Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Please recommend me an ADSL router  (Read 2052 times)

Basil

Please recommend me an ADSL router
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »

I have been having issues with my ADSL connection. I am not saying it's caused by my 12 year old Zen Internet supplied DG834v2 router, but I would like to renew it anyway. I do not have, nor want, a wireless internet connection, solely hard wired. What is a good choice of router that RouterStats will run on with no issues? Multiple ports needed. Thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Please recommend me an ADSL router
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »

There are very few multi-port modem/routers without wireless, so you'll probably have to get one which includes wireless and then disable it. In general I would suggest that models using Broadcom DSL chips are the best choice, and also provide the most comprehensive monitoring and configuring capability through their telnet interface. There's a list here:

http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=BCM_routers

The Huawei HG622 (unlocked) is a very good model if you can get hold of one. I'm not sure if Routerstats works with it, but DSLstats does. The Billion 7800N and the D-Link DSL-2740B are well-established models which are widely recommended.
  Eric

Basil

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »

OK, will look out for those, I should have mentioned I am out in the sticks with aluminium cabling to a small outdated exchange miles away, so any particular strong ability to work on noisy lines is very welcome. Thanks very much for the reply.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:34:21 PM by Basil »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:07:37 PM »

For the ability to maintain a connection under the difficult circumstances you have described, there are two devices that I would recommend trying --
  • A Type 2, BT Business Hub, Ver 2.0 (a.k.a. a 2Wire 2700HGV)
  • A Type 2, BT Business Hub, Ver 3.0 (a.k.a. a 2Wire 2701HGV-C)
No doubt Walter will be able to provide some advice, based on his practical experience with decaying infrastructure in bucolic surroundings. (A.k.a. the village of Ewhurst, Surrey, normally referred to as Ewhurstshire by a certain pesky feline.  :D  )

If you are happy with your DG834, then perhaps the Broadcom based Netgear DG834Gv4 (note: the v4 and not the last of the production run, the v5) may also prove to be adequate?  :-\
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:13:45 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.