 2 Cabs are 'stand alone' (which they obviously are due to their invidual markings .... 80 and 84), then they will not make one or the other into an SCP.
I see you've already visited this thread ......... http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12519.45/topicseen.html ..... which is where I was going to point you anyway.  ;D

There are a few reasons why sometimes a new FTTC can not be installed. I would continue to monitor the situation my friend.

mattanorak

• Just arrived
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »

Thanks, guys.  I've sent a note off to nga.enquiries to see if they can shed any light on it, as up until recently, cab 80 was set to be enabled.  It could be a delay, they may be doing the cabs in a phase (closest to a-roads first, working inwards), or (and hopefully not!) they may have decided not to enable my cab.  Either way, I'll let you know when I know.  Fingers crossed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]