Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 'Talk to Sky' evening on BE Forums = Use own phone supplier & routers  (Read 11144 times)

saabw

As a sceptic I would agree, but there is no ambiguity in the language used by Lyssa and the team, so there should as I said be some credence given and until she gets fired for telling untruths you have to assume her word is her bond. What has been said is probable true and is a short term strategy to calm O2/Be members fears and not incite everyone overboard.

I see the strategy move O2/Be to SMPF to keep 500k users the introduction of MPF now has merit (as these exhnages did not have enough skyusers to warrant exhange upgrade) then give the option to stay or leave and probably retain 350-450k with BB& phone with 200k opting for TV as well. Sky have to have the bait to catch, that's for the sceptics among us

Rizla your right it won't happen only because of the strategy above

That sky world domination in action
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:25:34 PM by saabw »
Windows 11 64bit
ISP/Router soon to be BRSK, Technicolor DWA0122
Connection Speed  500Mbps down/up

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Snadge, I have to agree with Rizla.

Until Sky changes the Ts and Cs and/or notifies their customers of these changes (if they happen) in writing, this post by 'Sky' means nothing as it is not a legally binding commitment. This sounds more like what Sky would like to offer, which could be very different from what they will offer :)

snadge

• Kitizen

well lets wait and see what happens, im not to bothered about it, simply passing on the info
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Re: 'Talk to Sky' evening on BE Forums = Use own phone supplier & routers
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »

That's a good way of putting it saabw :

"Sky have to bait the hook" :)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

May I offer my book-maker's services to you all?!  :D

Cheers, a

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »

[Mockquote]our intention was...... but having encountered insuperable problems we regret that we have decided not [/mockquote]

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »

I think sky have learned from the ukonline situation.

They closed ukonline and expected the customers to merrily jump onto sky, which had DLM, lack of static ip etc.  I think instead many moved onto pastures new.

Sky probably learnt from this and now seem to be compromising to keep BE customers happy.

Also on FTTC sky seem to be planning to start a service where they can manage the dslams themselves as they have made a request to ofcom to allow it.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »

lack of static ip etc.  I think instead many moved onto pastures new.

Sky probably learnt from this and now seem to be compromising to keep BE customers happy.
No news on Static IP as yet and there's every expectation of migrations starting soon....... :-X

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »

Also on FTTC sky seem to be planning to start a service where they can manage the dslams themselves as they have made a request to ofcom to allow it.

Ummm why?

Theres nothing stopping them adding their own DSLAM and connecting to the cab if they want.. 
...or they can access the BTw DSLAM and use the BTw Fibre back to the exchange where its handed over to them.

Or if they are that keen why dont they directly roll out their own Fibre in certain areas.

I dont see the point in direct access and management of the BTw DSLAM..  are they ever going to open up direct management of their MSANs for other SPs.  Nope I dont think so.   :no:

I dont see any other Telcom ever having to do this...  If I were BTw and had gone to the huge expense of installing cabs & equipment I wouldnt want other companies to be able to manage the hardware.

Sky is becoming the big boy of SPs, not sure if I like it.  They want things all their own way and are hardly flexible when it comes to their own products.

No news on Static IP as yet and there's every expectation of migrations starting soon.

Time is getting short.. its reeking of a delay tactic, if they havent sorted out static IPs yet, then what hope is there for the other things they promised theyd consider.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 07:44:02 AM »

kitz well there is the adding dslam to cabinet which is already possible as you said but I guess they consider that too expensive.  Also that isnt good for the future of vectoring.

What they have asked ofcom is a sort of intermediate option where they can rent the dslam ports directly having control of them.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »

>> What they have asked ofcom is a sort of intermediate option where they can rent the dslam ports directly having control of them.

Exactly and that is something that no other SP does, or has to do worldwide.   If BT has gone to the massive outlay country wide to install the DSLAMs why should they have to give control over to someone else.   As mentioned even in the exchanges no SP gives anyone renting a port on the MSAN control of those ports and every port is managed the same.

I may have missed something but Im not sure how its good for the future of vectoring, Sky have never been pioneers and always ride on the back of someone elses investment/infrastructure. Even taking over of Be/o2 network they are abandoning some of the more advanced options such as annex-m and a DLM that the user can control themselves.  They also abandoned some of the more pioneering options from Easynet such as SRA.  Instead now sky customers have a DLM that Im not sure I like as it can serve to rate limit the EU and also  no option to turn off interleaving fully regardless or not if the line needs it.

If anything this only serves to hinder BT as they would have to set up a new system in order to give sky control of the DSLAM ports, therefore costing BT more outlay.  Like I say theres already several  options for another SP to choose from if they want to. 

In reality it could be a backward step for Vectoring as all lines need to be managed the same for it to work effectively and opening up the ports for SP configuration could prove problematic in this area.

Why dont they perhaps go after Virgin?   Does anyone else have access to the Virgin network nope.   I cant recall where I read it now, but BT took a chance with the nationwide roll out of FTTC costing them x billions and they estimate it will cost something like 11 yrs? before they get the full return of the outlay.   

I guess we shall just have to wait and see what OFCOM say. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »

Kitz,
In reality it could be a backward step for Vectoring as all lines need to be managed the same for it to work effectively and opening up the ports for SP configuration could prove problematic in this area.
I think you just misread Chrysalis, he was saying the same thing as you really
Also that isnt good for the future of vectoring.
The obvious point is that for vectoring to work properly all the lines in the FTTC cabinet need to be vectored by one DSLAM. I am not aware of any capability to do so across multiple DSLAMs, whether in the same cabinet or not. :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 11:41:33 AM »

I think you just misread Chrysalis, he was saying the same thing as you really

Apologies - I did.
Must stop speed reading  :blush:
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »

>> What they have asked ofcom is a sort of intermediate option where they can rent the dslam ports directly having control of them.

Exactly and that is something that no other SP does, or has to do worldwide.   If BT has gone to the massive outlay country wide to install the DSLAMs why should they have to give control over to someone else.   As mentioned even in the exchanges no SP gives anyone renting a port on the MSAN control of those ports and every port is managed the same.

I may have missed something but Im not sure how its good for the future of vectoring, Sky have never been pioneers and always ride on the back of someone elses investment/infrastructure. Even taking over of Be/o2 network they are abandoning some of the more advanced options such as annex-m and a DLM that the user can control themselves.  They also abandoned some of the more pioneering options from Easynet such as SRA.  Instead now sky customers have a DLM that Im not sure I like as it can serve to rate limit the EU and also  no option to turn off interleaving fully regardless or not if the line needs it.

If anything this only serves to hinder BT as they would have to set up a new system in order to give sky control of the DSLAM ports, therefore costing BT more outlay.  Like I say theres already several  options for another SP to choose from if they want to. 

Why dont they perhaps go after Virgin?   Does anyone else have access to the Virgin network nope.   I cant recall where I read it now, but BT took a chance with the nationwide roll out of FTTC costing them x billions and they estimate it will cost something like 11 yrs? before they get the full return of the outlay.   

I guess we shall just have to wait and see what OFCOM say. 

for whats worth I do agree with you.  Whilst its great for the consumer that they may have a way of escaping openreach DLM on FTTC (but probably onto sky DLM), I think that would be a unwise move from ofcom to enforce sky's wishes.  It will also likely hinder future investment as well in the tech.  Although for vectoring its better than if sky installed their own dslams, the risk is if sky buy dslams they could be a diff vendor and then is a mismatch of vendors across a cable bundle.  The best for vectoring is the current situation which is one supplier only.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:35:31 AM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2]