Computer Software > Security

Yahoo account hacked

<< < (2/6) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
Incidentally, that Channel 4 story does seem to be spot on.

My hacker's IP address was reported as 'Georgia', not entirely unrelated in my mind (notwithstanding political differences and warfare, no offence intended  :o) to what they said, 'Russian Federation'.   And they logged in via Yahoo mobile, same as in the news story, and various other reports I've seen.

The single spam that was sent to all of my contacts was a badly mis spelled 'hello' as subject, and contained a fake story about some work from home scheme with a false hyperlink ( which of course I have not clicked), similar to that described.

renluop:
Not just Geotgia I'd guess. A friend, user of BT Internet "sent" me and others a similar message.
A free analyser traced apparent source to Thailand.

BTW/OT Forgetttery allowed me to forget what I used! :o

sevenlayermuddle:
Hmmm, another sinister sign...

When Composimg an email using my main mail interface, Thunderbird's IMAP, even though the mail was sent it has suddenly started asking for passwords that it should not need (it has it's own password manager).   My hunch is that is likely to just be the new kaspersky putting a spanner in the works, but it could also be something horrible.

I have pulled the lan cable (and disable wi fi), and revoked the google apps passwords that were assigned to Thunderbird while I think what to do, but I fear a complete reinstall of OS/X is the only thing that'll let me sleep at night  :(

edit: fix my garbled grammar

asbokid:
Hunch says it won't be OSX.

It's Yahoo that isn't fessing up to the cause of the problem. This is leaving everyone, including you, with headaches as to how it happened, with everyone blaming the security of their own PCs.  Best guess is that Yahoo's servers have been hacked (again).

cheers, a

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: asbokid on April 26, 2013, 12:52:30 PM ---Hunch says it won't be OSX.

It's Yahoo that isn't fessing up to the cause of the problem. This is leaving everyone, including you, with headaches as to how it happened, with everyone blaming the security of their own PCs.  Best guess is that Yahoo's servers have been hacked (again).

cheers, a

--- End quote ---

Totally agree with your hunch, but I don't want to take any chances at all, however remote they may be.   That Mac is my iOS development machine which, if my Apps ever made any money (fat chance  :D ) would be my pension.   

I've pretty much decided on the re-install.   If nothing else it'll satisfy a long-standing curiousity as to how much grief a new machine would entail.   I'm doing a backup now of all the user data I think I'll need, let's see how much I overlook    :'(

The most precious commodity - my source code - is actually held on a separate SVN server, and mail is online at google, so in theory it should be reconstructable even if I do screw up. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version