Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone else have this?  (Read 5760 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Anyone else have this?
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »

Please see the attached snapshot below. 

IMO, it appears to be, more or less, 2:1 (thanks Eric!) square-wave periodic, and has been like this since it 'suddenly' appeared at about 3pm on 08/05/2013.  Not causing me any problems, but it is strange, to say the least.  Can't think what it could possibly be trying to achieve if it's deliberate.  :-\  There is no corresponding pattern in output power levels in case you were wondering.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:52:07 PM by ColinS »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Anyone else have this?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »

What does it look like if you reduce the number of hours per page to 2 (say)?
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

Like below Eric.  For possible reassurance, a copy of BE's equivalent graph is also attached.  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:45:13 PM by ColinS »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »

I have a slightly similar issue in my thread to this, not sure as to the cause though. A couple of months back mine was virtually flat all day long.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »

It seems to go up and down on a roughly 10-minute cycle, with about 3 minutes at the higher level and 7 minutes at the lower. I can't think of anything obvious which has that sort of cycle.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »

It seems to go up and down on a roughly 10-minute cycle, with about 3 minutes at the higher level and 7 minutes at the lower. I can't think of anything obvious which has that sort of cycle.
Yeah, and it's hard to decide if the excursions are positive or negative.  Presumably downward  :-\

Like you, I can't think of anything (certainly not around here!) with that sort of cycle, and the squared-off flip-flop nature of it is very unusual.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 01:48:48 PM »

I have a slightly similar issue in my thread to this, not sure as to the cause though. A couple of months back mine was virtually flat all day long.
Yes, I was tempted to answer your question with +/- 0.5dB  :lol: But I thought it was best not to confuse matters.  I've had ONE night since this started when it suddenly went flat again, but then reverted to the flip-flop business again in the morning.  The cynic in me believes it's something in the cabinet, but then I would say that wouldn't I.  ::)

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »

I've seen that on a DG834GT before - was the wall-wart PSU.

Got another you could try?

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »

I had this 7 days ago when I had a re-sync (manual restart), exact same but more frequently. After 4/5 hours just went flat, wasn't there before I restarted the modem appeared after the re-sync so was kinda weird for me.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:32:18 PM by ryant704 »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »

I've seen that on a DG834GT before - was the wall-wart PSU.
Got another you could try?
Well, if you're referring to the one that powers the modem, in a way I already have: during this time I have swapped out the HG612 for the HG622 and back again, and this ripple continued unabashed.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »

I had this 7 days ago when I had a re-sync (manual restart), exact same but more frequently. After 4/5 hours just went flat, wasn't there before I restarted the modem appeared after the re-sync so was kinda weird for me.
:hmm: It's only gone flat for me once during the last month - once overnight - without other intervention (e.g. resync).  Are you on the HG612 too, I can't remember if you said somewhere?

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »

Yea, I'm using the HG612.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »

Thought it might be informative to show the impact that this SNRm 'ripple' has on bitloadings.  :graduate:

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »

Have you checked it's not the VDSL2 faceplate filter?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »

Have you checked it's not the VDSL2 faceplate filter?
Actually, I don't use a SSFP.  I'm on distributed filtering. :) However, I have changed these, yes.

There has been a change today that makes me more certain that it is the DSLAM.  After a resync at ~5:30 this morning, it continued with the same ~7 min 2:1 square wave for another 3 hours before settling into something more like the normal line variation for 7hrs before a ripple re-emerges, though now at half the amplitude and twice the rate!

Go figure, but my guess is it's the DSLAM itself.  Perhaps a faulty line card or PSU in the cabinet. :-\ Still can't think of any useful reason for such behaviour.  :no:
Pages: [1] 2

anything