Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are You Safe ?.  (Read 6643 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Are You Safe ?.
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

neilius

• Reg Member
Re: Are You Safe ?.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »

Ahhhhh Java....  >:D

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »

There's little to no reason for anyone to still have Java installed unless the machine is a server. I cleared it from all our machines last year and nobody has even noticed its gone.

Oracle have proven themselves to be spectacularly inept at fixing Java vulnerabilities and I don't see that changing even when they move to quarterly updates.

Best plan (IMHO) is to bin it.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »

What to do when it says you need Java installed?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »

If you want to run Java programs, then you don't have much option. I suppose the answer would be "Don't run java programs", but that may not be an acceptable answer of course.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »

More info on whether you need Java here.

http://askbobrankin.com/is_java_safe_and_do_i_need_it.html

You can always disable it and then if needed enable it again.I personally find very few instances where I need it these days.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »

The writing was on the wall for Java when Oracle* ate Sun.

The recent pronouncements from Oracle about cutting out entire libraries (security reasons) for server applications indicates the days of "write once, run anywhere" are numbered. Its a sensible decision as server and embedded applications are about the only place Java makes sense now.

* rizla looks at a shelf in the room and sees five Java coding books - so long and thanks for all the fish seems appropriate given the age of them :D

*toss-up between Oracle and Cisco IMHO as to who is the real "Evil Empire" ;)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »

I got rid of Java once but reinstalled it when I installed Serviio. This is a freeware media server to connect my PC to my Panasonic TV. This worked fine under XP but I have failed miserably to get it to work under Win 7 although the designers say it is compatible.

I would like to remove Java again so what do others do here to connect their smart TVs to their PCs please?
Tony

PS Just realised my IDE for programming my Arduino is written in Java but on second thoughts I could do that in Linux. Is Linux perhaps the way to go for a media server. Sorry to hijack the thread - I got carried away!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »

Is Linux perhaps the way to go for a media server.

Yes. :)

Have a look at Mediatomb: www.mediatomb.cc
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »

>>> The writing was on the wall for Java when Oracle* ate Sun.

Unfortunately you may be right.   

>> "write once, run anywhere" are numbered.

Such a shame, because it was a damn good language...  Free and was a forerunner in OOP.   
Proper support though doesnt seem to be a priority by Oracle.   It doesnt particularly help when they annoy average users on the updates with the install 'Ask' by default.   Wonder how much they get paid for that?

Whats the alternative language that could be in favour and take over?   
Yep .Net with its JIT compiler (compared to the JVM) so I bet theres a bit of hand rubbing going on at Microsoft and they certainly wont be unhappy if Java burns.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »

Kinda appropriate to share: - JavaZone 2013: Javapocalypse

[youtube]E3418SeWZfQ[/youtube]

and one on a much lighter note from a few years back -  Notice the vast change in attitude?

[youtube]1JZnj4eNHXE[/youtube]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »

I'm told that rather than "write once, run anywhere", the current in-joke for the smart kids is "write once, owned everywhere"  ::)

Sadly I tend to agree, however Java to C++ isn't that much of a leap - you just need to remember to explicitly clean up as you go which is no bad thing IMHO.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »

>> Java to C++ isn't that much of a leap

Ive never really programmed in C++ so not so sure .... Although it has a similar syntax to Java, I believe its a quite a lot more complex than C++, theres no garbage collection and you have to use pointers for memory, so if youre not careful you can write really buggy code or a resource hog program.   Java was invented specifically to simplify C++

One of our lecturers was really into the dotnet stuff - which back then was in its infancy - and we did a whole module on it because he thought it was the future and we had to write reams of stuff about the benefits of Java over C++, and then dotnet v Java.   Ive long since forgotten all the deep technical stuff about JVM, MSIL, byte code installation and runtime.

I have programmed in C# which is one of the dotnet languages and I must admit that is very similar to Java. C# has a JIT compiler (rather than JIT Interpreter) & it is cross platform language.  TBH I didnt know nor learn C#  I just kept throwing 'Java statements' into my code and most of the time it worked once I got used to the API  :lol:

Even back then it was acknowledged that M$ seems to have cherry picked the best bits of Java with the aim of making an alternative language.....  so what Im trying to say with all this...  is that if Java bombs...  then M$ will be stood by waiting to pick up the pieces in the form of .NET

The cynic in me knows that M$ would love to be part of what Java is and can do.. so very much of todays technology relies heavily on it..  so why are Oracle letting it rot?   Oh yeah its free and open source!  ::)

* iirc Borland were developing Delphi .NET but I dont think Ive heard too much about that since. :/
-----

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 07:48:50 PM »

Sophos (antivirus/security company) has a good suggestion if you need Java - do you also need it in your browser?  You can disable it in your web browser, but leave it enabled on your computer.

I have a couple of things that run in Java - an MPEG video editor called ProjectX and the media centre software Serviio.  So I keep Java up to date on my machine, but I've turned it off in the browser so that web sites I visit can't potentially exploit it.

Sophos explains it here http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/08/30/how-turn-off-java-browser/

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »

IMO the best option ^
-----
Pages: [1] 2