Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wifi extender  (Read 11461 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Wifi extender
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »

Colin, what worried me was some of the reviews which stated they came with a continental 2 pin plug.  Looking a bit further it would seem that the seller admitted that it is sometimes shipped with the 2 pin and it could be a bit of a gamble :(

Looking at the Edimax site:-

EW-7438RPn = Built-in 5V, 1A power module
EW-7238RPD = Built-in AC100-240V, 0.16A 50-60Hz power module

So in theory I should be looking for the EW-7438RPn ?   The person concerned wont buy from ebay, so I need to stick with Amazon.  I need to let them know this evening - so I may say the TPlink as it may be easier all round.

Thanks again for your help and advice - most appreciated :)

Yes, I certainly agree that in these circumstances the TP-link is an easier purchase for your EU.  I really am not pushing the Edimax here at all in any way, it's just that's what my experience is of, and so what I could report.  On a quick read of the TP-Link info, I would say that it sounds pretty much as if they are identical (other than in product design), so I would go for that.

I really don't understand what it appears the Edimax site has to say about the EW-7438RPn, which is the one I have in front of me now as I write this ;).  It plugs directly into the mains, and as with the TP-link I think it has an AC-to-DC PSU integrated into the 'bulge' at the rear of the device.  I wouldn't be surprised if the internal circuits work on 5v DC, but that's not a concern for us EUs.

Hope this helps, but if your EU has any config problems, I'm sure that between us all we can figure it out.  The key thing really is that once the device is told (even using the WPS button) which device (e.g. router) to extend for, all the EU devices then need to connect to the extender rather than the router thereafter.

TP-Link will have their own scheme I'm sure but on the Edimax, if the router has an SSID of say BeBox<aaaa>, then once 'linked' the extender will by default broadcast as SSID of BeBox<aaaa><bbbb>.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »

Do you not have any spare WiFi routers to use like so,     http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12246.0.html

Edit, I have been told these are good ... 
 http://www.misco.co.uk/product/195205/D-Link-SharePort-MobileCompanion?source=webgains&siteid=54264
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:55:49 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 01:49:58 AM »

Thanks mike.. that dlink shareport looks like a handy little gadget and certainly has some nice features.
The 'geeky' part of me wants one, but I shall have to refrain. :(

----

>> Do you not have any spare WiFi routers to use

If it was me then it is something I could perhaps consider....  but this needed something simple to set up for a non-techie. 
Existing router was in a location not practical to run any CAT5 and signal in the conservatory location is poor.   Was originally looking at a powerline solution, but the neatness of the plug type repeaters make them easy to move around to get the best signal to relay.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »

Thanks mike.. that dlink shareport looks like a handy little gadget and certainly has some nice features.
The 'geeky' part of me wants one, but I shall have to refrain. :(

I want to get one just to have a 'Play' with it  ;)  , I was going to get one for my daughters uni room but they have now banned any type of WiFi repeaters  >:D.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything