Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.  (Read 43156 times)

derfledermause

BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »

Hello good people. This is my first post on site so please be gentle. I had "ordinary" broadband installed some years ago and all was OK until I started to have problems, disconnections, which is all you are really aware of. I "Googled" for information on fault finding and cutting a long story short, ended up with a program called "RouterStats-Lite". Download the sofware, it sorted itself out and began to log noise margin and line speed, my original modem was the Netgear DG834G V3. Using this software and the graphs it provided, I was able to prove to my ISP and BT that there was a fault on my line, BT engineer arrived and put the problem right, (noise on the line). Because of this, I promptly registered for medium fast broadband and it was installed on Friday 3rd. May, WOW, first speed test using TalkTalk's checker returned a download speed of 38Mbps, however, using other than my ISP's speed checker, I am getting on average 24Mbps. However, I am now working blind as the saying goes, with the new equipment; BT Modem type 1B,  HUAEWI HG533 router, I have no idea where to start trying to monitor the connecting line parameters as before. Asking on my ISP's site,(TalkTalk) some kind sole wrote to try this site for help, that person also said that I may have to hack the BT equipment!!!!!!. Please understand I am a retired pensioner, ex machanical mining engineer, I know what a shifting spanner and a 2lb hammer are, but have no knowledge of transistors, resistors, capacitors or other feindish electronic devices, I will add that I have built all my computers since the "BBC A" era and I can install software, however if I then have a problem with that software, thats the point where I need to seek help. Is there a reasonably easy way to monitor the incoming telephone line parameters with software and using these two pieces of equipment?. Really I am only interested in the noise margin and the line speed, it was the many disconnections and the varying (wildly) of the noise margin that alerted me to the fact that there was in fact a problem in the first instance. Conversely, if it cant be done using software, is there another EASY way?.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
May I take the oportunity to thank you for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post.
regards,
derfledermause.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT Modem type 1B-HUAWEI HG533, help please.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »

Welcome sir. Alas, the modems are currently 'locked down', and you would need to 'crack' it to harvest the stats. There are quite a few members on here who are experts in this field, and may be prepared to provide you with one, or give a step-by-step guide into how the 'crack' is done ???

You'll soon have some replies that will help.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »

^-^  Let me also add my welcome.  :)

We need to clarify a couple of points, please. Am I correct in saying that you have an Openreach provided Huawei EchoLife HG612 Home Gateway installed as a modem and a TalkTalk supplied Huawei HG533 Home Gateway acting as the router?

If that is correct, then you will need to flash the HG612 modem with the unlocked firmware image. The unlocking instructions can be downloaded from here (as a PDF file) and the actual firmware image is available here.

Once the unlocked firmware has been flashed to the modem there are two separate, but equally reliable, software utilities that you can use to monitor your line's status. Both have been developed by members of the Kitz forum -- Bald_Eagle1 (Paul) and Roseway (Eric).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:18:11 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

derfledermause

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »

Hello, Black Sheep and burakkucat, may I thank you for your replies. As far as burakkucat is concerned, I can only try to identify with the information on the actual devices. The Openreach device is as follows:

eci  ECI Telecom Ltd.
Item code:  061513.
Description: NGA ECI-CPI-MODEMS TYPE 1B.
ECI Model: B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B.                         upper and lower case are not typo's, thats the way they are on the sticker.
ECI Cat No: ON316150 Rev: R0403.
Power rating:  12V @ 1A.
S/N:  ECI-J312072231.
MAC No: 849CA6C66DA8.
Date of manufacture: 04/2013.
Warranty expiratory date: 07/2018.

Info from TalkTalk supplied router.
Broadband Wireless N ADSL2+Router.
HUAWEI HG533.
Firmware version:  V1-13t.
Hardware Version:  F1-01.
There is no more info that I can glean from the two devices, I hope this is enough for your requirements. I will already admit that I am scared to death when you talk about "flashing" the Openreach equipment. I take it that the Openreach equipment still belongs to them and if I make a mistake then I am liable for replacement costs. As I have never done this before I have no idea what it entails, I shall wait for you good people to reply.
Once again, many thanks for your help.
regards,
derfledermause.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »

The HG533 is the router, you will not need to unlock this.

If you want to access the line stats you will need unlock the ECI modem provided from Openreach, this is more difficult than unlocking the HG612. Personally, I would recommend purchasing a HG612 of eBay instead of attempting to unlock the ECI.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »

The Openreach device is as follows:

eci  ECI Telecom Ltd.
Item code:  061513.
Description: NGA ECI-CPI-MODEMS TYPE 1B.
ECI Model: B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B.                         upper and lower case are not typo's, thats the way they are on the sticker.
ECI Cat No: ON316150 Rev: R0403.
Power rating:  12V @ 1A.
S/N:  ECI-J312072231.
MAC No: 849CA6C66DA8.
Date of manufacture: 04/2013.
Warranty expiratory date: 07/2018.

Info from TalkTalk supplied router.
Broadband Wireless N ADSL2+Router.
HUAWEI HG533.
Firmware version:  V1-13t.
Hardware Version:  F1-01.

Hello again, Mr mause,

Thank you for that comprehensive information. As ryant704 has mentioned, to be able to monitor your line statistics you would need to use an unlocked ECI modem . . . and that is still a rather difficult task (although work is currently in progress).

I will go along with the recommendation of purchasing a Huawei HG612 modem, via eBay and unlocking it by flashing the firmware, as mentioned above.

If after considering all that is involved, you are still hesitant / reluctant to perform the task, then I may be able to help . . . I need to check what is currently lurking in my grotto . . . If that is the case, please send me a PM . . .  :)

derfledermause

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »

OK, once again thanks to those who are replying. Am I correct that your reference to a HUAWEI HG612, means that it takes the place of the BT piece of equipment?. Once I have one of these in captivity, I will return to post on site and again ask for further help. If I may ask, once I have this piece of equipment, I would download software on your instructions, connect the computer to the equipment and using this software, it would alter the parameters of the HUAWEI HG612 to do what I want, again under instructions from you good people?. Would this description be vaguely correct?.
I will admit that it was so easy to do this before, with ordinary broadband, however, it seems such a daunting task now with using medium speed fibre broadband, that I am beginning to think that if there is not a problem at the moment, then why go to all this bother. If a problem does arise in the future, then of course it would be advantageous to have this piece of equipment to hand for investigation purposes. As you will understand from the reading of this post, I am in a cleft stick and dont know which way to turn. Please may I ask if I may dwell on this for a while, to make my mind up if it is all worth it.
Again, very many thanks for those who have taken the time to reply, it is indeed very much appreciated.
Best regards,
derfledermause.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »

Yes, your understanding of what would need to be done is 'spot on'.  :)

Once an unlocked Huawei HG612 has been substituted for the existing ECI B-FOCuS /r,  then either Eric's or Baldy Bird's software utility can be used to monitor the status of your line.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »

I also think it's always handy to have some 'before' stats (when everything was Hunky Dory) to use as proof for when/if something does go wrong & you receive the usual "your connection is performing withing acceptable limits" from your ISP when they don't wish to call engineers out.

I have attached a couple of examples of the data you can obtain from an unlocked HG612 modem.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:01:03 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

derfledermause

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »

Thank you again burakkucat, it did not take long to think, I have ordered an HG612 from eBay, it should be delivered within the next 4 to 5 days. Then the fun will start no doubt.
Again thank you,
regards,
derfledermause.

derfledermause

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »

Sorry Bald_Eagle, I was typing my reply when your post appeared. I assume that I have your permission to copy those parameters to my computer for future reference. I apologize if that is not so.
Thanks again,
regards,
derfledermause.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »

derfledermause .......... you'll look back at these posts in a couple of months time, and chuckle at your initial reservations in all this. You'll be a professor of QLT and hLog graphing in no time, with this lot !!! Ask one of the self-taught experts on here, Mr Eagle. He's been fitting a kitchen that long, that there's a good chance formica will be back in fashion when he's finished it ? ;D ;D

A light-hearted way of saying you're in safe hands and won't have anything to worry about.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

I assume that I have your permission to copy those parameters to my computer for future reference. I apologize if that is not so.

By all means copy them, but do note that I have a 1000m long connection, exhibiting the usual errors & symptoms of crosstalk over that distance, so the stats aren't very good at all.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

Mr Eagle. He's been fitting a kitchen that long, that there's a good chance formica will be back in fashion when he's finished it ? ;D ;D

Well, we made the first step back into the 70s by purchasing avacado coloured units & yes, it's still not finished.   :o ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:39:52 PM »

For the edification of Eagles (and anyone else interested), I attach a montage & some screen scrapes that were obtained from an HG612 which was connected to a DSLAM via a 1.5 metre link. (The link's electrical length was shown as 0.8 dB.)   ;)

Even at 105 Mbps DS, the HG612 did not seem to be bothered!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything