Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.  (Read 43257 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »

As far as DSLstats is concerned, follow the Installation instructions on the website. When you first run the program it should take you to the Login configuration tab. Select "Huawei HG612" from the drop-down list of routers, then click the green button at the top, and you should be running.
  Eric

derfledermause

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »

roseway,
Forgive me but all attempts at trying to get this program "DL Stats" to monitor stats is alluding me at the moment, I have read the help files and I seem to be doing everything correctly, but it is obvious that I am missing something as it keeps telling me it is nor recording. I have picked the correct router, HUAWEI HG612 and I think the correct address 192.168.1.1 but it stubbornly refuses to work. I am aware how difficult it is to help from a distance, but any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
best regards,
derfledermause.

derfledermause

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 10:13:52 PM »

It keeps giving me the following message "No data returned in latest sample". Sorry missed this info from previous post.
regards,
derfledermause.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 10:20:37 PM »

I believe I know what the problem is... You need to have the LAN2 port on the HG612 connected to your Router. Once you've connected the LAN2 port to the router try again connecting...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »

Yes, I think you're correct, ryan:)

ASCII Art

------------------------------------------------ HG612 Modem
^ VDSL2 Connection ^                   /    \
                                                  /       \
                                                /          \
                                            LAN1      LAN2
                                            Port        Port
                                            /                   \
                                           /                      \
                                     Router                Router                   Router
                                     WAN                  LAN2                    LAN1
                                     Port                   Port                       Port
                                                                                              |
                                                                                              |
                                                                                              |
                                                                                       Computer 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

derfledermause

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »

ryant704,  burakkucat, Thank you gentlemen for your replies. However, it still does not work, am I correct that the HG612 is the Modem and the "other bit" is the router?. I have a short cat5 cable from "Lan1" on the modem to the "Fibre" port on the router, on the router, "Lan1" goes to the desktop, "Lan2" goes to the laptop. I tried connecting the short cable at the Modem end, from "Lan1" to "Lan2" on the modem, as I assume you required me to do. That did not work, nor could I connect to the internet with this configuration, in my mind this is something I am doing wrong, so I table the settings I have set in the program for the Modem:
Router model:   HUAWEI HG612.
"box"      Router is Thompson/Technicolor model,    box not ticked.
IP address;   192.168.1.1
Telnet login;  admin
Telnet password;   *****
Telnet port;    23
"Box"     Requires command to enter shell,         box ticked.
Shell command;     sh
CLI command;    xdslcmd
"Box"     connection is Annex M;         not ticked.

When you are in program setup there is a "special login" tag, do I need to access the parameters on that page?.

burakkcat,  forgive me dear friend but your ASCII art, the connecting cable from the modem can be in "Lan1" or "Lan2" port on the Modem, but the other end must go into the "fibre" port on the router. When I connected the cable from "Lan1" to "Lan2", it still did not work but nor could I connect to the internet with this config. I will take a guess and say that I should have changed an IP address somewhere in the setup?.
I apologize for my ignorance in this matter both to your good self and ryant704. Again, I can only thank you for your combined help.
regards,
derfledermause.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »

@ derfledermause,

It seems I sent you a PM this morning that was intended for someone else.

However, I also sent one to you last night that included (hopefully) a clear description of how the PC, router & modem should be physically connected in order to allow access to the internet & the HG612's stats at the same time.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »

When you are in program setup there is a "special login" tag, do I need to access the parameters on that page?.

No, that's for special purposes only. Definitely don't tick the box "Enable special login".
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »

The LAN1 port of the HG612 modem must be connected to the FIBRE (or WAN) port of the router.

You computer system(s) are then connected to the LAN port(s) of the router.

What we need to do is to connect the LAN2 port of the HG612 modem to a spare LAN port of the router. Essentially we are making a separate connection to a different part of the HG612 modem's circuitry.

If it helps to do so, consider that the HG612 modem has two 'parts' within the case. The first 'part' is a bridge that converts the VDSL2 signal on the telephone line to an Ethernet signal which travels to/from the router. That first 'part', the conversion bridge, is between the VDSL2 port (RJ11 socket) and the LAN1 port (RJ45 socket). The second 'part' is just a local Ethernet link to the internals of the device and that uses the LAN2 port (RJ45 socket). Just as any computer could be connected to the LAN2 port for dedicated line monitoring, so the LAN2 port (of the HG612 modem) can be connected to one of the free LAN ports of the router. To get it set up correctly, the IP addresses need to be configured correctly.

As I do not have a FTTC service, it is very difficult for me to advise exactly how the addresses should be configured. Hopefully Bald_Eagle1's PM to you explains things in a more concrete fashion.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

derfledermause

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »

OK dear friends, I have overcome some of my ignorance and have managed to couple the two pieces of equipment as instructed. However, once I install the second CAT5 cable between the LAN2 socket on the HG612 and LAN4 on the HG533, I cannot connect to the internet at all, yet I can download my emails!!. Bald_Eagle mentioned that did I know my routers IP address, no I do not, so I wonder if I find that address and insert it into the router setup, if that would cure the problem?.
regards,
derfledermause.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »

I believe the HG533 also uses the default 192.168.1.1 so you will need to change the DHCP range on the HG612 or HG533 to 192.168.1.254. Hehe I will be more useful...

Change the HG612 to the following...

Login to the HG612, login how you use to...

Then go basic, then click on LAN. You now want to change the IP to 192.168.1.254. Once done set the Modem and Router up with both LAN1 and LAN2 again, now use 192.168.1.254 to access the modem and 192.168.1.1 for the router.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:09:52 PM by ryant704 »

derfledermause

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »

ryant704, Many thanks for your reply, please forgive an old mans memory, I can log on to the HG5334 no problem but how do you log on to the HG612 when they both have the same address?. Reading back through the posts on this subject, can I in fact connect the computer straight to the LAN2 port on the HG612, that way I can access the parameters and change the address?. At the moment I have the setup wired as the "ASCII art" diagram from burakkucat and the written instruction from Bald_Eagle. With respect, I don't think I have ever logged on to the HG612, or more to the point, cant remember.
I await your instruction,
regards,
derfledermause.

derfledermause

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »

OK, OK, Before somebody reminds me, I have remembered how to connect to the HG612. Sorry.......
regards,
derfledermause.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »

ryant704, Many thanks for your reply, please forgive an old mans memory, I can log on to the HG5334 no problem but how do you log on to the HG612 when they both have the same address?. Reading back through the posts on this subject, can I in fact connect the computer straight to the LAN2 port on the HG612, that way I can access the parameters and change the address?. At the moment I have the setup wired as the "ASCII art" diagram from burakkucat and the written instruction from Bald_Eagle. With respect, I don't think I have ever logged on to the HG612, or more to the point, cant remember.
I await your instruction,
regards,
derfledermause.

Yes you can, the IP address should be 192.168.1.1 to access the page. You may need to change your computer Network Card Range to the 192.168.1.100 like you did when you unlocked the Modem to access it. You can just plug the LAN2 port into a normal HG533 port. A normal port is one where you would plug your PC into the HG533 and you should be able to access the modems that way.

derfledermause

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 03:55:23 PM »

ryant704, Sorry dear friend, I have the HG612 out of circuit and on the table beside the computer. I have changed the computer to 192.168.1.100 and I have access to the HG612, log in and click on LAN, I am now on that page and it is telling me that the IP address is 192.168.1.1  and the MAC address is 5C:7D:5E:93:D4:01. However, no amount of clicking, thumping, using the backspace key or the delete key, can I delete these numbers or add others. Even the help file does not help in changing the IP address. Please put me out of my misery.
regards,
derfledermause.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

anything