Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Be blame users for dodgy DNS  (Read 8688 times)

Re: Be blame users for dodgy DNS
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 07:34:43 AM »

PS Read that DNS probs 'cured' by using a fixed IP, now free. Intend on using OpenDNS servers anyway.

The static IP "fixes" the DHCP problems, not DNS problems. Good luck with the OpenDNS servers - I found that the route to them on Be (via Level3) had so much packetloss that they were close to unusable at peak times. Worth noting as well that there's significant contention on many of Be's LES circuits (backhaul from exchange) now and also that their exchanges are arranged as "clusters" with one "master" exchange handling the backhaul for anything up to a couple of dozen other exchanges.

Hope it goes OK for you.

DrTeeth

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 08:10:13 PM »

@rizla

I hope it works out too. For 18 sovs a month I've got noting to loose.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 12:43:23 AM »

My thoughts exactly, and given I'm now almost out of my initial 3 month contract, even if it had been dire, it's only 3 months! As it happens it's been a lot better than I imagined :) The packet loss has never appeared to really be an issue for me, perhaps because I don't use much in the way of real-time UDP-based stuff online - everything's still purring along nicely - touchwood!
Chris

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 07:50:17 AM »

What 3 month contract?

Assuming you are on unlimited there is a 3 month notice period should you wish to cancel the service (or you can pay the £40 "express cancellation" fee*). The 3 months notice period applies to all unlimited "members" regardless of how long you've had the service - eg it still applies to people I know who've had the service since early 2006.

For Lite/Value "members" there's a 12 month minimum contract followed up by a one month notice (or pay £30) service.

*A "gotcha" here is that should you choose "express cancellation" then Be will cease your service 14 days after you request "express cancellation" so if your migration away from Be doesn't happen in that time then its possible you will be paying for a new connection.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »

What 3 month contract?

Assuming you are on unlimited there is a 3 month notice period ...

Yeah... that's what I meant  :blush: :-X
Chris
Pages: 1 [2]