Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Average amount of SNR fluctation daily  (Read 3032 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Average amount of SNR fluctation daily
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:09:30 PM »

Hi all,
I was wondering what your typical SNR fluctuations are on a daily basis, as I remember mine being more steady than they are occasionally getting recently (since the line fault fix a few months back that is). Check out the past couple of days. I haven't started recording with my app until a few weeks ago, but I did occasionally check the SNR on the web UI. Some days make an exception where the SNR is virtually flat and steady though. I've recently switched to the new blob on the HG612 which for internet performance is running nice. No problems with the connection at all, other than the speed band of 60 megabits which I've previously been unable to get BT to reset since my previous line fault fix a few months back, still an excellent speed though as I'm sure many would love to get.

Anyway, here's my graphs using my unreleased program (click here), it's not fit for release at present though sadly. I would use the other graphing scripts but they don't seem to work on the server O/S anymore, just doesn't record data for some strange reason. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about their connection and whether this is fairly typical.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: Average amount of SNR fluctation daily
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »

They look very impressive indeed, Ixel!   In what language did you develop the tool?   If you have time, maybe it could be made to work with the ECI as well? 

cheers, a

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »

They look very impressive indeed, Ixel!   In what language did you develop the tool?   If you have time, maybe it could be made to work with the ECI as well? 

cheers, a

The tool itself is developed in C#.NET. I had originally planned to release it as per the thread in the monitoring section a while back, but unfortunately with life the way it is, I was delayed and I'm having some issues with maintaining a stable console session. Currently I'm fetching data from the web UI (yes I know CRC/HEC or w/e it is now, knew at the time of developing anyway, is mixed up, but I accounted for that anomaly). I'm going to start working on it again as of this weekend, at the moment though I'm just wondering if my connection is showing minor and growing signs of instability ahead (maybe the faceplate, as the original installed faceplate did this but in a far more serious way). I did do an ECI variant, though again it's not holding a stable session.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »

Well your tool is certainly worth releasing. It's very impressive. That was no mean feat getting the data from the web interface, what with authentication and obtaining the session cookie, etc.   If you had time, maybe you could do the scraping via the telnet interface, for other data not present in the web interface.    Though the ECI is perhaps where choice is lacking in terms of data scraping tools.  And just as with the Broadcom 63xx, the Lantiq userspace API to the line stats is used in a lot of devices other than the ECI, some quite high end, like your(?) FritzBox 7360.

cheers, a

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:52:54 PM »

Well your tool is certainly worth releasing. It's very impressive. That was no mean feat getting the data from the web interface, what with authentication and obtaining the session cookie, etc.   If you had time, maybe you could do the scraping via the telnet interface, for other data not present in the web interface.    Though the ECI is perhaps where choice is lacking in terms of data scraping tools.  And just as with the Broadcom 63xx, the Lantiq userspace API to the line stats is used in a lot of devices other than the ECI, some quite high end, like your(?) FritzBox 7360.

cheers, a

Thanks. Well tomorrow I'll continue development, try and get telnet working stable so that I don't need to rely on web UI data (and some mixing around of error counters so that I'm getting the right data), then I'll see what I can do in the way of ECI, as I will need 100% working and stable telnet for that. I would like to get this working fully on an ECI, I really must get round to trying out some of the stuff on an ECI via telnet, there were one or two things I noticed mentioning setting a maximum sync rate (channel rate might've been called though?). My Fritz!Box 7390, which I now miss (I sold it on), had settings to force the maximum sync rate on DS and US, as well as offset the target SNRM. When fiddling I found that the cab didn't permit changes to impulse noise protection (INP) though. It will be interesting to see if I can force a maximum sync rate on the ECI.

Well, at least there's one good thing with my connection the way it is, I don't need to worry about upsetting DLM as it doesn't seem to bother with my line (hasn't for months) :).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:00:33 AM by Ixel »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:32:08 AM »

Wow, sounds like you've got something there, Ixel !! You may as well be muttering away in Klingon as far as I'm concerned, but if Asbo recognises it as a good tool .....  then it will be. Nice one.  :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:02:45 PM »

Wow, sounds like you've got something there, Ixel !! You may as well be muttering away in Klingon as far as I'm concerned, but if Asbo recognises it as a good tool .....  then it will be. Nice one.  :)

Thanks.

I've now successfully managed to get a stable Telnet connection built into the application, no third party library or program required. I'm now in the process of working out what to extract from the data received so that my application understands what to do with it.

On the original note however, does anyone have any insights or opinions regarding my connection? I've just resynced today (stats not available however as I'm busy working on this for the moment) and I noticed my upstream power has reduced to 5 dBm with no difference in the upstream attainable rate though. Downstream attainable rate has fluctuated a bit as usual though but the power is the same.