Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Trouble with router I think...  (Read 26495 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Trouble with router I think...
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »

Thanks for the link and information.  I think IF there is something interfering with the router et al it's going to be the unit of this new PC.  The router was working well and going about its business with Win XP and my Win 7 laptop (wirelessly) and of course when I tested that with the Ethernet cable.  Also I don't have a radio anyway, well only on main TV!
Well, as you know, I agree with you.  If you haven't got a radio, well nevermind.  I'm less convinced now about EMI, but wanted to show willing to look again for it.  :)

I am going to try to look again at AVG I don't have the link on the PC to put up where they were saying it was stopping internet connection.  Just read however that Win 8 has Windows Defender running all the time (this was said on AVG forum).
Golly, you really believe in defence-in-depth, don't you?!  ;D Windows Defender and AVG2013 and the router all with firewalls!  You must be bulletproof!!  ;D
This link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/windows-firewall-from-start-to-finish will tell you how to switch Windows Defender off as well.  For the purposes of your next tests (tomorrow, I think you need a break!), please disable both AVG2013 and Windows Defender for the moment.  I honestly don't think it will make any difference, for the reasons we have all discussed previously, but no stone unturned and all that ....

Just to say that the following happened at switch on this morning.  Router on all lights.  Switch PC on - screen up "Welcome User" stayed on around 3 mins.  Then message "preparing Windows" came up on different screen, then online button on router went off.  Stayed on that screen for 3 - 4 minutes then the metro screen came up with only 4 apps on (store, IE, desktop, file explorer) router online light still off.  I shut down PC and online light came on on router box.  I turned ROUTER off, switched PC on - metro screen came up immediately, put router box on again, all lights came on and internet connection immediately.   >:( so if I connect router first the PC has gone back to not getting on the internet - switch router off, put PC on and I can get on the internet....>>>>go figure...I wish I could.
Well, I'm sorry to say that this appears to me exactly like the 4th time that you have accurately described what you see while Windows 8 is recovering (rebuilding) itself after it has decided that it was unable to load your Windows 8 PC properly for a (different) reason as yet unknown to me.  I have said this every time you have had the bad luck to see it: this just should not be happening :no: :silly:, but I don't think it is causing the router problem per se.  Unless of course, anyone else can offer an alternative explanation?

In these circumstances I think you will see something similar happening on the router lights, because if Windows 8 does repair itself, then the 'Turn Sharing Off' setting that you did previously will be lost (a good thing to check to confirm this scenario - if you didn't change it, then it must've been this rebuild!).  This in turn will allow W8 to start nattering to the router again and possibly upset it.

So, really this continual rebuilding is now getting in the way of resolving the other (router) problem you originally reported. Every time it rebuilds itself it will be similar again (in most respects) to the first time you ever switched it on and saw this problem.  So we are just going backwards again, it seems to me. :hmm:

Something to think about, but perhaps it might be better now to have the builder fix that problem first, and then we can see what problems we are left with wrt the router. What do others think now?  :-\

But if you can get at least the two tests done (without it rebuilding itself) and with sharing, AVG & Windows Defender off, then that will at least tell us something.

However give yourself a break from this at least until tomorrow, and think it over.  I understand how inconvenient it may be to have to take the thing back to the guy, but it just can't keep doing this to you.  >:( :(

You can always point him to this thread so that he can see all of things you've tried, and the advice you received here from others.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:36:25 PM by ColinS »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

I've been giving some thought to anything else that might be giving rise to the "Preparing Windows" appearing repeatedly like this  :hmm: and an alternative possibility has now occurred to me - could it possibly be a Windows Update that is failing to complete properly, and so is being attempted again on successive loads? What do others think of that possible scenario?

Chrissie, next time you manage to get it loaded, perhaps we could try looking in Windows Update to see if there are any signs of this.  I will try to find some instructions for you on how to do this.

[Edit] Please use this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/windows-update#1TC=t1 to temporarily turn Automatic Updating off.
then access (if you can  :)) this link update.microsoft.com, select Review your Update History, and tell us if it seems as if there is some update that is being repeatedly attempted, whether is is successful or fails.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:15:41 AM by ColinS »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »

Hi Colin

Thank you again for continuing to look at this problem for me, as said...really appreciate it.  Right...just going to say I am going to just let it ride for a day or two because...and wait for it, this afternoon I just had router on as I was busy elsewhere, came in and switched PC on just (for a laugh ahem) to see what would happen.  It booted straight up no problems, so no messing about and straight on the internet  ???  What I did before I switched off this morning was in passing to CLEAR personal details from the tiles, not seen this before but thought I'd try it.  Now I'm not saying this was part of the problem but somewhere along the line maybe it's just a small thing that is doing the disconnecting or not connecting to the internet and with turning the sharing off and doing bits to other things it might just help.

After the afternoon switch on, I cleared tile personal details (what's that all about anyway fgs) shut down, left router on.  Couple of minutes later booted PC up again...all well, straight on the internet too.  Did it once more a little while later and on again and was ok.  So whilst after the first let down when I thought we had the solution but it regressed, I don't count this as IT....I am just wondering if I should just try now and again to see what transpires with switching on and trying etc.

AVG is "wanting" to do a scan but haven't had time for that so postponing atm...will try and let it do one tomorrow.  I will also see what I can find out about Windows update as your last suggestion may be valid methinks...  I'm still unsure how and where to find things but will have a look when I have the time.  So I'll let you rest  ;D on this for a couple of days and I'll write down any significant things that might happen and post later.

I had already decided to email the build guy but holding off again for a couple of days....just in case.  As for "belt and braces" for the security....the only thing I asked him to put on was an AV and being the agent (ssshhh) for AVG he did that one.  As for Windows Defender, I knew nowt about that until today when I saw it on one of the tiles and looked it up as to what it did lol.  I then said to OH perhaps what with that and AVG and any other little bits on here, there may be conflict on them re getting on the internet (but what do I know lol).

Anyway, I'll get back to you as I'm on the lappy tonight so not able to try the PC again until tomorrow.  I cannot fault you for sticking with me Colin - bet you're sick of me by now  :-[ - hope I'm not taxing your brain too much  :D

Speak later
Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

That's absolutely fine.  Take a break and let things settle. We'll all be here when you're ready.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:00:37 PM by ColinS »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »

E U R E K A!  (she says cautiously).  I am quietly confident that I have found the culprit and given it a good thrashing.  I am sure internet connection problems with my poor old router is AVG!  Over the last day and now today, I have tried, re-tried and tried again and I am 99% sure it IS AVG.

This is what I did:   

I disabled WEB BROWSING – that is LinkScanner Surf Shield and Online Shield in AVG. 
Switched the router box off, shut the PC down. 
Switched the router box on, all lights working, left it for a few minutes.
I then booted up the PC. 
Up came the usual screen and through desktop I got straight onto the internet.
No loss of lights or connection to the router!

Throughout yesterday at different times of the day with leaving the router on continuously and PC shut down I booted PC up 8 times. Everytime it worked correctly.  No lights went off on the router box and I had internet connection.   :clap:

This morning:  I decided to test the AVG/router problem again by enabling the LinkScanner Surf Shield and Online Shield to create what was going on before my tests yesterday.  From that I concluded that it must be Web browsing enabled that was the problem (they don't call me Miss lost-your-Marbles (Marple) for nothing!).

I switched router off, shut down PC, switched router back on, then PC and it just would not connect to the internet and came up with same old “DNS server fault” AND the online light went off on the router box.

I then shut all down again after DISABLING the two things in Web browser then switched on as before (router first PC next)....but it would not connect this time.  I then noticed that AVG had done an update and it seemed from that update time it would not connect.  I “fiddled” about with bits and bobs (turned firewall off AVG and put Windows firewall on) still no connection.  Then rebooted and connection was there but IE would not connect to the internet.  I then did an AVG scan (first one on the PC) and after that, Houston we have connection which I've confirmed a few times since.  I feel sure that little 'ole AVG  >:( is the fly in the ointment and hopefully (she says wistfully) if I keep the web browsing in AVG disabled.....it might continue connecting and give me some space to actually learn about Win8.

So that's the latest, anymore problems with this and I'm off to the build guy to let him sort it out.  Once again my heartfelt thanks for all your thoughts, comments and help with this "bleeping" problem.  It has given me confidence to try to sort things even if I don't always find a solution or know what I'm doing  :-[ , without your help I doubt I could do it.

Catch up with you soon (don't hide).
Chrissie

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »

Well done Chrissie (and well done to the helpers too). I hope that all's well now. :fingers:
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »

Excellent news!  :thumbs:

I'll admit, I was skeptical that AVG could be causing so much woe for you, but I stand corrected!

Ian

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »

:clap:
  :fingers:

But if problems return, I'd personally be inclined to just replace the router.    Even if disabling AVG made the problem go away, and even if AVG was doing something wrong, there would still be a bug in the router,  which should have simply ignored anything it didn't like.     :(

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »

:congrats: Well done Miss Marple, 'no matter how implausible it seems, it must be the truth', and that's what you thought all along. :clap2:  What do we know?! :lol:

I doff my deer-stalker to you in admiration of your persistence and tenacity (while, if you forgive me, keeping my fingers tightly crossed that it stays like that!)  ;)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2013, 06:52:36 AM »

Yes I too hope "that's it" guys....I'm not complacent though and won't be surprised if things do go "awol" again (husha ma mouth)....this seemed too simplistic a solution to me really (or am I just cynical lol) but I'm going with it until it tells me otherwise - is there a saying never trust a computer  :D

Again it is down to everyone's efforts here with help and suggestions, that's what's so good about this lovely site and the users here ready to offer help.  It's all worthwhile and giving confidence to me to try things because I'm terrible for that in case I muck 'em up and can't get things back on track.

Am now trying to find out more about Win 8 but am glad I've got windows shell desktop on it as I don't think I'd like just the tiles business personally and not seen many comments from people who like the OS much either....wonder if MS will abandon it eventually....  ::)

Have a good day everyone and thanks again.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »

The latest thread, that I have just started, may contain information that is of interest to you, Chrissie;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:30 AM »

The latest thread, that I have just started, may contain information that is of interest to you, Chrissie;)

Thank you burakkucat - just had a look thanks.  I think Win 8 will be changed or dissed very soon with all the comments I've read about it.  Not seen many positive things said about it and the start menu/button seems the main issue most of the time.  I have found out how to create a one-move shut down button for it  ;D and at least the guy created the Win7 shell desktop which I much prefer using... so hopefully if AVG behaves itself I might (sort of) get used to the new PC...here's hoping  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »

:thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything