Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Of Possible Interest to Users of BGW 8  (Read 13598 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Of Possible Interest to Users of BGW 8
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »

There is an ongoing thread titled Microsoft to Bring Back Start Button in Windows 8.1 over in the Technical Discussion >> Windows Issues of the ThinkBroadband forum.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: Of Possible Interest to Users of BGW 8
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:02:38 PM »

What about a [Delete] button?!  There's certainly a popular demand for it :-)

cheers, a

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »

What about a [Delete] button?!  There's certainly a popular demand for it :)

Such a button would only be relevant if one allowed such an abomination as BGW to actually be installed upon one's disk(s).  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »

:lol: What a pair of wags you two are, eh?! What are you like!  :lol:

W8 is the final triumph of style over substance, and shows what happens when you leave technology in the hands of people with the attention span of a goldfish ... oh look, that's a pretty galleon ... oh look, that's a(nother) pretty galleon ....  :lol:  ;)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »

What isn't clear is whether this will be an upgrade (like a service pack) available/offered to existing W8 users sufferers or just those buying the "new" release.  ???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:27:54 PM »

All joking aside, there is a place for Windows in the market, as many people do find it extremely hard to get to grips with Linux.

The fact that the lack of a start button has caused so much difficulty for many people, proves that a vast portion of computer users could not cope well with the additional requirements of the Linux learning curve.   

I am not stupid, but I know for a fact that many years ago I myself found the additional steps to install Linux confusing and I was put off by the Linux snobbery.   

I know for a fact that the vast majority of people that I help just could not cope with Linux and whilst I am happy to slate M$ when needed, the fact that they brought a much easier GUI to the market place has meant many more people have had the joys and tribulations of using a PC.

Its been said on here many a time that M$ has slipped up by removing the start button and that users like the simplistic start menu.

-------

@ HP reading the links, no its not clear...  but Im hoping it will be an available update for user choice.  It mentions the start button but no mention of the start menu :(

One thing I happen to notice is the mention re how many users had downloaded Pokki
The firm says users open the Pokki Menu an average of 10 times each day.

So this 3rd party app is phoning home with its statistics...  I think I will stick to recommending classic shell

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:22:49 AM »

All joking aside, there is a place for Windows in the market, as many people do find it extremely hard to get to grips with Linux.
As evidenced by the number that have been bought with people's hard-earned cash.  :)

Every OS that has ever existed has had its advantages and its disadvantages.  Diversity is a good thing, and jokes are too, but the OS religious wars are just boring and repetitive. :sleep:  Feel smug and superior about your choice if you like.  ;) But, make up your own mind and get on with it, preferably quietly. ;D

The thing about W8 is that (it seems), in their desperation to be part of the smartphone boom (and probably also because of economics), they decided (despite fierce criticism during its beta testing phase) to roll-out a one-size-fits-all, rather than the previous market-segmented and tailored versions.  Except, it doesn't fit everyone, as they are now finding out to their cost (literally in very poor sales).  :o :no:

@ HP, there is some noise from M$ that they are now 'committed' to 'continuous' i.e. incremental development, in future, rather like all the others, in fact. c.f. iOS, Android, Linux, etc. incremental releases; and there is some history, as WHS and others have had 'feature packs'.  But as to payment or otherwise, well I wonder how this fits with Azure and their pay-as-you-go cloud model .... :hmm: :shrug2:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:36:24 AM by ColinS »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »

Speaking as one who spent most of my career as a low level Unix kernel programmer, I wholeheartedly agree.

To me, the great appeal of *nix OS's is the ease by which they can be driven from the command line.   I have a few Linux boxes scattered around the house these days doing various jobs but none of them have a monitor attached, when things need done I just telnet or ssh in.  That wouldn't be so easy with Windows.

But that only appeals because I feel more at home with a keyboard as opposed to a mouse.  My dear old Dad, who recently passed away, could never have coped with his PC were it not for the Windows GUI. As documented in many threads he barely coped at all, but he did stumble through, with on-line shopping proving a real life-line as his mobility declined.  I can't imagine that having been possible without Microsofts GUIs.

Yes, I know *nux systems can have GUIs too but I'm a great believer of 'when in Rome...'.  So for a system controlled using command line tools I'd want Linux, for a GUI-based system I want Microsoft or maybe OS/X (which is actually Unix, but let's not complicate matters   :-[).

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »

I concur with most of these recent comments.  I've a long background in IT, and I relish change/updates/new features but I found Windows 8 horribly illogical to switch over to, the complete opposite of the change from windows 3.x to win95.  That new interface was easily discoverable without training or instruction.

I tend to use Windows a fair bit from the command line when it's easier to do so - it's got progressively more powerful over the years.

Meanwhile I'm still struggling away trying to get used to Linux :)

Ian

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »

I have had the Start button on Windows 8 for many months now via third party thats not my issue with Windows 8 my issue is the windows looks very bland without Aero Glass and needs the edges on the windows rounded off, something like Vista and with the 3D flip back.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »

windows looks very bland without Aero Glass and needs the edges on the windows rounded off
I have to agree, visually it's pretty horrible and if you compare it to any Apple device truly appalling!
All the visual clues as to what different areas or buttons do have almost entirely gone.  >:(

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »

I am hopeing the Windows Blue (8.1) will address the lack of Areo for Desktop/Laptop pc's but not that hopefull as the GPU's on tablets are very lame and will max out the GPU if it ran Areo  :-[

I was going to use Windows 8 as the Main OS for my Vista/Win8 dual boot system but Win8 lacks in eye candy, whats that word "Not Aesthetically pleasing to the eye" in desktop mode.

But the Metro Interface is a novelty but I spend 99.9% in the desktop  ;D

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:39:10 PM by NewtronStar »