Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ECI modem to Huawei - when to swap?  (Read 6443 times)

Charles

ECI modem to Huawei - when to swap?
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »

I was supplied with the ECI 'r' modem for my FTTC installation and it has remained powered and connected since it was installed a few days ago.

I would like to get line stats and the Huawei HG612 seems to be easier to unlock. I am also connected to a Huawei cab. So I have a version 3B on its way to me :)

I am on day 4 of 10 of the initial DLM profiling. Would it be OK to swap the modems over during this period, or would it be wiser to wait? I don't want to risk being put on a worse profile but I'm really eager to start collecting stats!

Thanks

ryant704

• Reg Member
Re: ECI modem to Huawei - when to swap?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »

7 - 14 days would be your best bet, if you are still having re-syncs daily or every couple of days wait until you have like a 7 day free period.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »

In the meantime, I would suggest you regularly check your IP Profile via the Further Diagnostics button following the initial test here:-

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Be mindful though that some connection resyncs can be so quick that a new PPP session isn't initiated.
A new PPP session is required to update BT's IP Profile for your connection.

A new PPP session can be initiated by disconnecting/reconnecting the ROUTER (not the white modem).

Charles

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »

Thank you ryant and BE.

My IP profile is currently 77.44 Mbps so I will keep an eye on this daily.
My router stats appear to show no PPP reconnections but I will force a new connection every day before I check the IP profile.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »

Thank you ryant and BE.

My IP profile is currently 77.44 Mbps so I will keep an eye on this daily.

That's the maximum IP Profile for the full 80 Mbps service (around 96.79% of sync speed).

My router stats appear to show no PPP reconnections but I will force a new connection every day before I check the IP profile.

Doing it via the ROUTER shouldn't cause DLM to have a hissy fit  :)

Charles

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »

Update:
I swapped over the modem successfully on day 13 (yesterday). My IP profile has remained on 77.44 Mbps before and after the swap.

Bald_Eagle1, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts. Stats have been collected for just over 24 hours.

HG612 3B with the *35m blob on a Huawei cab about 350 metres away

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »

That looks like a near perfect connection to me, very, very nearly achieving the full 79999 Kbps sync speed.

Your SNRM values show that you have quite a bit of capacity to spare & the almost steady SNRM & associated attainable rate graphs show only a slight disturbance at aroiund noon on 26th.

The QLN graph does show show a little overall background noise, the closer to -140 dBm, the quieter the connection.

It does show a noise spike at just below tone 3550, along with a corresponding dip in the SNR graph.
Having the spare capacity means it doesn't seeem to be anything to worry about.

Apart from a slightly wavy Hlog graph for the D3 downstream band, the snapshot data & graphs look pretty good.

Very few errors are seen over the logging period & I'd swap it for my connection any day.

Charles

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »

Thank you for your analysis, BE. That's excellent news.

I think I plugged the extensions back in around noon on the 26th. Perhaps this caused the disturbance.

I imagine it can only get worse from here on as more people sign up to VDSL services and crosstalk increases. Therefore I will continue to log the stats 24/7 and keep an eye on things over the coming months.

Great work on the graphing tools, very useful (and pretty!).

Cheers,
Charles

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »

Just a quick note:-

When using the 35m BLOB, the raw Bitloading data doesn't seem to update at all between resyncs whereas it does update dynamically when using the orginal 30b BLOB.

DeadMan

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:41:46 PM »

Currently on the 35m BLOB would it be a good idea to go back (maybe in a weeks time after things settle down again)?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »

Even though the new blob appeared to provide slightly higher sync speeds, I reverted to the original blob as my connection's reduced performance is being investigated (very slowly) by Plusnet & BTOR.

I didn't want either of them to find ANY 'excuses' for below par performance.

pettaw

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »

I have found very little difference on the new blob. The sync speed is indeed about 1M higher but actual throughput is virtually identical. I can tell this because I'm lucky enough to be part of the Samknows speed trial and therefore have a white box attached to my connection.

DeadMan

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »

Even though the new blob appeared to provide slightly higher sync speeds, I reverted to the original blob as my connection's reduced performance is being investigated (very slowly) by Plusnet & BTOR.

I didn't want either of them to find ANY 'excuses' for below par performance.

Think of doing the same actually.