Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DSLstats v3.2 released  (Read 16286 times)

ryant704

• Reg Member
Re: DSLstats v3.2 released
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »

Maybe you could get the program to ping your website and obtain the IP that way?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. The objective is to find the user's external IP address (the address allocated to them by their ISP).

When clicking start the program it will ping (http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/ your website) then get the IP from the site's data and display it in the program somehow? I'm not too sure if it's possible but was just an idea...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »

I see what you mean. I guess that's technically possible, but it would require some web programming, a subject I know nothing about. Thanks for the suggestion, and I might come back to it if an easier solution which will work with all routers fails to materialise.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »

Eric yes that works for the HG622 just fine and displays the correct WAN IP.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »

Stuart, as things stand at the moment this little trick won't work after a re-sync unless you stop recording and re-start it. I propose to modify the code slightly so that it does work after a re-sync, as well as after starting recording.

Also, I think the capability to issue a custom command in this way is quite useful, and I intend to add it as an option to the normal login.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »

Stuart, as things stand at the moment this little trick won't work after a re-sync unless you stop recording and re-start it. I propose to modify the code slightly so that it does work after a re-sync, as well as after starting recording.

Also, I think the capability to issue a custom command in this way is quite useful, and I intend to add it as an option to the normal login.

Eric I think this is a great idea to enhance this, there would be quite a few uses I suspect for different things or routers. Would it be possible to set different times for custom commands to be run, Start, Stop, every N minutes etc?

Stuart

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »

Would it be possible to set different times for custom commands to be run, Start, Stop, every N minutes etc?

That's an interesting suggestion. I'll have a serious think about it.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 01:30:43 AM »

just wanted too say many thanks Eric my friend for all your hard work on this app :)

I have not tried v3.2 yet as Iam busy re-installing windows and apps (almost done) making full backups along the way too  :graduate: but will hopefully try it tomorrow.

I dunno if its been suggested, but just for the IP address why not use a web service like whatsmyip.com which has an automation service that returns the users IP address on request
http://www.whatismyip.com/ip-faq/automation-rules/

theres mentions of PHP or PYTHON scripts here if any good?:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/177414/get-my-wan-ip-address
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »

Thanks for that suggestion snadge. I'll have a look at it.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 08:21:52 AM »

I dunno if its been suggested, but just for the IP address why not use a web service like whatsmyip.com which has an automation service that returns the users IP address on request
http://www.whatismyip.com/ip-faq/automation-rules/

I realise that this is always one way of getting the IP, however since every router I have had since day one has had a browser interface which shows the IP I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it could be done via the telnet interface which would have a significantly lower overhead than using the network.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »

I think you're probably right, Stuart. All the modem/routers we're talking about run on Linux, and the conventional Unix way of getting details of network interfaces is the command ifconfig which is usually in the /sbin directory. If I run this command on an HG622 when it's connected to the internet, one of the interfaces is ppp256, and it does include the external IP address. What I don't know is whether the external interface is always called ppp256, or if not, what other names are used.

Obviously the output of cat /var/wan/ppp256/ipaddr is easier to parse than ifconfig, but again, I don't know how universal it is.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »

Eric since you objective is to monitor stats on routers perhaps the way to go at least in the short term is to provide the custom command interface with (hopefully) settings for when to run the command(s) and then in your documentation add sample commands to do the various things like IP address etc which people come up with. That way you can build up information about which commands work on which routers and what the output. Eventually this could be added as a function in the program once you know more about what works and what is useful to the majority.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »

Yes, that's the way I'm thinking of. I might actually provide some sample commands in a drop-down selector, and add to them as more information comes in. I've made a start on a custom command page as below.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »

Eric that looks excellent to me....

Stuart

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »

If I run this command on an HG622 when it's connected to the internet, one of the interfaces is ppp256, and it does include the external IP address. What I don't know is whether the external interface is always called ppp256, or if not, what other names are used.
Eric,

I assume like Stuart you are using the 622 in router mode (i.e. IP_Routed(PPP) Wan connection).  There would be a snag for anyone (like me currently) who is still using the 622 as a 612 swap-out i.e. in modem mode (IP_Bridged WAN connection).  In which case, for me, the PPP endpoint and so the external IP address is not in the 622 but in the separate plusnet TG582n router (in my case).  :(

Sorry if I'm teaching my granny how to suck eggs, but I'm sure you get the point.   ;):)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 10:24:34 PM »

I'm sure Eric will chime in, but that's exactly why the custom command interface will be useful because as you rightly point out not everyone uses these routers the same way.

Stuart
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4