Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Internet Explorer  (Read 4484 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Internet Explorer
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:05 PM »

Can anyone tell me why IE strips out a small mp3 attachment, presumably because it thinks it's harmful.

And how do I get around it please.

Can send in gmail but recipient doesn't use gmail, only ie.

Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine.

Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »

I can't explain the eccentricities of IE (other than it is BGW  ;)  ) but I have a suggestion. Could you create a ZIP file containing the MP3 file and then send the Zip file to the recipient?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »

IE isn't an email client so your comment makes no sense.  :no:
Please explain a bit more what you are doing.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:14:20 PM »

I'm pressuming that Peter's friend means OE?

I'm also not sure why it would be stripping out an mp3 as it should be there as an attachment unless for som strange reason it's the antivirus.   

Bcats suggestion of try sending it as a zipped file is the best idea to see if it works like that.

The only other thing that springs to mind is that the recipient doesn't have the necessary codec to play the file?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »

Can send in gmail but recipient doesn't use gmail, only ie.
I also don't understand this either. Sender and recipient don't have to use the same email system.  ???
A bit more information would help, such as:
What sender users, what recipient uses for email and which email services (e.g. ISP) they are.
Where file is being stripped and how you know that.
Are you (Peter) the sender or recipient

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »

Sorry all, I did mean outlook express, had a hospital appointment today, that must have been on my mind. :-[

I am the sender.

When sending via OE to OE the attachment is removed and a message appears at the top, see attachment.

I sent this from OE to myself at OE.

Using Gmail the attachment is sent and received by OE. ( It just made me a liar by opening ok this time)

I'd still like to know why the attachment is removed my server/outlook express or what ever is doing it.

Very sorry for my misinformation.

Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

I'd still like to know why the attachment is removed my server/outlook express or what ever is doing it.
Quite simply because it's not a file attachment, it's a link (hint: read the message AGAIN  ;) ) which is indeed considered dangerous, though I think you can change that rule somewhere in OE.

Not knowing exactly how you "attach" it in OE or Gmail I can't comment further. But it's not actually "attached" as a file in OE.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 06:57:55 PM »

It is worth noting that the main OUTLOOK email client WILL strip dodgy attachments out of received emails.
Typically it regards all MSaccess databases as dodgy ('cos they may contain VBA macros) and the result is that when the receiver opens the email the attachment is missing - although the sender swears it is there on their sent copy.

With MS outlook you need to do a registry change on the computer to add the MS Access file extension to the allowed list.
Obviously not for those who don't know what they are doing - you mess with the registry at your peril and if you make a mistake in the change you are sometimes in deep sht.
Edit: There are no facilities within Outlook for permitting a blocked attachment by a user - it can only be done by a registry change - though I not sure if that is still true for the later version of the office suite of programs - its an obviousl security loophole if there was.

The usual solution is to zip up the offending file so its sent as a zip file which IS allowed and then de-zip it at the far end.

I've no idea what its baby version outlook express does - but that error message does ring a bell so it might be doing the same.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:05:48 PM by c6em »

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »

Hi all, very interesting, for me at least, hope I didn't bore/annoy/irritate you too much.

As I now have a solution to the problem I'll leave well alone, never touching the registry thank you.

As for zipping the file yes I could, not sure my sister would cope with un-zipping it though.

I just tried sending the mp3 from OE to my own Gmail account and that worked fine, so it appears to be a MS thing.

Many thanks to all for your help, much appreciated.

Best regards,

Peter   :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »

I have in the past also got around this problem by removing the .extension, then telling the other person to simply add .mp3 or whatever extension was removed to the end of the file when they receive it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 07:14:17 AM »

Not at all, and I hope the hospital appointment went ok. :)

---
As already mentioned by HP, the 'file' you were attempting to attach in your screen capture, wasnt actually the MP3 music file, but the shortcut on your PC to that file.  Shortcuts to files are considered unsafe by most email clients.
You should be fine though if you directly attach the original file rather than via the shortcut.

>> not sure my sister would cope with un-zipping it though.

Although I dont use it myself (been using winrar too long), I believe the integrated windows zip facility is very easy to use. 
Its simply a case of double clicking on the file and letting 'windows zip' automatically doing it for you.  The only thing I would recommend is that she saves it to say desktop first, so she can easily find the unzipped version.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything