Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v2.91 released  (Read 23483 times)

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v2.91 released
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »

On the subject of the min QLN roundtuit, mine goes 'down' to -150.5 and is around the 149 -150 mark from tone 375 upwards (ADSL2+) so you need to go to -160.

There are pro's and con's of having the QLN and Hlog graphs autoscaling to whatever are the min/max's.
While it would maximise the use of the chart area, as most users charts should be broadly similar, doing comparisons between different lines or even charts at different times for one user where the Y axis scaling is different on each graph might actually be rather irritating/confusing.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »

I agree with you there, c6em. When I first added these graphs I left some leeway in the minimum values because I wasn't sure what range of values the program was going to encounter. I don' t think they should auto-rescale, for the reason you gave.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »

I agree completely, hope it didn't come across that I was suggesting that?... I think they should be fixed and at a smaller scale so that you can get finer grained resolution of the stats, especialy in the QLN graph

Sent from my Sony Xperia Miro on Tapatalk
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »

Yeah good suggestion by kitz, is it possible to have it Start in the tray so it can run hidden without bothering you

I've added this option now, as well as the 'start recording' option.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2013, 01:23:59 PM »

oh i didnt notice you added the DSLAM/MSAN Type...thing is its not displaying mine?

the command for my Netgear DG834N is adslctl info --vendor and this is what it shows, while version number isnt really important it would be good too show it.

adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1204 Kbps, Downstream rate = 17600 Kbps
ChipSet Vendor Id:      BDCM:0x   0
ChipSet VersionNumber:  v10.06.33
ChipSet SerialNumber:   
#

is it possible to have the ID and Version Number one same line perhaps? e.g. BDCM:0x  0 / v10.06.33

thanks again Eric, your a star!! :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »

I'm not sure why the program doesn't pick up the vendor with your router, but I should be able to fix it. I'll attach the version number as well, as you suggest.

[Edit] I've found the reason. Now fixed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:42:15 PM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »

Yeah good suggestion by kitz, is it possible to have it Start in the tray so it can run hidden without bothering you

I've added this option now, as well as the 'start recording' option.

Thank you VM Eric  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »

[Update] Now added to all the time-related graphs, apart from the connection speed graph, where the issue wouldn't seem to apply.

Thanks Eric, the new version has significant improvements. :thumbs: You're on a roll!  ;D

One other thing you might want to consider: are there some graphs (e.g. bitswaps/min, the various error rates) that might look better as bar graphs rather than line graphs (or possibly as at EU options choice)? :hmm:

Just occurred to me while looking at the new version, which with 1min samples (for /min rate data),  the line graphs sometimes alternate between a spike and a flat line (when intermediate values are zero).  In such cases (low rates) a bar graph might give a better feel?  :-\ What do you think?

Many thanks again.  Each new version improves an already good tool!  :clap2:

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2013, 12:24:48 PM »

I have to agree with Colin, bars (or choice) would be great O0

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »

I can certainly have a look at that. One thing which occurs immediately though, is that there is both upstream and downstream data shown on those graphs, and it wouldn't really be practicable to have both simultaneously on a bar chart - I would have to make it so that only one direction at a time was shown.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »

I can certainly have a look at that. One thing which occurs immediately though, is that there is both upstream and downstream data shown on those graphs, and it wouldn't really be practicable to have both simultaneously on a bar chart - I would have to make it so that only one direction at a time was shown.

Yes, you are right; that's why it's always best for you (the designer/developer) to make those decisions.  ;D

Thanks for considering it anyway, whatever you decide.  :thumbs:

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »

The only way you could do it is if you displayed in a 3-D type of chart
Routerstats does this on the telnet access graphs - it also needs the ability to swap the plots round to bring one in front of the other otherwise say the upstream can get part hidden behind the D/S if the DS bitswapping is highly active.

See attached sample from RS

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »

I don't think I'm very keen on that presentation, to be honest, but I'll give some thought to how I might implement it.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »

It doesn't need to be 3D does it? Upload is always less so just have it sit over the top of the download one.. And have it so that they can swap around if upload exceeds download, e.g.  You would have a green (upload)  bar, the rest of the bar would be blue (download).. If upload exceeds download then bottom of the graph would be blue (download) and top green (upload), for those rare occasions they are the same have the bar be grey or summit?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »

Don't you think that would look a bit of a mess? I've made a quick mod to show the CRC/min graph as a barchart, retaining the separate up and down switches, and you can see what it looks like below. The first one is with both up and down included, the second is down only, and the third is up only.
  Eric
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything