Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice on ADSL / Ethernet wiring please  (Read 4232 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Advice on ADSL / Ethernet wiring please
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:59:56 PM »

At some stage Iam going to move the router and NTE5 into the computer room upstairs, it is above the hall where the NTE5 and router currently resides, I will be re-routing the external cable into the bedroom.

I want know what the best cable is to use (making my own possibly) for the ADSL cable from NTE5's SSFP to the router and best LAN cable from Router to the PC..?

Iam also toying with the idea of keeping the dect wireless phone down in the hallway so its not near the router and out the way, so I will be wanting to run a filtered extension downstairs.

I have read on here that 'shielded' cable can actually make things worse?

any advice appreciated. :)

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

neilius

• Reg Member
Re: Advice on ADSL / Ethernet wiring please
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:10 AM »

CW1308 is the stuff to use for the faceplate/router, CAT5e is usually fine for your router's Ethernet port to the PC. You can use CAT5e for everything but it's thicker than CW1308 so might not look as nice running along walls etc. Both are unshielded. Wouldn't bother with shielded stuff myself. On a DSL cable it'd be unearthed and I'd believe to be of no benefit. Thing to note is that your line all the way to the exchange is unshielded.

Going back to my old cable theory studies (relating to audio though up to 20KHz) a balanced line would reject around 95% of any impulse interference, and twisting the pair would also help a lot. CW1308 and CAT5e are balanced and twisted. CAT5e has thicker conductors and because it has more twists that means it's better at rejecting higher frequency noise. A screen/shield would drain some interference to Earth. Audio signal leads tend to employ all 3 methods which is especially helpful with low level signals like those from microphones, which are only millivolts. Now my knowledge is sketchy at best when it comes to the effect of an unearthed shield on a very high frequency signal but I've read that it creates capacitance across the pair and is bad for the signal. Someone more knowledgeable would know better. :baby:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:29:11 AM by neilius »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »

You're not really allowed to do that yourself, and if anything goes wrong you could find yourself with a big bill from BT for regularising it. A better solution (legally) would be to leave the NTE5 where it is and fit a filtered faceplate, then wire up an unfiltered extension in the bedroom from the A and B terminals in the faceplate. You could use CW1308 cable (which most people would say is entirely adequate) or something higher spec such as Cat5e. There's no point (in my opinion) in using screened cable, and it could make things worse if it's not done right.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:34:20 AM »

Like Eric says ................ ^^^^^

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:23:43 PM »

Thanks for the replies,

I'm quite happy to move the nte5, it's very easy, I have moved it already from living room behind the TV into the hallway, there is plenty length on the cable for me to shorten it and bring it into the bedroom it goes passed to get to the hallway...

The reason  I don't want to run unfiltered extension upstairs is because I want to keep the adsl line as short as possible and out the house as much as possible,  plus she would be annoyed if I start running extra cables everywhere, I know  it'd be like that anyway if I keep dect fone down there... I'll certainly think about it though, it was just gunna be 2 birds with one stone, less wiring on show and nte5 and router in bedroom.

So shielded/braided adsl cable should be avoided?

Ok thanks for the advice.  :-)

Edit: oh I forgot goo add I want to future proof it for vdsl as it looks like iam getting it in next few years, so would shielded not be best for that as it uses higher frequency?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:36:19 PM by snadge »

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:58:17 PM »

The problem with shielding is that it requires earthing. This isn't generally such a problem with star-type mains wiring (that most of the rest of the world uses) but it can be with the ring wiring we have in the UK.

The danger is that you can create an earth loop between two pieces of equipment and that causes noise in the best case, and a safety hazard in the worst-case (if equipment fails/is on different ring mains).

Its therefore best not to potentially add earth paths between ring mains unless you have the right test equipment to verify its not going to be an issue.

I remember one memorable occasion when as a 22 year old engineer I hooked up 8 PSUs in parallel - no problem there, they all had sense wires etc - but what I didn't realise was the adjacent bench was running off a different ring main and one PSU was connected there. The bit of equipment I was working on had a dodgy electrolytic cap (IIRC) somewhere that exploded and shorted the case to ground. The resultant conflagration set fire to 5 PSUs and damaged the others beyond economic repair - cost about 6 grand in the late 1980s  :-[

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »

CW1308 is fine for VDSL too. If you're future proofing, get a VDSL faceplate - http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html is one place you could buy it. Your cable should have an RJ45 at the socket end and an RJ11 for the modem. An RJ11 plug will fit into the RJ45 socket but the RJ45 will be stronger and more secure. I've hardwired my modem cable into the A/B IDC terminals on that faceplate, primarily because the missus stores our son's buggy in front of the socket and having an RJ45 sticking out gets in the way. It's also theoretically better electrically speaking due to the cold-weld nature of IDC joints vs contact via a plug/socket but I doubt there's any real world difference. Having the strain relief on the cable being tied to a lug on the faceplate is also good.

Thinking about it, CAT5e can handle speeds of 1GBit/sec and is unshielded. Also, there's no provision for earthing a shielded cable on a standard ADSL/VDSL installation anyways.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:24:24 PM »

I already have an SSFP installed (what you call a VDSL faceplate, I'm not keen on the name as it makes it sound like other faceplates cant be used for VDSL, theres nothing in that faceplate thats required for VDSL thats missing in others - I understand some people call it that because thats what BT install along with FTTC)

anyway, I currently have the NTE5 directly on the cable entry point (NTE5 is new as of summer last year, so I'm assuming doesn't have a surge arrestor as discussed elsewhere) then I have a Twisted Pair ADSL Cable with an RJ45 jack plugged into the SSFP - the cable is a bit long though and has been wound, hence me requiring a shorter cable, I fancy buying a roll of both CW1308 and Cat5e and making my own cables as and when needed for me and friends/family or people I am working for that require cables....

.... actually... the cable in question was made and supplied by Black Sheep many moons ago (2007..?) lol...  ;D ;D ;D  he kindly gave me an NTE2000 (which I still have and was using until a few weeks ago) an 18" CW1308 ADSL Cable with RJ45 on one end and a 3m CW1308 ADSL Cable (which Iam using now and router is just 3ft away from NTE5 at moment)