Computer Software > Security

Yahoo account hacked

<< < (6/6)

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: HPsauce on April 29, 2013, 09:56:48 PM ---They're obviously doing something to try to mitigate this. I logged into a rarely-used Yahoo (and then normally POP/SMTP) account via webmail from a place I was visiting the other day.
I got asked additional security information AND an email was sent to the "backup" account to warn of the login.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like they've identified you as a dodgy character, HP.  And who are we to question them?   :angel:

Seriously, that's interesting. I'll be visiting my father's flat next week, I must remember to login again from his IP and see if that happens to me too.

sevenlayermuddle:
This is getting beyond a joke.  I have another Yahoo account which I'd used only once.  I logged into it when I started this thread to check the log and see it might have been hacked too, it hadn't.

But I just checked again and moments after I'd checked it first time, came what appears to be another hack, from a 'NY US' location.  That's two out of two accounts both hacked.  Plus Geep's and Chrissie's.   This time I received no spam.  The only evidence was the in logfile, which would go unnoticed by the majority of people.  I really wonder now how big this thing might have become?   :o :o

Pattern was similar;  A minute after my own login came another, then a second.  This time both logins were 'browser' logins, whereas before, the first one was 'mobile'.

Much more interesting, by selecting IP address instead of 'location', I can see that the hacker came from two different IPs..  66.196.116., then immediately afterwards, 63.250.196.xxx

From whois....
The first of these is assigned to 'Inktomi Corporation', which I think is now owned by Yahoo Inc
The second is assigned to  'Yahoo! Broadcast Services, Inc'

Make of that what you will.

PS:  More digging I need to amend all of above.

When I logged in this morning, I had to 'reactivate the account', being told that it may have been closed through lack of use.  That didn't surprise me and anyway, it seems closed accounts can be reactivated just by logging ion.  But on further experimentation, if I manually close the account then reactivate it, I ALWAYS see an immediate login from another  63.250.196.124, I guess it's just a Yahoo server doing what I asked it to do.  Maybe I asked for it to be closed a few weeks ago too, and forgot.  So maybe that second account wasn't hacked as such.   :-[

But I am not sure whether or not to be alarmed by the fact that Yahoo admin activity shows up as a normal browser login (from a Yahoo IP) in the 'recent logins', the instant I hit the 'delete' button.  Can't help thinking that might be significant.

sevenlayermuddle:
Yes this is a thread that’s been dormant for four years.

But interesting all the same.  Seems it wasn’t just me affected or just people with (say) names beginning with 7, it was absolutely everybody.    :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41493494

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version