Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: DSLstats v3.3 released  (Read 16878 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats v3.3 released
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 04:33:33 PM »

Received it, thanks.

The "LastCheck" should be OK - it's the last time the program checked to see if an updated version is available, and it's remembered in the inifile. But I see that the date format is different to mine, so I will make sure that this isn't the issue (it shouldn't be).
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 07:58:56 AM »

I haven't been able to reproduce this error, but I'm fairly sure that I've located its source (in the clean-up code after it logs your IP address). I'll be uploading corrected versions later today.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 08:30:41 AM »

I haven't been able to reproduce this error, but I'm fairly sure that I've located its source (in the clean-up code after it logs your IP address). I'll be uploading corrected versions later today.
Well done Eric. :clap2:  You're a star!  :dance:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 10:47:59 AM »

:-[

Corrected (hopefully) version 3.31 now available for download.

http://dslstats.plainroad.me.uk
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »

:thumbs: :dance: :clap2:

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »

Just a very minor one from me, when I selected 'close button minimizes program' it still tries to close it :D

I don't know if you remember I was having crashes with one of the other versions of rs-ux, I'll let you know if I'm having any problems with this one :)

The other problem I had with the GUI cutting off half the text has been fixed.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:42 PM »

Just a very minor one from me, when I selected 'close button minimizes program' it still tries to close it

I guess you're talking about the window close button in the title bar? That one does close the program. The program Exit button (the one with a cross and a down arrow) is the one which is affected by the option "Exit button minimises program". It's possibly not an ideal arrangement, but as this is a cross-platform application I found that the behaviour of the window close button was different on different operating systems.

The other problem I had with the GUI cutting off half the text has been fixed.

Thanks for letting me know.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 01:27:38 AM »

I shall mention something I have just observed, something that I'll describe as a quirk . . .  :)

Having 'scrolled back in time' to review some earlier events, I decided to stop recording and close the utility. As I have the 'snapshot all active graphs upon closure' function configured, the graphs were duly created. On checking the contents of these last snapshot graphs I discovered that they were of the period 'back in time' and not of the current period.

My conclusion, therefore, is that the snapshot function will create an image of the currently displayed range regardless of the time-frame.

I wonder what happens if one is looking back into the past at the precise moment when an automagical snapshot is taken? It needs to be tested but is somewhat difficult to set-up  . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »

Yes, you accurately describe what happens: snapshots of the time-related graphs all show the view at the time of the snapshot. Obviously I need to retain that for manual snapshots, but I agree that auto snapshots should show the current time view. I'll correct this.

Sorry, I was wrong. :-[   Having checked the code, I see that auto snapshots are taken after a sample is processed, so all the time-related graphs should have returned to the current time view. So the situation you describe applies only to the shutdown situation. It's still a little quirk which needs correction.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:06:27 AM by roseway »
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »

Thank you for looking, Eric. If it is not something that can easily be 'taken care-of' within the code then just a mention in the documentation would be sufficient, I think.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »

Suggestion:
Can you give more options on the SNR chart clipping level
Currently just maximums of 20 and 10.
These are in effect the Y axis scaling commands available. So giving you a scale of either 0-20 or 0-10.

It would be nice to be able to expand the scale on this graph to suit.
If program had both more options on the top clipping levels and also a new bottom clip level options box as well this would be possible

So for instance in my particular case I could choose to look at the D/S SNR margin by itself  (target SNRM is 3) I could say clip from 0-6 or if I wanted to look at the U/S margin I could clip from 10-20 (Interleaved for U/S  - sync limited to 888 so I have a simply huge U/S SNR margin - 20 is only just enough!)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:06 PM »

Can you give more options on the SNR chart clipping level
Currently just maximums of 20 and 10.
These are in effect the Y axis scaling commands available. So giving you a scale of either 0-20 or 0-10.

That's not quite how it works at present. The Y axis scaling is a function of the actual values plotted, so if you never see values higher than 10, then the graph will scale to a maximum of 10, regardless of the clipping level. The clipping level just acts as a maximum limit on the Y axis.

I agree that it can be improved, and I'll take a serious look at your suggestion.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 03:22:11 PM »

Thinking about this some more, I propose to offer two different options for the SNRM graph. The present arrangement would be the default, but an alternative would be to disable autoscaling completely, and allow the user to set the max and min Y axis values directly. You'll be able to switch between the two views with a single click.
  Eric

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 04:04:43 PM »

Sounds good to me.
Keep up the good work!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats