Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Trouble with router I think...  (Read 26499 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Trouble with router I think...
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »

Just off to perform kitchen duties, so this is a very brief cat-call to mention that I suspect UPnP. I would never have it configured . . .  :no:

Agreed B*cat.  ;D

The problem, as you know, is that (almost) no-one configures it (on); it is already on by default, and switching it off is not always obvious or easy.  :(

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »

Oh gosh I really am putting you poor guys through it aren't I...I'm so sorry.  Colin I never realised just how "lethal" Windows 8 is....."built  around 'constant on' internet access - in fact as long as it has an internet connection it uses a Windows Live email address to authenticate the user's password."  I'm afraid I like to be in control (well as much as one can when not knowing a lot about techno stuff)....but for it to do what it does...hell, talk about machines taking over.  I'm just glad that the PC is now our second "in command" as I use the laptop more and I can see the PC will now be used much less than our old one was.

You mentioning things about how Win 8 changes things (I think you said) every time it initialises (boots up to me lol)....well it certainly did when I started it this morning and it came up with the "Hi....whilst we are preparing...etc" since then not all the apps have come back from what it was like before that.  I don't know why not of course and although I've not changed the screen to the small apps list, I can only hope the ones that have disappeared will be in there.  FGS - no wonder people are not liking this damned OS, I don't blame them.

I will try it again tomorrow it seems ok if I don't switch the router on first (until it starts playing up again) so as you said Colin, my poor old router could be being confused by Win 8 and may even be too old for the swine.  I'm loathe to do anything about that atm because it's fine for my laptop and I couldn't bear to mess things up so that I can't get online.

If I give a link here does it give any clues or is it totally different to what you're thinking as I'm not sure what it all means?
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itpronetworking/thread/c13f49b5-9832-457c-a1e8-462fe9b49932/

You would have to scroll about three quarters down the page to see mention of this post and the following ones robtkp Friday, January 18, 2013 9:25 PM    The thread itself doesn't mean a lot to me other than Win 8 is stopping internet connection.  It may help you techy guys and may mean something to you.

Thanks yet again, you are all so kind.

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 12:38:55 AM »

Chrissie, you need to forgive us if we are frightening you during our (or possibly just my) discussion on W8. :(  It's not quite as bad as the impression I may have given you  :)  We're just trying to get to the bottom of what it's doing, and talking out loud!

Yes it is IMHO 'built around constant on' technology - much like virtually every smartphone these days is.  In fact, MS have deliberately chosen W8 to be (more or less) the same version and so have the same look and feel on any platform, whether it is a desktop PC, a tablet, or a smartphone.  That's why it looks and feels more like a smartphone that the windows you know. The 'constant on' thing is what allows it to present info from the various apps to you on the tile, _even_ when you haven't opened the app, e.g. it will tell you how many new emails you have, or what the weather will be tomorrow. But all this stuff can be switched off.  It's just that by default, a lot of it is on.

The 'windows live' login is the normal default on W8, but as you may not have one or the guy who built it for you didn't know what it was, he has most probably changed it to the normal kind of login you are familiar with.  So no need to worry about that either.

However, to make these things sort of 'work' out of the box, like a smartphone, a lot of these things are set up like that - to expect to have an internet connection and to use it.  The discussion following from that is just that when it boots up, it probably tries to find the router to establish those connections even before you login.  Hence the chance that if the router doesn't like or understand something about that it may appear to be acting strangely.

What I meant about it _potentially_ changing (some) things was that, as you will know from XP, if you restart from a hibernated PC, you just get the machine exactly as you left it.  Since W8 does this by default (starts from hibernation, so that it loads faster) every time, unless it did something special, if you updated a driver it would never know.  So, it sort of 'reloads' the drivers (and some other things) every time - but that only matters if they have changed of course!!

What you saw this morning, and on two other ocassions you have mentioned on this thread was not normal at all.  Windows should not normally be doing this.  It is a sign that something is going wrong while W8 is booting.  It has (IMO) nothing to do with all the other router stuff we have been talking about.  Which is why I say, at some point, you should 'tell the guy' it is happening, if it keeps doing that.  3 times already is decidedly not normal:( :( :(

I've had alook at the link you've so kindly provided. Without going into boring details, I really don't think this applies to you. :) It is about problems caused to some people who use Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), and I am pretty sure you wouldn't use one of those.  :no:

So, please be reassured.  Although W8 is not what perhaps you would like, it can be 'tamed' i.e. reconfigured to switch most of these smartphone-type-things off, and you can just use the desktop as normal, even if they force us to use the Metro screen first!  ::)

I hope to be able to give you some detailed instructions tomorrow on how to switch off the 'network discovery' whizzo stuff that I think just might possibly be upsetting your router. Then if you can possibly try that, we can see if it makes any difference to you.  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 12:42:59 AM »

If only I still lived in Kent, I would be willing to visit to give your friendly modem/router a soothing purr and configure it so as to refuse to play with BGW via UPnP.

From the age and description, I am sure it is the same version of modem/router that my B-I-L uses . . . It can be accessed via the 192.168.1.1 IP address. But I would need to see its GUI pages to be able to advise how to turn off UPnP.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 08:14:06 AM »

Morning Colin and B-C and all who pop in to help...

Yes I get panicky Colin only because I really don't know what I'm doing (d'oh..old duffer here lol).  Thanks for explaining more and yes I can see what "they" want Win 8 as per the new stuff...smartphone type things...all good for the young ones no doubt IF you can get them away from their phones and on to the computer lol.

Can I just say I don't have to log in to the PC, the screen comes up automatically and I just use it...no log in and I must say I prefer it that way.  Used to be like that on the old XP and on the first laptop I had but when I got this one (replaced under warranty) in the process of my setting it up I mistakenly put password log in  :o

Yes I did wonder if the VPN thingy was anything to do with my problem but in one of the posts therein I notice someone saying, "If Win 8 broke this....what else can it break..." think I have to agree there.

I did email the chap last Monday but not heard anything which has annoyed me greatly.  He has a shop and seemed pretty genuine (and busy)...but this is not good after sales so I will be emailing him again.  It's a way for me to travel (s'why I wish I'd not got him to do it now) so I can't just pop into the shop unfortunately.

I will try the PC again to see if anything has changed...switch it on with router box on and then turn router off and switch PC on first.  I'll see how it goes. B-Cat......that's so nice of you to say what you did, I wish you lived near too...I'd invite you in definitely (tea and cake supplied lol).

Thanks again guys - have a good day.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »

If only I still lived in Kent, I would be willing to visit to give your friendly modem/router a soothing purr and configure it so as to refuse to play with BGW via UPnP.

From the age and description, I am sure it is the same version of modem/router that my B-I-L uses . . . It can be accessed via the 192.168.1.1 IP address. But I would need to see its GUI pages to be able to advise how to turn off UPnP.

B*Cat, I don't suppose you could impose on the B-I-L to provide you with screenshots of his router?  ;D Well the GUI screens from it, rather than a nice fetching photo of the box!  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:59:12 AM by ColinS »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 09:29:35 AM »

Good morning to you too Chrissie.  :)

Can you please try this for me, when you get a moment, and repeat your previous tests to see if it makes any difference?  Follow these instructions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/turn-sharing-on-or-off and turn sharing off on your W8 connection to the router.  As the article explains, • Choosing No, don't turn on sharing or connect to devices blocks the following applications and services from working: PlayTo, file sharing, network discovery and automatic setup of network devices.
This is only a test, we can turn it back on later if it also stops you from benefiting from other things you need.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »

Good morning to you too Chrissie.  :)

Can you please try this for me, when you get a moment, and repeat your previous tests to see if it makes any difference?  Follow these instructions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/turn-sharing-on-or-off and turn sharing off on your W8 connection to the router.  As the article explains, • Choosing No, don't turn on sharing or connect to devices blocks the following applications and services from working: PlayTo, file sharing, network discovery and automatic setup of network devices.  This is only a test, we can turn it back on later if it also stops you from benefiting from other things you need. 

Hi Colin

A quick fly by (she says with duster in hand)...

First off I did exactly as I've done the last few days, router on then PC and no internet connection as box went off line.  Router off, then put PC on and got connection.

Strangely enough - a coincidence...as I went to shut down PC I right clicked on network and connection and saw the turn on/off sharing...and thought I must see what that means...(did you read my mind of summat lol).

Popped in to read your thread there....did exactly what you said (checked what the chap had set network to and it was public)....  I then changed the setting to turn sharing off and shut down PC - left router box on.  Left for several minutes AND.....   

:drink: :dance: :clap: :thumbs: :sun: :congrats: :clap2: :clap:

PC came on and I connected straight away to tinternet...all lights on and still on now YAYAYAY.  I then restarted PC (just to check) and with router still on....PC fired up and I got straight on the internet.

Oh Wow....thank you so much for that.  At least we know that works and hope it stays that way.  May I just ask if the no sharing biz will affect anything on the PC?  I don't download files or share them on anything, only really send emails and links or photo's in those...occasionally...and I can't think of anything else it may affect but thought I would ask you.

Thank you so much...I have to go now but will call back tonight to see if you have any further instructions but thank you again for that I really appreciate your help.

Chrissie

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »

:thumbs: You are most welcome Chrissie.  I'm really pleased that we were all able to help you. ;D

Phew!  (Glad that worked..!)

May I just ask if the no sharing biz will affect anything on the PC?

Well the two other main things are sharing files, and streaming music or videos ('PlayTo'), neither of which you seem to use. It will also probably stop you seeing other PCs on your network, but since you seem only to have your lappy and this box, that is probably of no consequence to you.
However, if you do find you need any of these things in future, we could either try the alternative method mentioned in the link (so please save it for future reference should you need it), or if we manage to get some assistance from B*Cat's BIL (isn't that very bird-like?  :lol:), then perhaps we could shut it off from the router end instead.

The guy has set the network location to Public because this is the safest thing for him to do. But unless you forsee yourself lugging your tower into a cyber-cafe one day  :no:, we could consider changing it to Private instead; but I wouldn't bother unless we need to go down the alternative route above some time in the future.

The basic difference is Public will have stronger firewalling on in the PC for example; but since you probably already have a) a firewall in your router and then b) an AVG2013 firewall on your PC, it seems a bit of unneccesary overkill for you.  So, I wouldn't do anything else unless and until you find there is something you need that you can't do - then you can start a new thread and we'll all help to sort that out too. Isn't that what Kitz's about?  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »

Congratulations on the successful resolution to a most obscure problem.  :)  :dance:

Regarding the modem/router's configuration pages, I can sense confusion and havoc will prevail unless I perform the screen-scrapes myself.  ::)  I am due to take my laptop system, a HG612 modem, PSU, cables and an ex-Beattie Tester 301C with me when I next visit . . . The idea being that I 'profile' his (EO) line, whilst it is in good condition and performing well. So all I need to do is to make a note to remind myself to also check the modem/router's GUI configuration pages.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »

Just popping in to say once again very many thanks to Colin and everybody else who got me through this problem.   I can't thank you enough really as not only faced with learning about blimming Windows 8 I had this problem to contend with and without your help here I don't know how I would have managed it.

I hope I don't have to put up another thread (you'll all desert if I do haha)...but as I've always known since joining this great site, there's so many nice people here who are kind enough to try to sort a problem if one has one.

Have a good weekend y'all and many thanks yet again.

Chrissie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 10:51:29 PM »

Im sooo glad you found a solution to your problem...

Now thats sorted I will mention this

Thanks so much for your support Colin (and all the other kind folk too).  I am shutting win 8 down (with a sledge ham...erm no but would like to haha) by going on the "charms" <spit> and onto the power button and clicking shut down.  That's the only way I know how to shut it down and that was via a Utube tutorial lol.

I strongly suggest that you look at the following thread....
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11931.0.html

I now routinely install classic shell on any win8 PCs I set up..   I think it may make you very happy and make win8 behave much more like you are used to. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »

Well I'm back again with not so good news unfortunately (bet you're all fed up with me...).  I had the router box on this morning, switched PC and monitor on (as I did several times yesterday when IT WORKED properly) but once again  :( the problem materialised.  No internet connection and online light went off as before.  I checked that the sharing thingy was still switched off and it was
I then turned the router box off for a few minutes and left PC on.

One thing this time I noticed was when it was trying to make a connection on my home page and couldn't, the URL changed from that to isearch.avg.com and I've not seen that before so not sure why it did it.

After no connection and with router box off and PC still on, I then switched router box on and I had internet connection again, so it's with regret and damned annoyance that I have to say it's back to what it was.  I can't begin to think why except for AVG having a hand in it but not really sure even there and I know you experts seem to think not. 

Sorry everyone, will understand if you've had enough (because I have lol)... just had such high hopes after several tries yesterday and every time it connected as it should.  Just not the perfect world is it  :-X :'( :D

@kitz - thank you so much for that link et al, will deffo have a good look when this PC is behaving and I can get down to doing things on it xx

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:45 AM »

Oh dear! :'( Ah well, this just means there's either something different, or more, to try.  :(  We'll need to look and find out how to switch AVG off for the next test, but I do think that what we have already done will be helping (and certainly not, not helping).  So please leave sharing off for the moment, while we try to see what else there is.  Once we've found that, we can always turn sharing back on again and see if that was the red herring instead.

[edit] this link http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-4497 appears to tell us how to disable AVG temporarily.  Please try this and repeat your tests ... if you have the strength!  ;)

However, it is possible that there can have been more than one issue.  All of us have always said, yes AVG can stop you accessing the internet, but we can't see how it can affect the router lights.  The sharing thing was meant to help with the router issue, not any other firewall issues.  But since they are both involved when you come to surf, it's hard to separate the two except one at a time.

Don't be discouraged, I'm not.  We'll just need to think a little bit more about it. :hmm:

To leave no stone unturned, maybe we need to try using the radio tuning trick to see if we can literally hear any EMI interference (back to the PSU possibility again)?  Others will be able to advise on how to do that.

[edit] the following by Kitz, courtesy of Ezzer:
Is there anything I can do to try track down the source of REIN?

If you suspect there is something interfering with your broadband, get an AM/MW radio and tune it to 612Khz. If you hold the radio next to an LCD screen for your pc as an example you would hear a distinct noise. This should fade away if you move the radio a quarter to half a meter away. Hold it by your modem/router and you'll hear the DSL signal.

If you get a distinct noise enveloping a larger area, then this may be picked up by your router causing an SNR problem (or even drop of sync). By using the radio you may be able to get an idea of where the noise is coming from. Switch the suspect appliance off & retest your DSL connection. By distinct noise you're looking for a clear buzz, whistle, clicking etc. White noise or a general shhhhh noise is less likely to be the cause of the problem, same as any radio broadcast. (In the south of the UK you may hear a French radio station from around 612KHz.)

Be aware that any noise heard on the radio is not always affecting your DSL connection, and you may still have REIN issues in the area which will not be picked up @ 612Khz as REIN is often notoriously difficult to pin-point. This method can be a bit hazy so don’t rely on it completely by any means.

Xmas lights are a classic cause, as are noisy electrical appliance with a long length of wire which acts as an antennae. Sometimes you can cure it with a ferrite sleeve (that small cylindrical thing you normally see along your monitor cable which doesn’t seem to do anything) which you can get from electrical suppliers such as Maplin.

Thanks to "Ezzer" for the above explanation on tracking down noise using an analogue radio, which has been taken from his post on the site forums.

Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm#ixzz2R1H2zUQ2

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:57:37 PM by ColinS »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »

Hi Colin

Thanks for the link and information.  I think IF there is something interfering with the router et al it's going to be the unit of this new PC.  The router was working well and going about its business with Win XP and my Win 7 laptop (wirelessly) and of course when I tested that with the Ethernet cable.  Also I don't have a radio anyway, well only on main TV!

I am going to try to look again at AVG I don't have the link on the PC to put up where they were saying it was stopping internet connection.  Just read however that Win 8 has Windows Defender running all the time (this was said on AVG forum).

Just to say that the following happened at switch on this morning.  Router on all lights.  Switch PC on - screen up "Welcome User" stayed on around 3 mins.  Then message "preparing Windows" came up on different screen, then online button on router went off.  Stayed on that screen for 3 - 4 minutes then the metro screen came up with only 4 apps on (store, IE, desktop, file explorer) router online light still off.  I shut down PC and online light came on on router box.  I turned ROUTER off, switched PC on - metro screen came up immediately, put router box on again, all lights came on and internet connection immediately.   >:( so if I connect router first the PC has gone back to not getting on the internet - switch router off, put PC on and I can get on the internet....>>>>go figure...I wish I could.

Chrissie
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5