Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Advice on fault fixing  (Read 12536 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Advice on fault fixing
« on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »

My Infinity and BT phone have been down for over 2 weeks. Fault reported 20 May and not even had a OR site visit yet. Fix date was meant to be 24 May. Complaints to BT call centre dont get anywhere. Just been told by BT that OR are short of engineers. Great!!!! No revised fix date forthcoming so Im left in limbo.
Any suggestions from you guys about how to proceed gratefully received!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Advice on fault fixing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »

I am assuming that it is a line fault which has caused a failure of the telephone service and, as a consequence, has also resulted in the broadband service failure.

You mention Infinity as your broadband service. Putting all of the information together allows us to deduce that the defect is in the D-side cabling, between the PCP and your home.

If I was in your situation I would compose a concise e-mail message, with all the pertinent facts and send it to --

Ian.Livingston@bt.com

That will set the Executive Level Complaints procedure in progress and you should then be contacted by a named person who will take 'ownership' of the situation until it is resolved.

The other thing I would do is to open an on-line fault report for the failure of the telephone service --

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21

Obviously you will need to avail yourself of some other means of Internet access to do so . . . a neighbour or Public Library, perhaps?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »

Hi bcat and thanks for the input. I will mail Livingston pdq. A phone and Infinity fault has been logged from day 1. You are correct in your diagnosis. I know the fault lies in a chamber approx 300 meteres from my house.
There is a lot more to this story but I'm having to use my smartphone for comms so I'm restricted a bit at present.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »

Well that failed. I got a reply back from Livingston kicking my request into the long grass and referring me back to the Complaint Team in the repair area who have already totally failed to deal with my complaint. I cannot find on the BT website any way to contact the Executive Complaints Team.
Any other suggestions about how to contact these turkeys?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:26:42 AM »

Hi BBN,

You could try phoning 0330 133 4150 in Milton Keynes, which is a UK fault processing centre, but you might find you are blocked.
Otherwise I suggest e-mailing:-

claire.horsfield@bt.com

who is in the BT complaints department.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »

Not knowing the entire background to this issue, it seems the major sticking point is that Beattie, a communications company, is comprehensively failing to communicate with bbn:-\

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »

I would advise contacting Warren Buckley instead of Ian, don't be friendly or you will just be tossed away.

warren.buckley@bt.com

Edit: It's worth noting he will re-direct you to BT Care if you haven't tried to resolve the issue with that department, if you have and it's failed you will then be re-directed to the ELC team.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:04:17 PM by ryant704 »

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »

Thanks for the input everybody. I tried emailing Ian Livingston one last time and this time got a result.
I now have an Executive Complaints person assigned to the case and she has been in touch.
She agrees that the service has not been acceptable. Looking at the contact record on her computer she is also puzzled with the sequence of events and why OR has never showed up. They were meant to be here today on pain of death, but yet another no show.
I feel better about having a personal contact at BT but maybe I'm living in a fools paradise.
I will let you know how I get on. I cant write more as I find dusing a smartphone fir mail etc to be a right PITA .

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »

:fingers:

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »

Hi,

I'm back on line but I still have issues with the Infinity 80/20 service.

This morning I noticed that the DSL light on my OR modem was holding steady. So I fired up the router and my PC and internet connection was established! The phone remained 100% dead.

Then at lunchtime an OR engineer phoned me on my mobile. (My landline had been set to divert to mobile by a kind BT UK call centre person. Thank you!). So he was a bit startled when I answered - he did not expect a reply. He arrived at my house 30 minutes later. This was an unscheduled appointment and was the first time in 2 weeks that an OR engineer had made an appearance. 

He explained to me that the connection between the houses in my street and the local cabinet had been severely damaged by water. A new cable had been run alongside the old (aluminum?) cable but only those who had reported a fault had been swapped onto the new cable. The old cable was still being used for some customers. I deduced that my fault had entered into never never land and I was one of those who was not swapped over for whatever reason. He informed me that I was now connected to new shiny copper.

The voice connection was then established. The circuit tests revealed a good connection and that the line quality was excellent.

However although the voice is OK the broadband speed has been crippled. I now receive less than 50% of what I got before all this shenanigans. I'm on the 80/20 service and the BT forecast is 52 download. Prior to the fault I achieved a consistent 50 download. I now get just 20.

The engineer (who I would add was helpful and polite) said he was only a voice engineer so could not help further with broadband and suggested I wait for 10 days before taking the matter further.

With that he left. I was happy (relatively apart from the broadband speed issue).

And then I got a knock on the door. Two of my neighbours said they had seen an OR engineer's van and asked if I had had a visit. I said yes. They then told me that since then their phone lines and broadband services had gone down.  Oh dear, I'm not flavour of the month and this situation is now possibly going to run and run for a lot longer before its resolved.

Anyway. Is leaving the broadband connection for 10 days to see if it stabalises the correct approach, or was it just to shut me up?

BBN

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »

You will be waiting a long time, just request for a DLM reset to the BT adviser you're in contact with. Would also advise reporting the incident of your neighbors on their behalf to get all this finally sorted...

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »

However although the voice is OK the broadband speed has been crippled. I now receive less than 50% of what I got before all this shenanigans. I'm on the 80/20 service and the BT forecast is 52 download. Prior to the fault I achieved a consistent 50 download. I now get just 20.

For curiosity, what is your current IP profile from the further diagnosics here:-
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I suspect that your connection has been capped/banded due to the previous issues & it may take a while for DLM to restore reasonable speeds.

Did the engineer happen to mention whether a DLM reset had been carried out or not?

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »

Hi bald_eagle

Just ran the diagnostic test as you requested. Profile is reported as 29/20 and the actual achieved as 28/8.

Regards BBN

PS I asked the OR engineer about the broadband speed whilst he was here, but he said that he was a voice engineer only and couldn't really help.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »

Maybe DLM has started stepping up your speeds then?

It certainly seems an improvement on the 20 you mentioned earlier.

Is it reporting exactly 29 or have you rounded it to that?
If you have been capped/banded to say an exact 30 Mbps sync speed, I would expect your IP Profile to be around 29.04 Mbps i.e. approximately 96.79% of sync speed.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »

Hi bald_eagle,

Yes I was rounding the numbers. I've just rerun the test and get:

Profile =  29.04/20.0

Actual = 26.68/7.8

Pages: [1] 2 3