Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: cookie control  (Read 4135 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
cookie control
« on: June 15, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »

like many others Iam tired with constantly agreeing to the use of cookies across a lot of websites.... can I ask kitz...why & how is that 'cookie control' inserted into the website? (how did you put it there?) is it necessary as a lot of websites dont have it?

Iam now using Ccleaners 'Cookies' section to add all websites I use to the 'KEEP' section so i dont have to do this anymore

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: cookie control
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »

It's EU legislation from about a year ago. I don't know how it's implemented, but that's the reason. Not all sites use cookies of course, and those which don't aren't affected by the legislation.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:37:46 AM »

It's EU legislation, that if you use cookies on your website that you have to advise visitors that you do so.

Over the past 2 years there's been a lot of discussion on how sites should be compliant.  Two years ago the legislation was even more ridiculous and nigh on impossible to implement.  It changed slightly last year and us now a bit more relaxed than it was originally.

I don't intend going over old stuff, but its been a pita to make sure this sites is compliant, and the original implementation took a fair bit of sorting.  However it came to light that the legislation was too ridiculous and many big websites such as the Beeb and even the ICO site responsible for legislation in the uk couldn't even fulfil all requirements.   Anyhow about the long and short of it is that you only have to advise visitors the once.... And then (ironically) you can use a cookie to stop a cookie warning coming up on each page!  ???

I did originally have notices on each page that used a cookie (ie the adslchecker), but because things kept changing ive since found it easier to use the cookie script which is in use now.

I'm not on the pc ATM so can't check/remember offhand, but if you look at green box, I think it says whose script I'm using if you wish to use it too.    I did quite a bit of investigating last year to find a script that was compliant, and not too much in your face, and it was about the best one I found with free source code.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:41:42 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »

so what happens if you dont have one of these popups?

ive never seen them on ebay.co.uk, was gunna say Youtube and Facebook too but they will be yank sites i suppose?

cheers
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »

so what happens if you dont have one of these popups?

ive never seen them on ebay.co.uk, was gunna say Youtube and Facebook too but they will be yank sites i suppose?

cheers

Therein lies the question.   I soppose you get a warning.   Large sites such as the bbc it could prove embarrassing.  There's been all sorts of rumours what power they could have, but because this legislation has been so airy fairy I doubt you'd just get a slap on the wrist at first.

------

Yes re YouTube etc... It's  EU not US Legislation.   

Last year I did see mention of some site holders saying they would perhaps move server to the US, but apparently that doesn't cut it if the registered site (holder) is in the EU.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker