Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.  (Read 43302 times)

ryant704

• Reg Member
Re: BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »

Power on the modem, hold the reset button for a good 10/15 seconds. Also try using a different Web browser Like Chrome or Firefox. This will hard reset the modem, then start from the beginning again.

It should work, there is no reason not to work. Can you link me to the Firmware that you are using please?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:21:11 AM by ryant704 »

derfledermause

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2013, 12:53:16 PM »

ryant704, Yes I will try to do as you suggest. As for the "firmware you are using"?, forgive me but are you asking for information from the HG612. At this point I have picked up the HG612 and on the bottom there are various stickers with info; one of then has this info:
Firmware Version:   V100R001C01B028SP10
Firmware is not software so I hope I have assumed correctly.
Unfortunately I have a doctors appointment this afternoon which may result in a hospital visit, so if I do not respond for a while (day or days), I have not left the country and will return.
regards,
derfledermause

derfledermause

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »

Initial attempt using Mozilla firefox has given the same result, after a while it timed out and the software has not loaded. I have noted that the LAN2 socket on the back of the HG612 has two led's, one is green and lit while the cable is plugged in, the other is yellow and I have noticed that when the problem is there, this led is flashing twice every few seconds.
regards,
derfledermause.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »

I do not think, for one moment, that there is actually anything wrong or that any damage has been done.

Let us think back to the point of changing the IP address by which the HG612 is addressed. The instruction to change from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 had to be given (obviously) via the 192.168.1.1 address. Once the HG612 had accepted that instruction, there would be no more communication between it and your computer until such time as you closed the browser, terminating the now dead connection link via 192.168.1.1 and re-opened the browser, making a new connection via 192.168.1.254

If that is still a little bit confusing, consider this example. You have two telephones, connected by two separate lines, to a look-out post at the top of the tower. You pick up the green coloured phone and call the person in the look-out post on their green coloured phone and say "lets communicate via the red phone". The look-out person puts down their green phone and picks up the red phone. Now assume you have been momentarily distracted and you fail to put down your green phone and pick up your red one. You attempt to continue to talk to the person at the look-out post without success . . . until you put down your green phone and pick up the red one. That is what happened when you reconfigured the HG612 from using the 192.168.1.1 to using the 192.168.1.254 IP address.  :doh:

I need to explain that the 'reset' button on the HG612 serves two purposes. You already know of the more advanced use, to enable access to the firmware upload page of the boot-loader. That takes place when the HG612 is powered up with the 'reset' button being held operated. There is also a more normal use for that button and that is to reset the device to its default settings. This usage of the button would be, for example, when a mistake has been made in attempting to re-configure the device via its graphical user interface (GUI). With the HG612 powered up, just press and hold the button for about ten seconds, then release it. Watch the LEDs. The HG612 should reset itself to its internal defaults and re-boot. Once that has occurred, the access address will have been reset to 192.168.1.1

I'll reiterate. Nothing you have done has caused any harm or damage. It is a very confusing concept to understand. It is also very difficult to try to explain what is actually taking place.  ;)

The main rule is that you cannot have two devices with the same IP address present on a network. As, by default, both the HG612 modem and the HG533 router are configured to respond at the 192.168.1.1 IP address, one of them needs to be changed. It is best to change to address of the HG612 modem and Eric suggests using the 192.168.1.254 address. Once that has been done, everything will then work when connected as shown in Bald_Eagle1's sketch.

Finally, would you like to disclose your home location? (Just the city, town, village or hamlet.) You never know, a fellow Kitizen may be 'just around the corner' and could make a visit to assist you with this re-configuration task.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

derfledermause

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »

burakkucat, May I thank you for your post, I will admit that the head is down because I simply do not understand the vageries of internet linking, protocol, and other problems. I can not understand how I got it right in the first instance only to find that the IP address was wrong, then my attempt at changing the IP address could have such an effect. I have taken notice of all the info that has been forwarded to me including your last post, I must admit that I am clinging to your description of the reset button and hoping beyong hope that my next attempt will be fruitful. My location is in my members profile. Unfortunately tomorrow is going to be a full day for me, family commitments etc. so it may be Friday before I get a chance to try again.
Simply saying thank you is so small a token of the appreciation of the help being given.
regards,
derfledermause.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »

Snadge .............. a good arrow and you could hit his house from yours !! Get yersen round there mate !!  ;D ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »

Snadge .............. a good arrow and you could hit his house from yours !! Get yersen round there mate !!  ;D ;D ;D

Oh, yes, I see what you mean.  ;)  Snadge, you need to contact d*mause by PM and arrange a mutually convenient time for a visit.  :)

derfledermause

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »

Hello, By pure chance a good friend of mine that has his own computer business, called in to see me today. In the course of conversation, the problems with the HG612 came up. He asked to look at the problem and has confirmed that the device is broken, it is impossible to communicate with the device. I have said before that I am ignorant of matters concerning internet connectivity and the accompanying equipment. However, I suggest that you investigate this problem, I hold no animosity for the cause of the problem, in all probability, it may have been of my own doing. There are others who may take a completely different attitude. I am hoping that the EBay seller will exchange this equipment, then I will try again.
Thank you.
regards,
derfledermause.

derfledermause

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »

I am a gluten for punishment, just ordered another HG612 from EBay, when it arrives I will try again.
Thanks.
regards.
derfledermause.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »

The firmware is the software as you call it, I highly doubt the HG612 is broken. Probably something really easy you are missing and you will even hit yourself.

Maybe send a message to Snadge and see if he can help you out? It honestly shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, 10 minutes maximum.

derfledermause

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »

Gentlemen, To carry out what is being done on here, I assume someone has been inside an HG612, when I look at this one there is a hole dead centre of the bottom of the device. Is this the only screw holding it together?, if it is not then the only other ones can only be under the four feet. If I may, I can assure you that the HG612 is dead, it simply will not accept any command or IP address. Take a motor car spark plug, they make millions every year, what is their failure rate?. I just might have been unlucky and bought a "Monday morning" one, another possibility is that the reset switch is faulty, if so it is never going to accept the software if you cant reset it. That is one reason that I am asking if anybody has been inside one of these, how many screws hold it together. Another possibility, who is the electronic wizard who broke the code in the first place?. Now I do show my ignorance in as much as, to do so, did it mean that you need to go inside with oscilloscopes and digital test equipment?. My point being that if we can find a fault with the device, then we can alert others not to make the mistake I did, that's assuming that it was my fault in the first place.
It is no matter, when the new one arrives, I sincerely hope that you good gentlemen will not desert me and "we" will have another go, said tongue in cheek of course!!!.
regards,
derfledermause.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2013, 09:02:46 PM »

The maestro responsible for all of the experimental and development work with the Huawei HG612 is our fellow kitizen, Asbokid.

I am puzzled by you description of the underside of the device. All HG612s that I have handled have two 'keyhole' slots in their bases to enable them to be wall mounted.  ???

Yes, there are four screws (beneath the rubber feet) which hold the device together.

derfledermause

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »

In my life time I have had occasion to try to fix household appliances, I have come accustomed to looking under stickers and the feet of equipment, for the screws that hold them together. I also have a battery of "bits", that is the bits required to get so called security screws out. Some have a hexagon hole, so you would think "I need an allen key", only to find that there is a pin sticking up the middle of the hexagon hole, stopping you using a standard allen key. There are a number of stickers on the bottom of the HG612, in the centre one, if you run your thumb nail gently across it you can feel a small indentation, that's is where I would look first if I wanted access. Other than that, then I would be looking under the feet, you are right of course, in that it also has the two L shaped slots for wall mounting. Prompted by your post, I have done an internet search for info on the HG612, I have indeed come across another site where Asbokid is giving a resume`of work on the HG612. He may as well be talking in mandarin Chinese or Swahili for all the sense I could make of it.
regards to all and a happy spring bank holiday.
derfledermause.

derfledermause

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »

New HG612 arrived midday. I will collect my thoughts before I start.
regards,
derfledermause.

derfledermause

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »

Help dear friends,  I have flashed the new HG612, I have logged on and I have followed the instruction, "Then go to BASIC > LAN and change the IP to 192.168.1.254"  I have done this but straight away I have got that warning message about not being able to have two IP addresses the same.
On the upper part of that screen is a box  "LAN HOST SETTINGS"  below that is a larger box  "DHCP SERVER". In the top box is a smaller box marked "IP Address" and in that is 192.168.1.1  it is this last number 1 that I am trying to change to 254. In the "DHCP Server" box there are two boxes, one marked "Start IP address" and below "End IP address". In the upper marked "Start IP address" is  192.168.1.2,  in the lower box, "End IP address" is  192.168.1.254.
It was at this point that the problems started the last time, I have logged off, logged on again to make sure that I can. Now I have powered down and disconnected from LAN2. Please may I ask if you would be so kind as to take me through, one step at a time, the procedure to change this IP address and, which address on that page is the right one to change. I assume that the conflict is that I am trying to change the IP address in the "LAN HOST SETTINGS" to 192.168.1.254 and it is immediately in conflict with the same address that appears in the "DHCP Server" box.  I am sorry for my caution but I do not want to have a problem yet again.
regards,
derfledermause.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6