Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk upgrade to YouView package bargain  (Read 10360 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
TalkTalk upgrade to YouView package bargain
« on: May 05, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »

I've just upgraded my TalkTalk plus package to a YouView one, after dithering about it for several months.  Now waiting for the kit to arrive, but it seems a very good deal that won't cost me any extra.

Free YouView box
And the system determined my modem/router wasn't compatible, so I get a new one of those
And a free £50 Love To Shop voucher!

For £5 per month less than I currently pay (for 6 months, then back to same price).

The only downside seems to be that it ties you into a 24 month contract (currently on 12 month).

And you no longer have to pay £50 to have an engineer come to install it for you if you decide you're competent enough to do it yourself.

Almost seems too good to be true, hope it isn't!  :fingers:

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: TalkTalk upgrade to YouView package bargain
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »

And the system determined my modem/router wasn't compatible, so I get a new one of those

I'd be slightly sceptical about that. The one they supply will have remote update, and remote access by the ISP. Personally I'd prefer to use my own modem/router without those 'features', once you've established that it all works.
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:36:14 PM »

I'd be slightly sceptical about that. The one they supply will have remote update, and remote access by the ISP. Personally I'd prefer to use my own modem/router without those 'features', once you've established that it all works.

My current modem is a TalkTalk supplied DSL-2780, which isn't bad but has it's faults, despite a firmware upgrade last year that appeared to be to permit TV services (eg multicast).

I will be interested to see what the features on the new one are - think it's got a USB port for NAS.

At some point I'll get my own one!

Ian

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »

I will be interested to see what the features on the new one are - think it's got a USB port for NAS.

USB ports on routers are (in general) a very bad idea. ISP-supplied routers are usually seriously constrained on cpu load and USB is not a "friendly" interface in terms of cpu loading.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »

If anyone does want to take up this offer then could they please use the following clicky linky

Talktalk Plus TV offer

There's some great news from TalkTalk as the Plus TV package normally priced at £15.50 a month is now available for £10 for 6 months for customers.
The offer will be valid until 23:59 19th June 2013.

I dont normally push links or ads...  but since I havent had any successful affiliate links this year for any ISP, the clicks would be much appreciated and save me freaking out when my next hosting bill fall due.   Cheers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »

I'm sorry Kitz, I would have used your link if I'd known  :(

At face value, I heartily endorse this offer - you get a YouView box, £50 shopping voucher redeemable at a fair few high street stores, potentially a new router/modem all for less than you're currently paying if you're already on the unlimited TalkTalk bundle.

So please buy via Kitz link above :)

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 11:52:32 PM »

No worries - you werent to know.  :)
TBH its probably my own fault because I dont really like doing the ad thing and try keep it to the minimum, but I needed to do something...  and I only started carrying TT and the BT infinity ads since last week.  O2 has gone and I guess Be* will too shortly :(

Hope you enjoy your new package, let us know how it goes... 
I'd looked at YouView last year as streaming TV is something I do and use a heck of a lot, but it was quite costly for the box then.  However my viewing is probably about 90% BBC documentary type stuff which my ATV does quite nicely, and at least my new TV will let me watch Freeview now :)  YouView does carry a heck of a lot more choice though, so Im sure you will enjoy it.  8)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything