Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Sport  (Read 5462 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
BT Sport
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »

As a BT Infinity user I've received the offer of free BT sport to my pc, phone or tablet, plus BT sport HD pack with free set top box for £5.00 a month, the offer looks seriously tempting and I'd like some views please especially if you have signed up to it.

More info at, www.bt.com/infinitysport

Regards,

Peter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: BT Sport
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »

Well I would be tempted,but then I like watching most sports.I refuse to pay Sky's inflated price to watch though.So if it was available to me I would seriously consider it,sadly even though I have a fibre connection I can't get BT's FTTC :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

I'm not a big sport fan, but if I were it does seem to be a good deal.

I don't have time to check atm, but I'm not sure what the football coverage is like.   Last time I heard there was meant to be a deal between sky and Bt regarding shared coverage of matches, but sky pulled out.... There was a bit of a discussion in the top section... But if the dispute hasn't been settled it could be that bt won't be able to screen some sports fixtures sponsored by sky and vice versa.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:51:12 AM »

Given that Sky are increasing their prices by 10% again (5th increase/price gouge in 18 months) it would appear BT have already won this battle. Sky are no longer competitive on any product range, from ADSL through TV and FTTC.

* rizla has decided to bin Sky TV and get a second phoneline in once FTTC arrives, then bin Sky BB/phoneline after FTTC is working right. It'll cost less than the basic Sky TV package.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »

Given that Sky are increasing their prices by 10% again (5th increase/price gouge in 18 months) it would appear BT have already won this battle. Sky are no longer competitive on any product range, from ADSL through TV and FTTC.

* rizla has decided to bin Sky TV and get a second phoneline in once FTTC arrives, then bin Sky BB/phoneline after FTTC is working right. It'll cost less than the basic Sky TV package.

If prices increase much more I too shall bite the bullet and bin Sky,enough is enough.I reckon we must only watch about 6 or so of Sky channels.They treat existing customers like ***
My only problem is even though I have a FTTC(With Digital Region),there is no other alternative if I went back to ADSL I would only get around 2mb which is not fast enough to watch BT vision or similar.. :no:

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 11:18:56 AM »

Its fairly simple for me. I got rid of movies when Sky hiked the price for Sky Go (downloading) to £5/month. I got rid of sports when Sky hiked the "on-demand" price to £5/month (free before).

I now only have the basic entertainment package and I watch nothing at all on it. Wife watches Game of Thrones & Arrow which are easy enough to acquire in other ways (some of them legal :D ), and the kids watch crap like "toddlers in tiaras"/"I'm American, thick as pig-sh*t and pregnant" (I paraphrase on the second programme ;) ).

No point in paying what I reckon will be nearly £300/year for that after September.

Apparently they have some new "blockbusting" offer they're going to announce this week - to compete with BT. Thing is I know how they work now and whatever the offer is, it'll be changed on the sly - few quid extra here for spurious crap, slight downgrade there to "improve new services". You can't trust Sky and that's the basic problem with them.

Edit - oh and I already have a freesat box (Slingloaded so it streams) which means I wouldn't have to pay Sky's ridiculous £10/month* charge to enable pause/record/BBC iplayer on the Sky box.

*used to be a flat £10 charge to enable it, its now £10/month - that's what I mean about sly changes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:24:10 AM by rizla »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »

We pay £24 for the entertainment plus package,before they altered it you could chose from 6 different packs,we didn't have music or kids packs,but now they have made it so the decent channels(Sky Atlanic,Sky1 etc) are only in the plus pack... >:(

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »

To be completely frank, I can usually download anything shown on Sky1/Atlantic before it turns up on Anytime+/Go. Sometimes days before, despite Sky screening the programme.

Oh and of course lets not forget the fact that probably 30% of stuff shown on Sky never appears on Anytime+/Go because they have no rights to ever show it (like most of the Simpsons).

Overpriced and very very uncompetitive.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »

Its fairly simple for me. I got rid of movies when Sky hiked the price for Sky Go (downloading) to £5/month. I got rid of sports when Sky hiked the "on-demand" price to £5/month (free before).

I now only have the basic entertainment package and I watch nothing at all on it. Wife watches Game of Thrones & Arrow which are easy enough to acquire in other ways (some of them legal :D ), and the kids watch crap like "toddlers in tiaras"/"I'm American, thick as pig-sh*t and pregnant" (I paraphrase on the second programme ;) ).

No point in paying what I reckon will be nearly £300/year for that after September.

Apparently they have some new "blockbusting" offer they're going to announce this week - to compete with BT. Thing is I know how they work now and whatever the offer is, it'll be changed on the sly - few quid extra here for spurious crap, slight downgrade there to "improve new services". You can't trust Sky and that's the basic problem with them.

Edit - oh and I already have a freesat box (Slingloaded so it streams) which means I wouldn't have to pay Sky's ridiculous £10/month* charge to enable pause/record/BBC iplayer on the Sky box.

*used to be a flat £10 charge to enable it, its now £10/month - that's what I mean about sly changes.

TBH this is one of the main reasons why I personally dislike sky and their habit of price hiking.   They slash prices to cut out an competitors.. then once they have the monopoly THEN they hike the prices 'sky high' when theres not much viable alternative.

Theyve always done this... way way back in time when we had Sky it was fairly reasonable and none of that add on £ for just about anything.   Once they had got rid of all the other competition and were the only satellite company the prices started getting silly money.  Within about a year prices had trebled plus you still had to pay extra for sport (which previously was part of the package).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

All the more of a welcome to BT's offering.  At last someone to give Sky a run for its money. It's has been a long time coming - long overdue.

cheers, a

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »

Well I've taken up the offer, I think I can manage a fiver a month, (Don't pay for tv licence now  ;) )
If I like it I may even pay the 12 quid a month for TV on Demand., thanks for the input folks.

Happy viewing.

Peter

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »

Well the set top box arrived yesterday and early today I was able to access and set the thing up after a slight hitch, (I for got to plug the thing in!!   :-[) by then I'd already phoned for help and the nice chap in India talked me through the rest of it, it is an 0800 number so I was happy with that, all I have to do is get used to it now.

Regards and thanks all,

Peter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »

Enjoy  :) ;D
-----