Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I don't see the point of what Opera want!  (Read 9046 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: I don't see the point of what Opera want!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 11:59:35 PM »

Wtih respect to IE integration, Microsoft were forced by the EU to release Windows XP Home/Professional N, which excluded Windows Media Player.

The same is not possible with Internet Explorer as it is almost seamlessly integrated with the OS.

Windows Internet Explorer 7 is a little different on XP in the terms of how it runs but basically ever since the Windows 95 Desktop Update IE as been an essential component of Windows Explorer and the Windows shell and have run operated as one in the same.

Aside from the software technicalities, i dont think it is right for Opera or anyone to force the inclusion of other browser software. For the most part I hate pre-installed software on PCs and insist on removing most of it.

For a while now I have used Firefox, by my own choice. I have also avoided IE7 (because it is ridiculously ugly and horrible to use) by my own choice. I have also used Netscape which was nice and Opera, which either didnt work properly or I was just too dumb to use correctly.

The point being my experience of browser sofware, good or bad was due to personal experimentation and preference, not because it came preinstalled "AOL style" as I refer to it.

My vague point is that surely a successful browser does not need such pre-medatated actions to improve its use or market position. For example I have heard of, and tried Opera and have opted not to use it, much like the monstrosity that is IE7.

Most people only use IE because it is "out of the box" software ready to go. The placement of other browsers preinstalled in its place would serve exactly the same purpose to the average/unaware end user and hence simply make it no better than using IE.

I say leave it to user experience and CHOICE to govern what browser users adopt.

(Also my admiration to james on his altercation and revenge on his old schools IT administrator :) )

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 12:57:50 AM »

Started a new thread in tech chat as not to ruin this one.

James

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 01:06:50 AM »

whoops I was splitting the topic too... so it could be carried on elsewhere. :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 05:43:29 PM »

Getting back ON TOPIC :P

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/19/scc11_jim_barksdale/

It is worth listening to if you were at all interested in IT during the 90s. Odd to think that people once thought the browser would become the "desktop" and bet hundreds of millions on it.

It is about as ON TOPIC as I've ever been - or am ever likely to be :lol:
Pages: 1 [2]

anything