Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: FTTC 'Go live' dates.  (Read 90509 times)

bossian

Re: FTTC 'Go live' dates.
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »

Rizla.....my home number on the BT site....

Available Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTC Up to 62.9 Up to 20 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4.5 -- 3.5 to 5.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 4.5 Up to 0.5 3.5 to 5.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3.5 -- 2.5 to 4.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate  1  -- -- Available
Fixed Rate  1  -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

My work number shows....

Featured Products

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 0.5 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate  1  -- -- Available
Fixed Rate  1  -- -- Available

Both numbers are on the 287 prefix, but I know my work number, that's on cpc10, is delayed as they're still doing the civils on Groby Road. The contractors have a hole open at the moment and after a peak down the hole I can see it's for the mains connection. On my walk to work this morning I thought I would take a little detour past cpc7 and it was nice to here the fans humming in the top!!

As for PlusNet, I was amazed too that when I checked on my upgrade options this morning I found that I had 2 new fibre options in the list! I was expecting a 2/3 week delay before PlusNet picked up BT's upgrade....but I'm not complaining! So I took the top deal and it went through with 3 dates I gave them for the connection date. The only thing that's a bit amiss, is the BT site is saying 62.9 down and 20 up, PlusNet are saying 62.9 down and 10 up?? Will have to see how that pans out.

And would you believe it, as I'm writing this, PlusNet have just text me to confirm my engineers appointment for 9th July between 1 and 6pm ;D ;D

Will be interesting what speeds I can get at work......that modem is approx. 60 metres from the cab......my home is (as I walk measured it) approx. 350 metres.

Nice little tech question for you tech-heads.....seeing as both my work and my home are going to be connected to the same exchange.....what route will my VPN connection take? With it all happen in the exchange?

Just had an email from PlusNet...and in that they are saying upload 20! So that issue is solved.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:43:56 PM by bossian »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »

Hi BossIan,

It wouldn't be the first appointment if it is confirmed some time after your selected date.
It seems to depend upon the workload in the area so not just your particular exchange.

As you can understand there is bound to be a major change in installation demands just after FTTC cabs become available.

Kind regards,
Walter

bossian

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 08:26:19 PM »

Walter, when I did the PlusNet upgrade this morning, PN gave me options on dates for the engineer visit......the 9th is when I will be off work at the first chance for the appointment. I was given the choice of choosing 3 dates, so chose 9th, 10th and 11th respectively. I could've gone for the 5th as it showed as available.

I wonder if I'm first on the cab....due to my being nosey all the way through BT doing the upgrade? Is there anyway of finding out your position/connection point on the cab?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »

Nice one Bossian. Another example of quality work by Openreach ensuring a 'Go Live' date way ahead of schedule. Enjoy your new speeds when it happens, you'll be extremely happy I promise you !! :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »

@ BS,

You could tell BossIan how the tie cable pair numberings work so he can glance at the engineers note with an understanding look !

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »

Ha ha ......... it all depends on where the tie-cables are positioned in the PCP. Generally, they will be on the far right-hand side of the PCP, but can be sited on the far left if space requirements dictate.

By way of an example, if there are 600 existing E and D sides in the Copper Cab, the new ties will be allocated as E and D 601-700. So, if the installation engineers mapping is ........ E312 to D623 --- E623 to D478 ........ this means the circuit is the 23rd port to be made 'live'.
This means the existing routing in the copper cab was .... E312 to D478.

We do have what is called 'Straight pinned' routings, whereby the existing copper E and D sides are the same ....... so the engineers mapping details could then show as ....... E312 to D623 --- E623 to D312 .......... again, this means the Fibre port is port 23 and the original routing was '312 straight-pinned'.

What I'm labouring to say, is if Bossian manages a peek at the engineers field book, he should be looking for a 'pair' of numbers to find the number port he has been allocated. If there are 2 sets of numbered 'pairs', it would usually be the higher numbered pair that indicates the fibre port.

Hope this makes sense ??

bossian

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »

Ha ha ......... it all depends on where the tie-cables are positioned in the PCP. Generally, they will be on the far right-hand side of the PCP, but can be sited on the far left if space requirements dictate.

By way of an example, if there are 600 existing E and D sides in the Copper Cab, the new ties will be allocated as E and D 601-700. So, if the installation engineers mapping is ........ E312 to D623 --- E623 to D478 ........ this means the circuit is the 23rd port to be made 'live'.
This means the existing routing in the copper cab was .... E312 to D478.

We do have what is called 'Straight pinned' routings, whereby the existing copper E and D sides are the same ....... so the engineers mapping details could then show as ....... E312 to D623 --- E623 to D312 .......... again, this means the Fibre port is port 23 and the original routing was '312 straight-pinned'.

What I'm labouring to say, is if Bossian manages a peek at the engineers field book, he should be looking for a 'pair' of numbers to find the number port he has been allocated. If there are 2 sets of numbered 'pairs', it would usually be the higher numbered pair that indicates the fibre port.

Hope this makes sense ??

3 re-reads later and I do get it! 8)

Quite simple really and logical....lets hope he pits his clipboard, job sheet down for me to nose....or I can just ask him...

I think first off the cab is a bit of a result....but may be a bit geeky...ah well, roll on the 9th!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 08:52:11 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just the 3 re-reads ?? It took me 5 and I wrote the damned thing !!  ;D

bossian

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just the 3 re-reads ?? It took me 5 and I wrote the damned thing !!  ;D

You should see me with flat pack furniture  :D

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 07:01:59 AM »

Amusingly the BT Wholesale checker is once again returning FTTC speed estimates, however it now gives an RFS date of 31 March 2014  ???

bossian

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »

Amusingly the BT Wholesale checker is once again returning FTTC speed estimates, however it now gives an RFS date of 31 March 2014  ???

Hahaha yeah, my wok number has gone back on the system as showing March 2014 ???

On way to work I see that the mains joint has been completed and the hole filled in......no humming from the cab yet...will check tomorrow ;)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:44 PM »

Hi BossIan,

The important one to look for is blowing the fibre usually back from the FTTC to the distribution node, assuming all sections of the quad or 7 tube "cable" are in place.
That operation can well takes several hours, depending upon fibre length and any possible snags.

Re RFS Dates, if you consider just how many different agencies are involved and the number of blocked ducts and the sheer quantities being deployed, it is easy to see how invalid data is fed to the BT Wholesale estimating RFS logic. I've seen several sets of wildly fluctuating dates but most change immediately the actual date mentioned has been reached. Others change back to more realistic ones soon after the total installation is completed. I.e. take all the dates with a pinch of salt. If you can chat up the fibre blowing team you might get an idea when the fibre is complete, but even that depends upon all the exchange components being completed as well.

Kind regards,
Walter

PS Have you looked at your PMs ?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:57:51 PM by waltergmw »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »

Exchanges now released

Exchange Name   1141   SAUID   Directorate   GM NAME   CST NAME   LCM OUC   Vendor
Calthorpe   BM/CAL   CMCAL   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Birmingham & Black Country   BVG441   ECI
Castleham   HCA   NDCAS   South   South East   Central Downs   BVH324   ECI
Glenfield   GF   EMGLNFI   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Leicester   BVG431   ECI
Littlewick Green   LWG   THLG   South   Wessex   Maidenhead   BVH236   Huawei
Ludlow   LOH   WNLUD   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Mid Wales & Shrewsbury   BVG495   ECI
Peterhead   PJ   NSPET   North   Scotland   North East Scotland   BVG126   ECI
Port Talbot   PTB   SWPTB   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Swansea   BVH121   ECI
Tenterden   TBF   NDTEN   South   South East   Central Downs   BVH325   ECI

Next Releases

Exchange Name   1141   SAUID   Directorate   GM NAME   CST NAME   LCM OUC   Vendor   Release
Adel   ADO   MYADE   North   North East   West Yorkshire   BVG236   ECI   2 weeks
Allesley   ALJ   CMALL   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Coventry   BVH115   ECI   2 weeks
Arrowebrook   LV/ARR   LVARR   North   North West   Merseyside   BVG357   Huawei   2 weeks
Bamber Bridge   BAW   LCBAB   North   North West   Lancs   BVG374   ECI   2 weeks
Boness   BVZ   ESBON   North   Scotland   Central Scotland   BVG136   ECI   2 weeks
Canford Cliffs   QHI   STCANCL   South   Wessex   Bournemouth   BVH253   ECI   2 weeks
Combe Down   ZEM   SSCBD   South   Wessex   Swindon   BVH212   Huawei   2 weeks
Darlington   DL   NEDL   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG225   Huawei   2 weeks
Draycott   DED   EMDRAYC   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Derby & Nottingham   BVG422   ECI   2 weeks
Ebbw Vale   EBY   SWEBY   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Cardiff   BVH141   ECI   2 weeks
Fraserburgh   FU   NSFRA   North   Scotland   North East Scotland   BVG126   ECI   2 weeks
Gateforth   GXO   MYGAT   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI   2 weeks
Hunmanby   HBY   MYHUM   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG228   ECI   2 weeks
Ilminster   IL   WWILMI   South   Wessex   Taunton   BVH264   ECI   2 weeks
Maybury   EH/MAY   ESMAY   North   Scotland   South East Scotland   BVG142   ECI   2 weeks
Pickering   PDC   MYPIC   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG227   Huawei   2 weeks
Sheriff Hutton   XAH   MYSHF   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI   2 weeks
Stechford   BM/STE   CMSTE   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Birmingham & Black Country   BVG445   ECI   2 weeks
Strensall   STQ   MYSTR   North   North East   Humber   BVG242   ECI   2 weeks
Tredegar   TR   SWTR   South   South Wales and South Midlands   Cardiff   BVH141   ECI   2 weeks
Uddingston   UAK   WSUDD   North   Scotland   West Central Scotland   BVG158   Huawei   2 weeks
Uppingham   UP   EMUPPIN   North   North Wales & North Midlands   Leicester   BVG433   ECI   2 weeks
West Ayton   WYF   MYWAY   North   North East   Durham & Tees Valley   BVG227   ECI   2 weeks
Widegates   VGS   WWWDGT   South   Wessex   Truro   BVH287   ECI   2 weeks

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »

Not sure how Glenfield is "released" as none of the checkers show any availability on any PCP.

I assume "released" in this context means "shoved some fibre stuff in that may be enabled sometime in the future"?

Ah I see the "Superfast Broadband" checker now says "accepting orders", shame the rest of the public-facing checkers are still claiming 31 Mar 2014.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:28:04 AM by rizla »

bossian

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »

Woo hoo! My work cab has just gone live! Showing 68.7/20

I shall be on the phone to BT business first thing Monday morning :)

@Rizla.......all week this cab was showing March 2014.....I assume Glenfield is nearly complete?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

anything