Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Question about filters & faceplates  (Read 47114 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: Question about filters & faceplates
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »

Tom has since reported that his VDSL-80/20 speed has increased a small amount since removing the 26A (a few days later), gone from 73Mbps to almost 75Mbps consistently and tested with LAN cable, he is pretty sure about it
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »

Just to say I've removed the surge arrestor in mine and so far, unless it's just due to a new connection, I've noticed roughly a 1.5-2.0 Mbps speed boost on the attainble rate. I'll keep an eye on it, or monitor my statistics on the preview thread in the monitoring section. I'll update later today.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »

@ Ixel - how new is the connection? is it VDSL or ADSL?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »

@ Ixel - how new is the connection? is it VDSL or ADSL?

The connection was first setup in around March or April of last year, can't recall exact month without looking through my archive of invoices. It's VDSL2. My live connection statistics can be found at http://81.138.100.210/images/2013-6-5/ - as long as the application hasn't crashed or the connection's failed then it will be accessible and update every minute.

Just wondered, by new connection, do you mean uptime? if so then only a couple of hours, check the statistics link.

EDIT: Connection might be disrupted a bit later in the afternoon as I'm trying to eliminate pfSense on my network, as a virtual machine currently. I have an ASUS RT-N66U router with Tomato Shibby on, but for the life of me I can't get one VLAN configured for LAN IP's and the other VLAN for the public IP's that BT assigned me. The pfSense VM is serving the LAN IP's at the moment while the ASUS router is only serving public IP's.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:52:56 PM by Ixel »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

oh I thought you meant "new" as in only been live a few days...had it been ADSL on that it might have been DLM

anyway, was the change instant? or did it take a few days? cos it appears VDSL uses 'Banded Profiles' which dont seem to reflect better line conditions immediately (and sometimes not at all)....

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »

oh I thought you meant "new" as in only been live a few days...had it been ADSL on that it might have been DLM

anyway, was the change instant? or did it take a few days? cos it appears VDSL uses 'Banded Profiles' which dont seem to reflect better line conditions immediately (and sometimes not at all)....

I see. The change in attainable rate is noticeable on the link I showed you. I'm referring to the attainable rate, not sync rate. My sync rate has been banded at 60/20 with no interleaving since December last year, no matter how many times I may resync in a row, no matter how many errors might appear, DLM does nothing to my connection anymore in a good or bad way.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2013, 11:43:28 PM »

thanks for clarifying :)

Charles

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »

I had FTTC installed nearly 2 weeks ago and today I swapped over the modem from an ECI to an unlocked HG612.
I took advantage of the downtime to see if my newly fitted NTE5/A has the 26A surge arrestor, and it doesn't have it.

It's a BT Openreach branded one (printed) that was manufactured in February 2013 (week 5 of 2013)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:00:04 PM by Charles »

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2013, 09:02:43 PM »

Interesting discovery, Charles!  Thanks for going to the trouble of photographing and uploading the images.

cheers, a

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2013, 12:56:25 AM »

hello

well i finally removed mine,

i had my hub in but swapped out for my netgear so thought I would take the opportunity to remove it... 

the stats are slightly worse than norm but that could be simply be due to noise/crosstalk at time of sync (10pm ish) - I will resync and see if I can get it the same as before

before: (last time netgear was used was about 6 weeks ago or something)
17,600k sync
27.5db line atten

after:
17,300k sync
28db line atten

this Netgear usually does jump between 27.5db and 28db though so nothing new there... I dont think its made any 'real' difference, i probs get that 17.6 back if I re-sync in morning or something

I have seen 2 people get improved speeds once removed though... one was VDSL and other was ADSL
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:59:09 AM by snadge »

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2013, 07:08:59 AM »

Just moved into a new place with the wife and 4 kids (holy stress, Batman!). It's just a stones throw away from the exchange, 13dB downstream attenuation! Anyway, ordered a new OR printed NTE5/A to replace the existing LJU2  master and what came in the post was the one without the surge arrestor. Now to get our ISP to take us off the 15dB S/N profile (TalkTalk and YouView...) To enjoy the speeeeed! :-)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »

Just moved into a new place with the wife and 4 kids (holy stress, Batman!). It's just a stones throw away from the exchange, 13dB downstream attenuation! Anyway, ordered a new OR printed NTE5/A to replace the existing LJU2  master and what came in the post was the one without the surge arrestor. Now to get our ISP to take us off the 15dB S/N profile (TalkTalk and YouView...) To enjoy the speeeeed! :-)

let us know your sync rate - my dad and sis are both with TT and both have 12db Line Attenuation and both get between 17-18Mb sync (6db Noise Margin) which is a bit poor for 12db line - no noise in the SNR as ive checked... Ive got 26db and get 18Mb with sky, would have thought a 12 db line on TT would get 22-24Mb

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »

Have got 13.5mbps on the 15dB SNR profile at the moment...  1 ES in 36 hours which suggests good stability as well as a 0.2dB or so fluctuation in SNR (not graphed but just deduced by randomly checking on the router's web interface) :'( .

I noticed before TT went live we had a different number here and I think we were on BT as all the line test options came up when I called 17070. I connected the router for fun and it synched at around 18mbps with a 3dB SNR and 10dB line attenuation. No internet connectivity though and couldn't dial out, as expected. Must be a difference between BT and TT's gear at the exchange with regards to the 3dB difference in attenuation. Was getting around 4 ES per hour before switchover.

As for the physical line itself, it runs from the cab to a pole, overhanging a fairly busy road, then drops into the side of the house into the living room, hits a BT85 and is then gel-crimped to the internal cable which runs straight to the brand new NTE5A with no extensions wired in. The filter is a BT VDSL SSFP and the cable going to the router is CAT5e, joined directly to the AB IDC terminals in the SSFP. Voice side is very clear with no crackles/background noises. The phones here are DECT with the base station next to the router (haven't tried moving it yet to see if there's a difference but the lack of errors on the line seem to suggest it's OK). Pretty confident that the internal wiring is fine.

Will wait and see if TT's DLM changes anything for the better but AFAIK it's pretty aggressive at putting YouView customers on 15dB SNR profiles And keeping them there. Bad form IMO - I think that would mask noise based line problems for some people.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »

get on the TT forum and they will get the profiled shifted for you, fastpath also if required

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2013, 06:29:02 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation, snadge. Have been an avid user of the forums since 2008 - millions of times better than the phone support! Had our previous line fixed at a particular profile with DLM disabled as it wouldn't ever move us up - I suspect a couple of metres of very old fig-8 drop cable on the side of the house contributed to that.

Good news this morning though: DLM seems to be moving us up the ladder - router resynched at 4am on a 12dB profile, now at just under 16mb. 1 ES in 2 and a half hours so far with this profile and the same amount of fluctuations in SNR... Hopefully it'll carry on bumping us up within the same amount of time it usually takes the forum staff there to respond to a request.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8