Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speedtouch 546  (Read 2728 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Speedtouch 546
« on: December 15, 2007, 02:18:46 PM »

Hi all

I am enjoying good download speeds with my 546 which I initially had problems with (see earlier thread) but I wonder if anyone here can educate me a bit further.
Since I am in the country with long overhead lines my sync speed can be 7.2 Meg in the morning yet sometimes drop to 5-6 Meg in the evening which knocks my download speed down for a day or two. When this happens you can see a ragged top to the DME display. I don't think there is much more I can do to reduce the interference/noise. I have removed the ring wires (which gave a big improvement) and I don't think reducing the SNR would help in my circumstances - it seems to be at 15dB.
What I would like to do is set a max sync speed in the router so that I can get a consistant download speed but DME does not list it as an available command. Does anyone know better?
Like many others I must say again how pleasant it is to read the threads and benefit from the advice on this forum.
Thank you Kitz and all the other regulars.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Speedtouch 546
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:21:53 PM »

Do you mean DMT rather than DME?

No, I don't think you can set a max sync speed. You could, however, increase the SNR margin a bit and then reboot the router in the morning. It would then sync at a higher SNR i.e. lower speed, with enough headroom so that in the evening when SNR reduces, it doesn't go low enough to force a resync.

That's pretty much the only way round it I can think at the moment. If your SNR is 15dB and you're still dropping out, that's some big fluctuations so reducing the SNR margin would make matters worse.
Chris

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »

Yes, I did mean DMT! You have grasped the nub of it - a large change in sync speed over 24 hours. It doesn't always happen which may point to a source of local interference rather than MW propagation but I hoped limiting my sync speed would be the answer.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »

You could also try raising the SNR and using an SSFP plus a filter to try and subdue the interference. This may or make not work. The only other thing that may work is to ask your ISP to have an RF3 filter fitted, however the BT engineer my likely charge you if there is no real fault.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

anything