Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Preview: HG612 Statistics App by Ixel  (Read 5631 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Preview: HG612 Statistics App by Ixel
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »

Well, I've done a complete rewrite of the previous project I had intended to release here, but couldn't due to the lack of supporting Telnet properly (using web UI before, which is known to have some anomalies such as the error counters). I'm now in the process of running this for a little while, perhaps a day or two at most, to ensure it's stable and fetching the correct data at all times. For the moment I can give a summarised list of the features and show you what it's capable of producing as an image or set of images.

Statistics are updated every minute whilst the application is running, which should be 24/7.

Features
- Summary Tab: Gives you all the need to know statistics and information about your connection (rates, errors, profile and mode) and DSLAM Vendor ID.
- Other Tabs: Currently provides individual downstream and upstream graphs of... Attainable Rate; Bit Tones; Error Seconds; INP; Output Power (generally and of all individual bands); SES; SNRM; Sync Rate; Uptime; Ping time to bbc.co.uk
- Full built-in Telnet support
- Minute, hourly and daily calculations of some statistics for estimation or averaging purposes
- A maximum and minimum value so that you know the highest and lowest points of a specific value (for the duration of the application's runtime that is, this will fully work soon)
- Hourly (based on uptime) snapshots of the bit tones
- Developed in C#.NET (.NET Framework 4.5)

Other graphs can be added as development progresses if required. Not only does the application make individual graphs it can also put them into a montage forming as a single image. At the time of posting this preview the max/min columns on the summary don't work yet, but I plan to implement them though.

Preview Images: http://81.138.100.210/images/2013-6-2/01_summary.png for summary, or go to http://81.138.100.210/images/ for other days and graphs.

Feedback and questions are welcome. I hope to release this by the middle of next week if it's proving to be stable still by then.

08/06/13 23:47: The program is theoretically ready to be beta tested, I will release it in a new thread once I know more on whether my estimation values are accurate (see recent reply).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:47:06 PM by Ixel »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Preview: HG612 Statistics App by Ixel
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »

EDIT: Just noticed a bug, an easy way to get confused. On the output power graphs you'll notice that US3 band is showing as 0 dBm, of course there's no U3 band on BT's FTTC so I need to make it so that line disappears if it's 'N/A'.

Many of us also see N/A for the U2 band & a few also see it for the U1 band, only being able to use the U0 band.

Code: [Select]

xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 2
Max: Upstream rate = 4641 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20440 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 4597 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20186 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:       4641 kbps         20440 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:        6.2 dBm          12.1 dBm
============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB): 8.2 54.4   N/A   N/A 22.1 64.4 0.1
Signal Attenuation(dB): 8.2 53.6   N/A   N/A 22.1 64.4   N/A
        SNR Margin(dB): 6.1 6.3   N/A   N/A 6.2 6.2   N/A
         TX Power(dBm): -4.5 5.8   N/A   N/A 11.3 3.7   N/A

FWIW, I disabled reporting anything from the U3 band & chose to report 0 dBm for any other bands that show N/A - just to show that they are being monitored, but knowing that 0 dBm really means N/A.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:19:23 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:36:30 PM »

I see it on Line but no Signal for U2 :(

Will test this out later (when available), seems nice good work!

Happy to-do some beta testing!

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:11:01 AM »

Thanks for comments so far. Maybe I'll keep 'N/A' bands reporting as 0 dBm then. I've done a mis-calculation somewhere as to the number of data points on the charts, as the latest charts for 02/06/2013 (yesterday, at time of posting this message that is) have a gap at the end, I'll figure that one out in the morning. I'll let it run as it is for the whole night, I still need to implement a way of saving stats in a specific format so that the application can recall them in the event of a crash, power failure or other type of temination of the application.

EDIT: Found the issue with the miscalculation I believe, applied a fix and I've also now moved the application to the home server, the images will therefore update every minute whilst the application is running. This also allows me to continue coding without interupting the statistics collation.

EDIT 2: Found a bug with one of the graphs (uptime) not increasing the maximum value shown on the chart, therefore the uptime is going off the viewable area.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:27:56 AM by Ixel »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »

An update to say that I'm adding another graph to the current set of graphs. This graph will display the bits per tone, a preview of the new graph is available at http://i.imgur.com/XKM64kr.png?1. All being well I should be able to release this by the middle of this week.

EDIT: Found a glitch where if the connection loses sync the summary page seems to go blank. I believe I know the cause and will apply a fix this evening.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:37:10 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:25:05 PM »

Just a very quick note. A sleepy feline eye has noticed that you appear to have an issue with the file naming on your server.  ???

Perhaps 08_sync_rate.png, 09_uptime_ping.png and 10_montage.jpg:-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

Well spotted. Thanks I'll fix the duplicate numbers in the update tonight. _montage isn't meant to have a number for deliberate reasons (it relates to how I combine the images at the moment). For the moment stats aren't logging, they'll resume around midnight again in the next version. I've been playing around with the ECI /r, but I may not develop for that at the moment given I can't use LAN2 to connect to it. Was fun playing with the LED's though, that being I found a .sh file that turned them all off, all on, normal or having the power LED turn red. If a solution for having LAN2 working on the /r one day exists then I'll develop a version of this for that as well. I'll work on finalising this one before I do though.

EDIT: Update applied. Statistics are now running again. Hopefully that's all that needed to be fixed, I've also made it so that the bit tones are stored in a separate directory and every 60 minutes of uptime will result in a snapshot being made.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:41:55 AM by Ixel »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »

A question, does anyone know if the bit tones data change over time (on a HG612) or if it's just once per sync? If it's just once per sync then my snapshot idea seems pretty pointless. If it's not then I may have found another bug and will need to figure that one out (all the snapshots look the same).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »

A question, does anyone know if the bit tones data change over time (on a HG612) or if it's just once per sync? If it's just once per sync then my snapshot idea seems pretty pointless. If it's not then I may have found another bug and will need to figure that one out (all the snapshots look the same).

With the new blob the reported bitloading doesn't change between syncs, but with the earlier unlocked firmware the bitloading changes continually.
  Eric

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »

How's the progress with this? excited to give it ago!

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:15:16 PM »

How's the progress with this? excited to give it ago!

All seems stable, as per the graphs if you're keeping an eye on them occasionally (they're saving and uploaded every 1 minute). I would like to add a few more graphs/details before public release, but I think I'll skip that and consider that a later date. I'll probably release it tomorrow at some point. I just need to add a method of configuring the IP address of what your HG612 currently uses, incase it was changed.

EDIT: Done basic configuration for the IP address now, a simple 'ipaddress.txt' file. The program will check if it exists, and if it does exist then whether the IP address specified is a valid IPv4. If it fails either of these checks then it will display an error message and temporarily use '192.168.1.1' for that session. I'll likely release it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:49:03 PM by Ixel »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »

Just a final update to this thread to state that I intend to release this later today for beta testing. Some minor changes to the code have been made since the last update, as well as the additions of "Line Attenuation 1.1 MHz (dB)" and "Line Attenuation 2.2 MHz (dB)" which are based on two fairly simple calculations.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »

I'll be releasing it within the next couple of hours now, but before I do I have one final question.

On my estimated line length and estimated line attentuations (at 1.1 MHz and 2.2 MHz), could someone confirm if the following values seem reasonably accurate? Reason I ask is that I have implemented this into my application today.

Based on my line...
Code: [Select]
Estimated Line Length: 250 m
Line Atten (1.1 MHz):  3.46 dB
Line Atten (2.2 MHz):  6.91 dB

Line Atten DS1:        11.6 dB
Attainable Rate DS:    93000 Kbps~

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Additional summary image now implemented with most of the above details mentioned, along with a rather experimental speed estimation. See http://81.138.100.210/images/2013-6-9/02_summary.png
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:08:36 AM by Ixel »