Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New toy arrived!  (Read 21399 times)

.Griff.

Re: New toy arrived!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 10:53:31 PM »

OMG Yarnfield....worked there years ago for the prison service....they used to have a vocational training centre on an old part of the site....back in the late 80's early 90's

Back in the day the site was used for testing chemical weapons.... :'(

Would that be ROF Swynnerton you're referring to? It's about a mile from Yarnfield Park.
[August 2010 - February 2012]    ---   [February 2012 - Present Day]

bossian

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »

OMG Yarnfield....worked there years ago for the prison service....they used to have a vocational training centre on an old part of the site....back in the late 80's early 90's

Back in the day the site was used for testing chemical weapons.... :'(

Would that be ROF Swynnerton you're referring to? It's about a mile from Yarnfield Park.

Hahah yeah about a mile due south....access was from the old Cold Meece? road

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 01:12:13 AM »

The reminiscences, above, promoted me to check a collection of the POEEJ that is in my possession.

Volume 63, Part 2, dated July 1970, has an article titled The Post Office Technical Training College, by N. Fox, C.ENG., M.I.E.E. The synopsis reads as follows:

The primary function of the Post Office Technical Training College at Stone, Staffordshire, is to provide vocational training for up to 750 engineering students, who are drawn mainly from the Technician and Technical Officer grades. This article gives a brief survey of the object, training organization, accommodation, teaching techniques, training methods and working policy of the College.

The article has one table and seven figures, one of which is a plan of the site as it was being developed during the years of 1967 - 1974.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

.Griff.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 12:23:34 PM »

Some more photos courtesy of Staffordshire County Council*

* - http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/
[August 2010 - February 2012]    ---   [February 2012 - Present Day]

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »

two available on Ebay £799 each  :D surely the HG612 WinGraphs can do the same job ???

You could make an offer, none has been made so far.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 06:03:43 PM »

I'm sure (when I looked) they do not support VDSL2, only up to ADSL2+.  :(

Edit: I now see that 'VDSL' has been added to the description but when I first looked (and checked the SIMs), they appeared to be just basic up to ADSL2+ devices . . .
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:36:29 PM by burakkucat »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »

The reminiscences, above, promoted me to check a collection of the POEEJ that is in my possession.

Volume 63, Part 2, dated July 1970, has an article titled The Post Office Technical Training College, by N. Fox, C.ENG., M.I.E.E. The synopsis reads as follows:

The primary function of the Post Office Technical Training College at Stone, Staffordshire, is to provide vocational training for up to 750 engineering students, who are drawn mainly from the Technician and Technical Officer grades. This article gives a brief survey of the object, training organization, accommodation, teaching techniques, training methods and working policy of the College.

The article has one table and seven figures, one of which is a plan of the site as it was being developed during the years of 1967 - 1974.  :)
Re-developed (even then), as The Post Office Central Training School was moved from Dollis Hill in North London to a site near Stone, Staffordshire in 1946!

There were various other Regional Training Schools as well, e.g. Muirhouse in Edinburgh, and at the Government Buildings (Nissan Huts!) in St. George's Road, Harrogate, where I did my Basic Auto (TO's qualifying) course while still an apprentice in 1971!  ;D

See here: http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/File%3ABT%20Training%20Centre%20-%20geograph.org.uk%20-%2046943.jpg/-/en

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »

I prefer Harrogate to Stone, every time. Or should I say, 'preferred'.
The meals were always of a high standard, and the nightlife in Harrogate was fantastic. Alas, as with all things cutbacks have turned this place into all but a shell. I believe it's earmarked for complete closure (just rumour I hasten to add), as most training is now driven locally. IE- The trainer comes to you as opposed to the other way around.

They may close the training school, but they'll never take my memories of 'Gyrating Geoffrey'. Anyone who frequented Harrogate in the 80's and 90' should know who I'm talking about ??. The oldest swinger in town bar none.

Was always busy in the town centre, as there was an Army training barracks there, a Police training school, and of course us plebs. He he he, I'm smiling whilst I type this thinking of the craic we used to have. Cheers Colin for stirring great memories.  ;D

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »

I prefer Harrogate to Stone, every time. Or should I say, 'preferred'.
The meals were always of a high standard, and the nightlife in Harrogate was fantastic. Alas, as with all things cutbacks have turned this place into all but a shell. I believe it's earmarked for complete closure (just rumour I hasten to add), as most training is now driven locally. IE- The trainer comes to you as opposed to the other way around.

They may close the training school, but they'll never take my memories of 'Gyrating Geoffrey'. Anyone who frequented Harrogate in the 80's and 90' should know who I'm talking about ??. The oldest swinger in town bar none.

Was always busy in the town centre, as there was an Army training barracks there, a Police training school, and of course us plebs. He he he, I'm smiling whilst I type this thinking of the craic we used to have. Cheers Colin for stirring great memories.  ;D
If this keeps up, we'll need to move the thread to the 'Lounge'.  ;D

Yes, Harrogate every time.  We used to haunt the old Alexandra Hotel bar on Prospect Place (West Park).
There's an apochrophal story about the instructor we had, Harry Johnstone. Great character.  True Yorkshireman, quite rightly felt that Yorkshire deserved full independence!  Anyway, he was 'canny' with money as we Scots say, and the story goes that his wife decided to embarasss him into replacing his worn-out trousers, by buying him the most revolting ones she could find - think Rupert the Bear's yellow plaid!  She presented these to Harry, who went 'nice trousers' and off he went to work at St. Georges Road!    :-[ :paperbag: :no::lol:

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »

.... and I've always thought Harrogate was teashops and dowagers. :o ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »

Ha ha .......... strange breed those instructors. My favourite was 'George the Geordie'. Literally only about 5 foot tall, but a personality twice his size. If I said 'Chubby Brown', you'd probably have an idea as to the type of humour in his classes.
Great days.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 09:05:46 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »

.... and I've always thought Harrogate was teashops and dowagers. :o ;D

Not forgetting the mystery of Agatha Christie's disappearance and subsequent discovery at the Old Swan Hotel in the town.  ;)

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:42 PM »

[Not forgetting the mystery of Agatha Christie's disappearance and subsequent discovery at the Old Swan Hotel in the town.  ;)
I deny any involvement! :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything