Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BT no vat cease charge  (Read 22586 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT no vat cease charge
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 12:35:21 AM »

It then does not seem fair that if someone moves from one isp (ceases from it?) to another using a maccode that there should be no charge.

In days of old, if you wanted to move ISP then you did have to cease... wait a week... then when the line was clear from the old ISP, then you could place an order to move to your new ISP.  Obviously this was not satisfactory because it meant a period of time when people were without internet access.

The MAC key is used in effect to link a cease and new provide order together, so that both are done at the same time.. only needing the engineer to work on the line the once, rather than on 2 separate occasions.

They dont get off scott free there is a £39.79 + VAT fee for this work which is billed to the new ISP. 
Its only £11 for WBC -> WBC because theres 'no man at the exchange' needed for physical moving of wires.

A new connection can be up to £43.59 + VAT depending upon the exchange (Market 3).

I really cant comment on the pricing structure and why they charge what they do :(

but should not make it a fixed price of £30 for all

I'm just about to throw my hands up in the air, because I checked the price list just a couple of weeks ago when I updated the site....  and checking the price list tonight Ive found something else.

The cease fee appears to now be banded for WBC

Market 3 = £31.12 +VAT,  Market2 £6.71 + VAT, Market 3 £5.41+VAT

grrr.. not always easy to find stuff when you need logins linky....  saunters off to make amendments to the site, because the above does only apply to WBC and not 20CN maxdsl etc  :mad:]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 12:46:30 AM »

One of the reasons that I am in my presant debarckle is that I asked bt customer services if I could move my email addresses from one bt broadband account to another broadband account and I was told that I could not unless I cesseased the first acoount and hense incur the £30 non VAT charge. I still dont understand that nor believe that is not possible. I am not saying that I wanted to keep my original broadband but I wanted to keep my btyahoo email addresses as thats how everybody I know has communicated with me for the last 15 years. 

Ummm  not quite sure how to break this to you...   :'(

I havent been with BT as an ISP for way over 10yrs but I still kept my BTYahoo email address  (myname@btinternet.com)   I only abandoned it a couple of years ago cause it was full of junk and never used it.  I believe as long as the account is accessed once every 3 months then they dont delete it.  I certainly kept mine for about 8yrs. :-[
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:05 AM »

Yes,
A person I communicate with regularly has been on Talk Talk for ages, however they actually use their BT email address for all communication - presumably for the same reason that this is the one everyone knows.
I've no idea if you needed to do anything to ensure you keep the address live when you leave BT.
(On Plusnet I think you have to pay them some fee to keep the email address(s) operating if you leave them as an ISP.)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »

>>> On Plusnet I think you have to pay them some fee to keep the email address(s) operating if you leave them as an ISP.

Plusnet also let you keep it for free - as long as you access it once a month.  I still have (and use) my PN email address despite leaving them many years ago.

You can still collect mail via POP3, but because their SMTP requires authentication as being on their realm, to send mail you can either use their webmail service.. or do what I do and insert your new ISP's SMTP server.   This is easy to configure in the likes of outlook (see attached). 

All settings are the same - just insert any valid SMTP server...  this is also what I did to retain my btyahoo account before I ditched it.

However in icanbefound's case because the 'new house' was already on a BTrealm, then he wouldnt have even needed to change SMTP.

---
edited to attach screen cap
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:45:16 AM by kitz »
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »

I still have (and use) my PN email address despite leaving them many years ago.
Ditto. And my account (which still pays me on referrals). Might be reactivated sometime soon, depending on when this objet d'art which just appeared at the end of my road goes live.  ;)
[/URL]
PS. Sorry digressing maybe too far.  :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »

I still have (and use) my PN email address despite leaving them many years ago.
Ditto. And my account (which still pays me on referrals). Might be reactivated sometime soon, depending on when this objet d'art which just appeared at the end of my road goes live.  ;)

Oooh nice one HP...  I still havent decided yet what Im going to do.... going to be a sad day when Be* eventually is fully encompassed into sky :(
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »

I still havent decided yet what Im going to do....
Nor me, I'll wait and see what Sky has to offer, but given I absolutely will and must stay with BT for my phone and  I'm now on a Market 3 exchange PlusNet will be hard to beat.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »

[/URL]
PS. Sorry digressing maybe too far.  :-[

b*cat purrs with delight at the sight of a Huawei cabinet, in which will be found a SmartAX MA5616 MSAN:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »

The sad thing is that, with some help from others, we've worked out what is going on.  :'(
Several of these have appeared on the outskirts of my exchange area and knowing now which cabinets they're linked to (following the dig lines) it looks like BT will be servicing the longer (i.e. slower on ADSL) lines only (at least initially) that are also outside of the Virgin-cabled area.

There is also a single cabinet close to the exchange (and local High Street) which is probably a response to heavy pressure in recent times from local businesses for faster broadband.

So, good news for village-centre businesses and those who are the periphery of my exchange with no cable and just slow broadband. But not so good for those who don't want to pay Virgin for their high-speed services. That cabinet will not be serving me.  :(
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything