Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help! We need to design a network!  (Read 2071 times)

SuperfastSussex

• Just arrived
Help! We need to design a network!
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:31:22 PM »

First of all  - apologies but my introduction has been drafted in the office and not posted yet ! Will complete tomorrow but in a nutshell we are planning to do the same as B4RN and deliver superfast broadband to swathes of rural Sussex through a community owned organisation.

However - B4RN had the benefit of people from the industry involved in setting them up, and whilst we have some fairly tech savvy people on board we don't have anyone yet from a pure telco background.

We need to design a network which will start with provisioning around 2000 households served from 5 nodes. The nodes will be connected in a ring. Each node will support one or more stacks feeding bundles of 1300nm single mode G652 fibre optic that will be connected PtP to each property passed (probably with 50/125 OM3 fibre and LC connectors?).

Two head ends will provide primary and secondary connectivity to LINX or similar in the Docklands (about 70km away) served by 32 ch DWDM dark fibre.

Is there anyone out there who could spare us some time to help with the design and specification of our set-up? At the moment cash is short but as soon as the FCS approve our Enterprise Investment Scheme status we can offer shares in return for work done (unless of course you want to volunteer your services?)

Any advice, offers of help, pointers to self help etc welcomed!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Help! We need to design a network!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »

I would personally PM our very own Walter. You'll find him under the members list. He knows all there is to know about this, and is heavily involved in B4RN.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:11:11 AM »

Thank you very much BS for those glowing words !!!

I must admit to humping a few inspection cover lids about in sunny or soggy Lancashire and offering as much encouragement as I can. I've even done a tiny amount of simple fibre spicing too. One thing you won't have much of in Sussex are the humungous boulders many conveniently disguised as beautiful grass covered loam !

I've come up with a few practical ideas on cabinet design etc. from time to time too, but I can't claim to know anything like as much on network design and Telehouse interconnection that Prof Barry Forde has accomplished in rural Lancashire.

I'll PM SFS with a little more later on today.

Kind regards,
Walter

SuperfastSussex

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »

Many thanks guys!

Walter - pm received and welcomed. Maybe we could lift share to B4RN?

Also - you aren't that far away so will see if I can arrange a visit in the next couple weeks.

James

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »

Hi James,

I'm not certain I can escape from domestic taxiing duties yet !

Assuming you are modelling your project along the Community Interest Company design of B4RN, on no account consider any sort of Grant or subsidy which relies on "No commercial operator activity" at present** as you would be in severe danger of ending up in the horrible mess we have with a substandard and insufficient solution and no future sustainable upgrade path, let alone any chance of obtaining another solution for those left stranded with a much smaller ROI on the more difficult outliers.

** You might plan for some funding once you have a viable project well underway though.

Kind regards,
Walter