Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless Access Point  (Read 8286 times)

z1ts

• Reg Member
Wireless Access Point
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »

Good day  :)

I need some help on how to increase the wireless coverage in my house.

I currently have a BT Home Hub which I can get an acceptable wireless signal from in about half the house and a poor signal in quarter of the house and no signal in the other quarter!

I have 2 spare routers.  1 is a Netgear N150 Wireless Modem Router DGN1000 and the other is a Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway WAG200G.  I have the username and passwords for the user interfaces.

My question is how do I go about utilising one (or both) of these routers to increase the wireless coverage in the rest of the house?  I’m quite willing and able to run Cat5 cabling or phone cabling or whatever is required to the new location. 

I’m a bit confused from reading some other posts as to whether I would have to turn off the wireless function of the Home Hub in order to set up a separate WAP – if this is the case then it slightly defeats the object of the additional WAP, as I’d still have half the house with poor signal coverage!

I’m afraid I’m not a whizz-kid on networks and wireless networks but I have played about a bit with router settings on the user interfaces etc.

Thanks in anticipation of your help!!!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Wireless Access Point
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »

Not sure if either of those routers can work as a wireless ap, however I had a similar problem and used an old wireless ap I already had downstairs connected by two home plugs from the main router upstairs. I know home plugs are not universally popular but in my case the only way to run cat5 would be through holes in the wall and then outside, not something I (or her indoors) was keen on!

Normally you do not need to turn off the router wireless just make sure the router and whatever you use as an ap are set to different channels with different IDs so you know which you are connecting to. If these router can be used just as access points you should be able to find instructions via google etc.

Stuart

Just found this Linksys article which might help on the WAG200G
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:30:16 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 12:40:46 PM »

Hi, and welcome to Kitz  :)

I'm not entirely sure (other than you want to increase your wireless coverage) exactly how you would like to use one of these other two routers.  If you want to be able to use wifi anywhere using the same SSID as it's called, then possibly you need something like WDS if the routers support it.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_system for a general explanation.  However, one of the snags with WDS is that generally it only supports WEP.

This thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12462.0.html discusses wifi extenders to achieve the same thing.

As broadstairs has already suggested there are also other ways potentially available.  However, you might get better suggestions if you can say a little more about how you would hope to use these multiple routers, e.g. with the same SSID no matter where you are in the house, etc.  HTH  :)

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »

Stuart & Colin

Thanks for your replies.  The sole reason I want to use 1 (or 2 if required) of these routers is to extend my wireless coverage.  Because I've got them and therefore they are FOC I figured it was better than spending ££'s on another bit of kit if one of the bits of kit I've already got will do the trick with a bit of fiddling!

I'm not against running new Cat5 cabling as my house is undergoing some work so floorboards are up etc. so no home plugs required (hopefully!)

I did want to use both my existing Home Hub and the 'new' router with the same SSID and password so that I can move anywhere in the house and my laptop will pick up the strongest signal of essentially the same network.  Having read the Linksys article I'm fairly sure it will work!

BUT................

I tried messing about in the user settings to turn the DHCP off and change the IP address of the Linksys as per the link in Stuart's post, all appeared to work satisfactorily and when I clicked 'Save Changes' it rebooted the router (normal I assumed).  I waited an age when it got to 72% and then in a fit of enthusiasm I decided to power cycle the router (not a good plan it transpires!).  Now the router will power up but I cannot connect to it - the Local Area Connection just says there's a problem and there's limited or no connectivity...........

WHAT have I done???  I've even tried the reset button on the rear of the router but still no luck................!!!!!!

Whoops  :(

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »

Using the reset button on the back will reset to factory conditions so default IP address, user and password. This may well be why you cannot connect to it, be aware that the default 'could' be the same as another device on your lan. Easiest way is to connect your pc via a single ethernet cable to this router only and try using the default IP user and password. Hopefully this will get you back into it. (You might have to set your network on the PC to an address in the same range as tis router in order to find it)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »

I found my error...........!

My IP address wasn't in the range of the router so thanks for that.  My PC was set to Obtain an IP address automatically (which it couldn't as I'd disabled DHCP!) I set the IP address manually and I could get back into the CP.

So all I need to do now is to set it all up and see if it works!  I've done all the 'soft' set up as per the instructions, so watch this space.......

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all your help.

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »

Well I know it's taken a while, but I've finally finished the work in my house and got this all set up!  I said I'd let you know how it went so here goes:-

Ran Cat5e network cable to the point for the second router (WAP essentially) and also to another point near to where a PC is going to be.  Connected it all up and now I have great wireless coverage in the entire house!

10/10 for your help and thanks for such a welcoming 'atmosphere' on this forum - it's a refreshing change to some of the 'feelings' on other forums!

Cheers - I'm a happy man!!!!  :) ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 08:00:20 PM »

I had completely forgotten about this thread, so it was a pleasant surprise to come across your update with the details of your success. :thumbs:

Well done.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »

Glad you got it all sorted :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:52:48 AM »

Glad you got it working, I Have two DG483 set up as access points and I get a good WiFi signal now . ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »

Sorry to come back to this and express my shallow knowledge (again)!!  Trust someone's able to clarify this for me:-

I'm using the above mentioned Netgear N150 router as a WAP with DHCP disabled etc.  My question is: if I connect using a patch cable a PC/Laptop to 1 of the ethernet ports on the Netgear router, will it act as a switch and give me internet connection??

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »

Er . . . yes, that should work! After all, it is no different to connecting to the device via wireless.  :)

If you do not have a DHCP server anywhere on your LAN, then all devices must be configured with static IP addresses.  ;)

Perhaps you would like to experiment and then report back with your findings?

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »

Thanks b'cat - that's what I figured (hoped!) but I wanted to be sure in case I had to splash out on more electronic wizardry to fulfil the ever expanding internet gobbling capabilities of the household d'z1ts.........!!!!

The DHCP is enabled on the HH5, so 'dynamic' IP addresses are being assigned - I've just disabled DHCP on the 2nd router which is just acting as a WAP at the moment but shortly to be a WAP AND a switch!!!

As you suggest I'll play about and report to back to HQ.........

Thanks again ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »

The DHCP is enabled on the HH5, so 'dynamic' IP addresses are being assigned - I've just disabled DHCP on the 2nd router which is just acting as a WAP at the moment but shortly to be a WAP AND a switch!!!

That's good. The number of DHCP servers on a LAN should be either 0 or 1 . . . and nothing else.  :)

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 07:48:25 PM »

Thanks b'cat - that's what I figured (hoped!) but I wanted to be sure in case I had to splash out on more electronic wizardry to fulfil the ever expanding internet gobbling capabilities of the household d'z1ts.........!!!!

As you suggest I'll play about and report to back to HQ.........

Thanks again ;)

As log as you turn off DHCP on each router you add (and give it a static IP address too) you can daisychain as many as you like and they will all work as switches.  I have pressed several older routers back into service as switches on my home network due to expanding needs  ???

The fibre modem now connects to two ports on the first router, with the other two ports connected to a DSL2740R and a DG834Gv3.  The 2740 then connects to twin NAS drives and my desktop.  The DG connects to an Xbox 360, Sky+HD and another desktop.....And that's just downstairs, and without considering the wireless networks  :-[
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006