Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CMD Command 'Copy to' for PC Dos  (Read 10106 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
CMD Command 'Copy to' for PC Dos
« on: June 15, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »

Hopefully someone can help me, basically with not using it for aeons I have forgotten the code and no longer have my old note pad with codes written it.

So basically:-
I need the CMD command to copy a file from a floppy drive in A:\ to C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.
There will only be the one file on the floppy drive so with being logged into the floppy drive it should be something like:
copy *.* to C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder (But I doubt if that is the correct code)

Because after reinstalling XP although it says we have to activate within 30 days it never lets me past the activation window, so having a copy of the file on a backup drive is of no use, so the idea is to copy the file using PC Dos.

The actual How to is:.

How to Avoid Win XP Re-activation

The time may come that you'll need to reinstall your Windows XP program.

Maybe you'll add a new motherboard or hard drive, or you get constant errors and problems that just won't go away.
Or perhaps you're a neat freak who wants to rid yourself of clutter and start afresh with a nice clean operating system.

If you do reinstall Windows XP, then you'll need to re-activate it also, unless you keep this tip handy

The first time you activated XP it created a file called "wpa.dbl" that lives in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

By creating a backup of this file on disk, you can simply put it back into the folder after reinstalling XP and avoid the whole re-activation hassle.

Here's how... http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1395

Select the wpa.dbl file, right-click and choose "Send To" then either Floppy Drive (make sure you have a disk in) or CD-R/RW.

Now, when you reinstall Windows XP you'll come to the activation screen — decline to activate and let the install finish.

Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
(keep hitting F8 at start-up then when the Advanced Boot Options menu appears arrow down to Safe Mode).

Find your way back to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.
It's a good idea to rename the wpa.dbl file you're replacing just in case you run into problems, so call it something like "wpa.nothing".

Get the backup disk and copy the old wpa.dbl file back to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and reboot.

There you go—XP is up and running again without any messing around with MS activation dept..

Originally written by ~ David ?

P.S. Your wpa.dbl file might NOT work on another computer.

How to Transfer the wpa.dbl file from a floppy disc using PC DOS to C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.
(Instructions to follow)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:40:52 PM by oldfogy »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: CMD Command 'Copy to' for PC Dos
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »

If I understand your request, then the command you want will be this :

COPY A:\*.* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\

assuming that there is only the one file on the A: drive.

Don't worry about upper or lower case, Windows isn't case sensitive at the command prompt.

I notice, though that your instructions tell you to boot to safe mode.  I take that to mean the graphical safe mode, so you COULD just use windows explorer as usual to copy your file. 

I'm slightly suspicious if this is actually going to work (have you done it before?)

Ian

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »

Hi and thanks Ian

No I've not used/done it this way before but think it's time for a re-format on my laptop and thought now would be a good time to get everything in order, in the past I was not even allowed to boot into safe mode without first activating XP, so assuming the same applies I want to be prepared.

With the activation thing, well the 3 month activation doesn't make sense simply because in the past I have not been able to log into windows at all until it was activated, unless, during the install and the activation screen had said something which I can't now remember, so never even got the nag screen which I should have been getting for those 3 months.
(The same applied just a few weeks ago when re-storing another PC, no activation = no access)

Although I appreciate it is said the file should be replaced more or less straight-away.
(But don't know if even that makes any difference)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:47:56 PM by oldfogy »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »

Sorry but back again.

I just tried it but unfortunately it will not recognise/find my C: drive. (actually it's the d: drive I'm looking for as the system is dual booted, but...

The original HDD was set out with a recovery partition and a C: & D: partition.

This was later slightly changed to:

1 hidden partition for the recovery files. (As was and untouched)
C:\ Windows7
D:\ Windows XP
E:\ My Files
F:\ Backups

Originally I split the C: drive to create both a C: & D: drive and the D: drive to create the now E: & F: drive.
But when using PC Dos it only manages to find C: as the recovery drive and does not find either a D, E, F etc
But I have to say my knowledge of PC Dos codes is none, whereas in old DOS I could have used Fdisk to see a list of all the drives/partitions.

Any and all help will be most appreciated.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:33 PM »

I'm ignorant about Windows, but can't you boot into Windows 7 and use Explorer to copy the file?
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »

There's no problem copying the file as this is done when windows is already up and running and I have already copied it onto a floppy, the problem I'm having is copying the files back to a folder but using 'PC DOS' and not after windows has booted up, (if it does that is).

With the old 'MS DOS' that would not have been a problem, or at least possibly not a problem, at least I would have been able to use something like f/disk to view all the drives/partitions, so would then be able to see what my partition drive letter is, but at the moment I am unable to do anything except access the recovery partition which is no good to me.

I am surmising that the file needs to be in place so that when windows boots up it then recognises that the version is a registered version without otherwise leaving files around in the registry basically saying it is not activated/registered.

This is not in anyway to bypass a legitimate licence, just simply to avoid having to re-register a legitimate copy.

Possibly also to avoid windows saying 'This copy has been activated too many times' please contact Microsoft, which also happened to me a few weeks ago when I re-formatted my old PC and installed my friends legitimate version of XP, although on the second attempt with using the 'Register by phone' option, it then allowed the serial number to go through without any problem but I want to try this method as it might come in handy in the future.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:43:46 AM »

Many, many years ago I did have a play with PC-DOS 3.1 (but never that other variant from Billy Gates' Company). I seem to recall that it did have the FDISK command.

I assume that a DIR A: command shows the contents of the floppy-disk. What does DIR C:, DIR D: and DIR E: show?

If nothing, then the version of PC-DOS that you are using is not 'seeing' the hard drive.  :(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:46:05 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 12:46:04 AM »

aah.  I didn't realise - you're booting from a floppy with PC Dos on it.

You're unlikely to be able to see any of your hard disk doing it that way, as the hard disk will be formatted in NTFS, which PC Dos is unlikely to be able to read.

Your best bet is to take the floppy out, switch the computer on and keep pressing F8 as soon as the BIOS stuff comes on screen.  You'll get the Windows startup menu, where you can choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode Command Prompt only.

The latter will give you a DOS like environment without Windows, but you'll be able to read your floppy AND the hard drive from there.

Ian

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 01:17:45 AM »

Many, many years ago I did have a play with PC-DOS 3.1 (but never that other variant from Billy Gates' Company). I seem to recall that it did have the FDISK command.

I assume that a DIR A: command shows the contents of the floppy-disk. What does DIR C:, DIR D: and DIR E: show?

If nothing, then the version of PC-DOS that you are using is not 'seeing' the hard drive.  :(

DIR C: = contents of the recovery partition (which is also FAT and not NTFS)
DIR D: and DIR E: show? = Nothing, (but these are NTFS and not FAT).

I didn't try DIR x
I just tried A: dir 'which worked.
and C: dir which also worked.

Also the same for the C: drive which is in XP is actually a hidden un-labled partition, but not able to see any other partitions.

aah.  I didn't realise - you're booting from a floppy with PC Dos on it.

You're unlikely to be able to see any of your hard disk doing it that way, as the hard disk will be formatted in NTFS, which PC Dos is unlikely to be able to read.

Your best bet is to take the floppy out, switch the computer on and keep pressing F8 as soon as the BIOS stuff comes on screen.  You'll get the Windows startup menu, where you can choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode Command Prompt only.

The latter will give you a DOS like environment without Windows, but you'll be able to read your floppy AND the hard drive from there.

Ian
The floppy disc doesn't have PC Dos on it, I booted with using F8 (as you mention above) followed by 'Safe Mode Command Prompt only' but as you say it might have something to do with my partitions being NTFS whereas the recovery partition is FAT because I can't see anything other than the recovery partition which PC Dos thinks is C:.

But that's it for now as I' now going to bed and will have another go at it later.
Thanks for the suggestions, I assure you they are appreciated.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »

Just a update and to finalise this problem.

Although I never did find a solution to the problem I'm pretty sure the problem of not being able to use the commands is because with now using XP or later programs which uses 'PC DOS' and not 'MS DOS' and the CMD commands do not work in PC Dos.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:36:20 AM »

You are probably right.   

I recall back in the days when I was in college and I'd just built a new PC with WinXP and I had a hell of a time trying to get Turbo Pascal to work.  This was a PITA because all our Pascal programming assignments had to be compiled using TPB.   

I cant remember now exactly how I got around the problem as it wouldnt even run in compatibility mode... but I seem to recall an emulator was involved somewhere.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »

@oldfoggy

If you still need to do this I can help. It would be useful if you have the original xp CD
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »

Thanks Berrick but TBH I fear it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

As noted in the original post it can be done just by starting in safe mode etc and copying the DBL file from either a floppy or a CD, but I was trying to circumvent that stage.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

Well if you have an XP CD, has to be the same version you have installed and that will work with your COA, you can perform a repair install which will leave your data and installed programs intact, caveat nearly all somethimes stuff needs re installing

During this install you can input your COA and then at the end of the install log in and activate.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »

Sorry Berrick but you have the wrong end of what it's required for.

The first time of activating XP it creates a file called "wpa.dbl" that then lives in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.
I can't remember and don't know, but it might also be a hidden file, (just in case anyone is looking for it)

The idea of initially copying the file is that at a later date you can copy the file back into the system32 folder "before attempting to reactivate" is:-

1. To eliminate having to go through the reactivation process, because every time you reactivate windows there comes a time when windows will (and did) say the program had already been activated numerous times and then will not activate (even though it's a legitimate copy) unless you go through the 'Activate by Phone' method, which again is not always convenient.

2. In my case (on someone else's PC) windows would not open past the welcome/activation screen which is why I wanted to use DOS to copy the file over, so I ended up using the activate by phone method.
Pages: [1] 2

anything