Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tablets and Kindle-like Readers/  (Read 5508 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Tablets and Kindle-like Readers/
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »

Sorry for yet another question of doubtful sanity!

I would like to know if:
a Tablet can be used to download and read e-books
a Kindle or similar has functions beyond its basic use.

As to Tablets in general, which are to be preferred IoS or Android based? I don't think I would want top end.

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: Tablets and Kindle-like Readers/
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:19:10 PM »

Hi

Yes tablets can be used to read ebooks, our lass uses the kindle app on her Samsung galaxy tab 2, iPads cost fortune, you can pick up 10" tablets for about £110

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »

If reading ebooks is to be the main use, then it's worth giving extra consideration to the type of display. I've got one of the earlier Kindles, and it has a superbly readable display which is just as good in bright light as in dim (it uses an ink-based technology which is probably too slow for regular computing, but perfect for reading text).
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 11:21:24 PM »

>>> which are to be preferred IoS or Android based?

I have an ipad (which I love) and will give you my honest opinion.
My ipad gets extensive use, browsing, reading,  apps, streaming media (iplayer to the TV) and if Im out for the day, or doing someones PC then it goes with me.. and I dont think theres been a day in the past year or so when Ive not used it.. in fact I dont think I could be without a tablet now.

Pros

~ They are sexi and just work.
~ They integrate well with other apple products and make everything easy (eg ipod, ATV etc)
~ For some reason they are considered the elite ;/

Cons

~ They dont integrate well with non-Apple products.  You can only bluetooth other Apple devices.
~ I dont like how locked down the system is - ie you cant install Flash and theres no usb access - This annoys the hell of out me.
~ Upgrade & spare parts is expensive or impossible when compared with Android.  ie Apple rip off and charge extortiant prices for spare adapters, nor can you simply upgrade the memory.

If it wasnt for the fact that it works so well with my ipod and Apple TV (which I already had), then I possibly would have gone for an android tablet.

>>> a Kindle or similar has functions beyond its basic use.

The Kindle Fire does.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:24:17 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »

Kindle has a browser in the experimental section. e-ink isn't exactly suited to dynamic content but with the 3G version you do have free browsing throughout Europe/USA/Oz and most of Asia, which is worth it just for holidays.

Edit - personally I wouldn't bother with the Kindle Fire, its a poor tablet and if you're going to be tied into Amazon then an e-ink Kindle is the way to do it. Buy another tablet rather than compromise on a Fire is my advice. E-ink is a revelation for those of you who haven't already seen it. Horses for courses.....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:26:27 PM by rizla »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.