Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fibre nowhere near estimate.  (Read 5895 times)

Thrashlisaro

• Just arrived
Fibre nowhere near estimate.
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »

Hi Guys

I moved over to fibre at the start of April as I was informed that I could get about 38-45mb out of my line via various providers (Sky, BT, Talktalk & Plusnet)

I chose Talktalk for my provider and I am there Fibre Medium Package which is up to 38mb. I have replaced the supplied Huawei router with a Asus N66 this has as expected greatly improved my WiFi coverage, but has had no effect on the raw line speed.

I have had the line installed now for over a month and a half and I have been averaging around 24mb on various speed tests which is clearly not what I was expecting and is not a massive upgrade from the 16mb I was getting over ADSL. I hoped this speed would climb over time but sadly it has remained constant.

My router is on 24/7 as is the BTOR modem and as far as I am aware we have had little or no outages to adversely effect the speed.

I get this speed wired/wireless and connected directly to the ECI BTOR Modem, with it being ECI I dont really feel comfortable taking it apart to have poke and prod inside to gain access to the "sync" stats.

I will update this post with speedtest results tonight.

I have also re-run speed estimates with Plusnet, BT and Sky today  and they all estimate that I will receive in the region of 40-46mb. So clearly this speed or in the region of this speed should be attainable due to my distance (around 500-600 meters) from the Fibre cabinet.

This is what the BT Wholesale checker states for my Address.

Any ideas people? or what information could I supply?

Cheers
Steve

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Fibre nowhere near estimate.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum,

Firstly the BT Wholesale estimate isn't really worth the electrons to display it on your screen and is not a good weapon to ask for anything more, nor even a site visit.

(See my other post of early this morning.)

It doesn't help having to deal with TalkTalk either !

However I suggest you start with the basics as, particularly installation subcontractors, cannot be relied upon to check your line conditions.
Is your modem directly connected to a new dual-port Master socket with the RJ11 port directly connected to the modem ?
Have all the ring wires on terminal 3 been disconnected on the lower part of the master socket and throughout the house for good measure ?
If you start to dial a number is the line absolutely silent ?
Do the modem lights flash immediately you ring your number from elsewhere - e.g. a mobile phone ?

If you do need to investigate things like bridge tap conditions then I suggest you obtain an unlocked Huawei modem.
I'm sure others will comment more should that be the case.

Kind regards,
Walter

Thrashlisaro

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »

Cheers for the reply Walter

In answer to your questions.

Yup direct connection from the master socket to the BTOR modem.
Only have one socket in the house and the BTOR modem is connected to it.
I need to check for silence tonight and I'll report back.
Ill check the flashing lights to :)

I have already got a support request in with TalkTalk but I know there service is pretty horrid In a way I wish I'd have gone with Plusnet, Sky or BT.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »

I know that TT dont have a good reputation but usually if you use their forums and follow their guidelines rigorously then although a tad slow it usually works. I've been with them for some years now and not had huge problems with support, actually not had many problems at all.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Thrashlisaro

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »

Cheers for the reply.

I've gone straight to the members forums already, as a techie person I feel insulted phoning the call centres when they tell me its all due to my browser cache being full :)

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »

Cheers for the reply.

I've gone straight to the members forums already, as a techie person I feel insulted phoning the call centres when they tell me its all due to my browser cache being full :)

Sky use the "your computer/router has too many connections active" excuse :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »

But I expect you've read about my jungle hunting with a BT service so that only leaves ????

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12513.msg236154.html#msg236154

Plusnet has IMHO far better fault processing systems complete with an on-line fault ticket log.

Kind regards,
Walter

Thrashlisaro

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »

Yeah I am currently in a vague queue system on the TT forums.

Sadly I fear that I am either going to be lumbered with an engineer visit charge or stuck with a product that's not as advertised.

Thrashlisaro

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »

After some testing via a direct connection to the BTOR box last night and a firmware flash on my router it would magically seem I am now able to get about 38mb which is 14mb better than I was getting yesterday....very odd Hey Ho mustn't grumble :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »

Yeah I am currently in a vague queue system on the TT forums.

The important thing to be aware of with the TT forums is that once you have created a report ONLY update it by editing your post because TT forum staff work through the forum from the oldest thread order and a normal update will make your thread seem a new one so effectively you go to the bottom of the queue each time an additional post is made by you (or anyone else trying to be helpful). It is possible to lock your thread to stop anyone else posting to it and this will prevent you getting further from help, you can still unlock it to edit more information into your first post and the TT staff can also unlock it to update it.

Stuart

Thrashlisaro

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »

Cheers Stuart..thats a lesson I learnt a while back, just edit the post dont bump :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »

Cheers Stuart..thats a lesson I learnt a while back, just edit the post dont bump :)

Recently I had two people 'try' to be helpful and suggest things which is why I mentioned the locking as well because these 'helpful folks' put me back down the queue again.   >:(

Stuart

Thrashlisaro

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

Its a very "cockeyed" system they have.

Anyhow decided to chance my arm with TT and asked for the upgrade to the 80/20 which they recon I'll get 46/8 from which will do nicely I think.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »

@ Steve,

Don't forget to enquire if TT have to arrange for a BT O site visit before they will complete the change to your banded profile you will then be paying for.

Kind regards,
Walter

Thrashlisaro

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »

Well had my notification that I have been put on "large" Fibre this morning and I ran some quick speed tests while eating my Shreddies.

Now getting around 50mb Down and 19 Up so I am more than happy with that.
Pages: [1] 2