Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No MAC Required?  (Read 17472 times)

Re: No MAC Required?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »

If there's a MAC involved Sky will use that first to migrate the ADSL across/shift line to Sky SMPF, then at a later date will move the line across to MPF.

If you are moving from SMPF BB then a MAC will always be used if provided, although the Sky ordering systems don't show one is required immediately. That's where most of the confusion occurs IMHO.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »

So what your saying is that if the customer is already on SMPF and is moving to sky (even if there is MPF capacity available) that sky must request a Mac from customer?  I've seen customers coming from SMPF to sky and not using mac...  Hence me saying it may be capacity or some other reason, I've seen people on sky forum come from exact same setup I had (BT n o2 llu)  and not use a mac... Strange eh?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »

Kitz can you elaborate on the LORN further? I mean it sounds like the OP has already actioned a cease on the line, could he have used LORN if thats for house moves?? im a bit confused lol...its not hard to confuse me hehe. ive never ever heard of anyone using LORN to move say from an LLU provider to BTW provider (as thats how I read your post)

LORN (Linked Order Reference Number) is a code used for matching together  PSTN and broadband elements of a Simultaneous Provide Order so that both can occur on the same day.

Yes an SPO should be used for house moves, but they should also be used by the gaining ISP when moving from Full LLU to WBC.

See BTw doc SPO - page 6
When would Simultaneous Provision be used?

- New provision of both PSTN and Broadband services, including as a result of a move of premises
- Migration from MPF or Cable (with or without LLU / Cable Broadband) to PSTN with Broadband

/snip/

Simultaneous Broadband orders are placed against a postcode and include a “Matching Reference” (also known as Linked Order Reference Number or LORN)
These two fields (postcode and “Matching Reference”) are used to match the two orders together

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »

So what your saying is that if the customer is already on SMPF and is moving to sky (even if there is MPF capacity available) that sky must request a Mac from customer?  I've seen customers coming from SMPF to sky and not using mac...  Hence me saying it may be capacity or some other reason, I've seen people on sky forum come from exact same setup I had (BT n o2 llu)  and not use a mac... Strange eh?

I dont think Sky always get the process right - rizla's comment of "although the Sky ordering systems don't show one is required immediately" may be the reason.

I think what may happen in some instances is that Sky dont do the SPO process properly.  Ive known this happen for both my daughter and my friends daughter, both experienced broadband delay.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »

Thanks kitz, so would that be initiated by the customer though? That is to say would the customer have to do all the work of getting LORN code etc and giving it to new providers?...  In 8 years of using broadband forums it's the first I've heard of it lol... I've never seen anyone discuss it such as "I'm moving to BT from tt/sky and I've got my lorn code"  hehe... Is it something the MPF isp tells you to get when ur leaving?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »

In reply to your 2nd comments, aren't these systems automated tho? So they should either be correct or not correct and no 'sometimes it is'.?

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »

So what your saying is that if the customer is already on SMPF and is moving to sky (even if there is MPF capacity available) that sky must request a Mac from customer?

No, what I'm saying is that if you give them a MAC then they'll use it. That's why you went SMPF first, then MPF - just like me.

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »

I dont think Sky always get the process right - rizla's comment of "although the Sky ordering systems don't show one is required immediately" may be the reason.

I think what may happen in some instances is that Sky dont do the SPO process properly.  Ive known this happen for both my daughter and my friends daughter, both experienced broadband delay.

What actually happens is that Sky take your order to move without a MAC and the order process for the phoneline move gets generated; after a couple of days the order system updates and (if you were on SMPF) then you have a section where you can enter a MAC.

If you don't enter the MAC then Sky move the phone and then do BB after the phone is moved. You will go directly from SMPF to MPF and will lose BB for a few days. Edit - this is usually the point where the router isn't sent out on time as well.

If you do enter the MAC then Sky will use that to move your BB and then some weeks later will move you to MPF - probably when they have a batch of jobs to do on same exchange. You won't lose BB for more than a couple of hours.

I think this is because if you give the gaining ADSL ISP a valid MAC code then they must use it. Never actually checked that however.

It costs Sky more money anyway, simply because you stay on SMPF longer. I'm sure they'd rather you didn't use a MAC.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:53:12 AM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »

Thanks kitz, so would that be initiated by the customer though? That is to say would the customer have to do all the work of getting LORN code etc and giving it to new providers?... 

Not in the case of MFP -> WBC/WLR.

Its up to the gaining ISP to do the work and place the order correctly and tie their own 2 orders together, hence the LORN not being given out to the EU.  Theres no need for the customer to have the LORN because they cant do anything with it -in this case the gaining SP should use both elements to match the LORN.

You could in theory also use this process to say come back from TT and move to BTr for PSTN and Plusnet for broadband.  In which case you'd need to get the LORN from BTr to give to Plusnet... which could be fun ;)

When moving away from Full LLU you should always use SPO & LORN or you will get delay. 
Certain ISPs (such as PN or Zen) who have been doing LLU -> WBC migrations for years are familiar with the SPO process and 'just do it' hence not saying anything to the EU about LORN.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:10:17 PM by kitz »
-----
Pages: 1 [2]