Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: FTTC 'Go live' dates.  (Read 90507 times)

bossian

Re: FTTC 'Go live' dates.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »

Woop woop...Glenfield in 2 weeks....according to the BT site it's still showing march 2014!

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:13 AM »

Hello BossIan and welcome,

It might be prudent to hold back upon your enthusiasm until more definite data are announced locally.
Samknows suggests a rather vague "calendar year 2013".

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Makes no mention of FTTC / VDSL for PCPs 14 & 29 as illustrated below for a couple of pubs so it does not look as if the "Ready For Service" dates are imminent.

Perhaps BS can enlighten us as to what an exchange release actually means ?

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 12:22:34 AM »

I believe that when an exchange is flagged as 'ready for VDSL2 service', all the relevant equipment is in place and, as such, cabinets can be enabled. (Via the potentially long drawn out performance that you know so well . . . )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »

Bossian, please DO keep your enthusiasm going.

The release dates shown are for the next 2 weeks, therefore no amount of VDSL speed checks, akin to those that Walter has kindly illustrated, are ever going to show VDSL is active in your area, or give an estimated speed.
When your Exchange area is 'released' (within the next 2 weeks as stated), then try an 'Availabilty check' against your telephone number ...... I personally wouldn't use the 'Postcode checker', as I know from personal experience that there could be up to 3 Cabinets within the same post-coded area. 2 of which may be fully commissioned, and the other 1 still awaiting this task. The 'Postcode checker' can incorrectly report the area as not being VDSL ready because of this 1 cabinet !!

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »

Woop woop...Glenfield in 2 weeks....according to the BT site it's still showing march 2014!

Heh you're on EMGLNFI too then?

Not sure what site you've been using to check - the "Infinity" checker has been saying end of 2013 for a year and the BT Wholesale checker had a date of Sept 2013 before that entry was removed.

All the PCPs are done on the Glenfield side - I got a burst of several thousand errors last week as PCP32 was wired in/powered up. We're fortunate here in that you only ever see Openreach people here, never any subbies (altho you get them in Leicester city) and hence things get done right.

* rizla is still vaccillating about FTTC given he gets 21/1.2 now for £7.50, not sure he can see the point of just doubling d/s speed and price differential between 80/20 and ADSL is significant.

Oh and yes I should get 80/20 easy enough as loop length is 150m worst case, probably nearer 100m.

I think I'll wait and see what happens to backhauls on Sky/BT and decide later.

I'm sorting out neighbours wiring after he got a quote for £200 from BT Retail to wire in an extension socket which already existed - yes that's £200 for crimping two wires, and yes it has been explained (with pictures) to the UK support people but the price is still £200. He needs the wiring sorting anyway as he has bellwires connected and gets about 60% of the sync speed I do. That means I can go have a nosy when he gets Infinity in (which he's very keen to do) and see how the backhaul holds up.

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »

When your Exchange area is 'released' (within the next 2 weeks as stated), then try an 'Availabilty check' against your telephone number ...... I personally wouldn't use the 'Postcode checker', as I know from personal experience that there could be up to 3 Cabinets within the same post-coded area. 2 of which may be fully commissioned, and the other 1 still awaiting this task. The 'Postcode checker' can incorrectly report the area as not being VDSL ready because of this 1 cabinet !!

The BT Wholesale checker did (until the FTTC cabs went in) give projected FTTC speeds for lines from all the PCPs in Glenfield bar one which I don't think is a PCP, its something to do with County Hall/Glenfield Hospital. The checker now returns no projected FTTC speeds for any of the previously checked lines.

Not sure of the changes on the more prominent checkers but the BT Wholesale one clearly had data removed as work on cabs began. Anecdotally that seems to be the case a lot of the time, for whatever reason.

bossian

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »

Thanks for all the input guys! :) Been a lurker on here for a while and have picked up a lot of useful info from you lot ;)

I've been watching closely the BT works in my area over the last few months.......and I know its not long before my cab is enabled. I'm attached to the Glenfield cpc7 and where I work is on cpc10.

I have been using http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput to monitor when FTTC was available and like I said, it's been saying 2014....but today it's saying available now.... ;)

I have Virgin 120 here at home and that's been solid for the last 3 years. I have 2 ADSL lines at work and my own Plusnet ADSL at home.....what I so want is to convert one of my work lines to FTTC and my own ADSL to FTTC...then the flaky VPN I have been using for years will now be like a direct network connection to my work ;)

So in a nut shell...... WOOP WOOP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:33 PM »

You'll think you've gone to heaven, Bossian.  ;D ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »

My exchange now has new fibre cabinets all over the place but no information on FTTC dates.
Is there anything you can find out or do we just have to wait? SMCG  :angel:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »

Is there no mention of your Exchange, in any of the schedules I've posted ??

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »

No, unless I missed something - and I'm on here several times a day usually.  :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 09:42:15 PM »

If the shells are going in, it won't be long that's for sure !! I'd hedge my bets on within a month. Keep your eye out on this thread HP.  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 10:46:20 PM »

OK thanks.
The one at the end of my road (not the first I've seen) was finished at the start of May - about 7 weeks ago.  ???

bossian

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 05:21:20 AM »

I am much impressed this morning.....PlusNet are showing an upgrade to FTTC on my account....so it is now ordered! ;D

Does anyone know if I'll keep my existing fixed IP address? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere on the sign up pages? Will have a nose on the PlusNet forums later after work.....

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »

Interesting that Plusnet have accepted your order - having fed several numbers (which connect to different PCPs on the EMGLNFI exchange) into their checker it says fibre is not yet available and will only accept orders for ADSL. All of the PCPs concerned have been upgraded, so I'm wondering how your order got accepted when the exchange isn't live yet?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

anything