Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Trouble with router I think...  (Read 26472 times)

ColinS

• Reg Member
Re: Trouble with router I think...
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:37 PM »

Hi Chrissie,

that's very helpful.  Although I'm having to make (hopefully) intelligent guesses about this (assisted by a little googling!) I assume that you have an ADSL service with Orange and that Orange use PPP (you would have a username/password for the Orange service?).  Then the DSL light on the router comes on when the ADSL link is synched.  The Internet light on the router comes on when the PPP connection is successfully made by the router over the ADSL link to Orange.  As part of that connection your router will have been given its external IP address and  the Orange DNS server IP addresses, that lets your browser find the sites that you type in.
Tried to open HOME PAGE in IE in desktop - wouldn't connect and came up with "This page can't be displayed"   I clicked FIX CONNECTION PROBLEMS the diagnostic box came up with "the DNS server isn't responding" the online light on router box then went off.
No Online light on the router = no external PPP internet connection = the browser being unable to find the home page (or any other) because it can't access the external internet connection.
Therefore, this suggests something during the W8 load is causing the router to drop the PPP connection.  The fact that this doesn't happen when you switch the router on after W8 has loaded suggests that whatever is disturbing the router and causing it to drop the PPP connection to the outside world is happening during W8's 'initialisation'.
I'd be interested in what anybody else has to suggest, but this is now beginning to look to me (as L7M also suggested) as if perhaps W8 is using upnp to try to identify and possibly configure your router during the load (e.g. to open ports in the firewall it needs for its various purposes such as telling you whether or not you are connected to the internet!), and that is what is causing your router to drop the PPP connection. or worse (reboot/resync).
OK, so that's my theory for now.  Carry on please with the Laptop test tomorrow, but I have a feeling you won't be caused any problems (becuase it's W7); although Ian sees it the other way!  :)  I'll try to look further into this and see if I can suggest (others please pile in at this point) an easy way for you to get confirmation of this for us; and also give some thought to how we get round it (short of showing W8 the door!).
Hopefully we'll hear the results of your lappy test when you get the time.  Good luck, and thanks.  I told you that careful observation was the key to this, so you are a good pair of eyes to have on the case!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:31:37 AM by ColinS »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »

Reading your last reply in isolation, that really sounds like either interference from the PC causing the router to reset/lose synch, or a dodgy router PSU causing the same when an additional (very small) load is introduced (the LAN cable activity).

So trying the laptop on the LAN cable could reveal something useful, so please let us know what happens.

I'm going to predict it causes the router to reset/lose synch (ie the lights go out).  But I'm not that confident in my prediction!

If it does, I reckon it indicates the PSU is failing, or the router itself is on it's last gasp.

But lets see what happens first :)

Ian

Ian, yes this is getting very interesting.  :) It all depends now on the result of that test, which way the fault might lie. I know that all of us would be happy just to be able to find out which and fix it asap!  ;)

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 12:21:37 AM »

Just in case we need it here is another EU report (on a different router) from http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=83277

Constant UPnP set events after moving to Windows 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all, not really having any noticeable issues right now, but I am curious why this is happening.

Not too long ago, I installed Win8 on one of my PCs. Prior, it was running Win7 .... After installing Win8, ... I'm seeing constant UPnP set events. Has anyone else noticed this after moving to Win8? Anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Log excerpt:
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:20:17
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:19:44
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:19:44
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:19:04
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:19:04
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:18:32
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:18:32
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:17:51
[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:17:51
[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 192.168.1.200 Wednesday, January 30,2013 01:17:11

and on and on and on.....

Might not be relevant, but I didn't want to loose it!  ;D

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »

Hi everyone

Can confirm there is internet connection on my laptop using the Ethernet cable only...there's no loss or lights going off.

Can I just add that after searching on google et al I have come up with more things about Win 8 and dissing people off of the internet or their browsers.  The consensus on average seems to be 3rd party AV's and/or their firewalls.  Also has been mentioned on sites where Win 8 updates have caused problems, don't think this is it for me but again not 100% sure.  I want to try to disable the browser protection or shield thingy I think it's called but when I've tried it comes up with "do you want this....to alter your computer" or words to that effect.  I don't know what to do, not good at making these decisions or if it mucks up, how to put it right.  I have AVG 2013 which seems to some people (along with Kaspersky and something else) to be messing with connection.  Just thought I'd mention all this and if you want me to post the links to the info I've found out can you let me know please.

Again, thanks for staying with me on this one it's very helpful to me to have your input.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »

Hi everyone

Can confirm there is internet connection on my laptop using the Ethernet cable only...there's no loss or lights going off.

Can I just add that after searching on google et al I have come up with more things about Win 8 and dissing people off of the internet or their browsers.  The consensus on average seems to be 3rd party AV's and/or their firewalls.  Also has been mentioned on sites where Win 8 updates have caused problems, don't think this is it for me but again not 100% sure.  I want to try to disable the browser protection or shield thingy I think it's called but when I've tried it comes up with "do you want this....to alter your computer" or words to that effect.  I don't know what to do, not good at making these decisions or if it mucks up, how to put it right.  I have AVG 2013 which seems to some people (along with Kaspersky and something else) to be messing with connection.  Just thought I'd mention all this and if you want me to post the links to the info I've found out can you let me know please.

Again, thanks for staying with me on this one it's very helpful to me to have your input.

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie, that is at least some good news.  :) In the sense that perhaps it makes EMI/faulty PSU/faulty router a little less likely (but not completely in the clear!).

I can perfectly understand the things you are finding on the web about firewalls and their effect on browers.  However, on outgoing connections firewalls act to prevent your PC from establishing certain types of connection, i.e. prevents the data from escaping your PC to the router in the first place.  This is to prevent nasty sneaky trojan-horse viruses from calling home or whatever without your knowledge.  While this could certainly also prevent a browser connection if it was improperly configured, the fact that it prevents communication with the router from your PC, does tend to make it harder to explain how that would cause the router to drop the PPP connection - unless it has some sort of 'no data received' timeout.  Also the fact that this doesn't happen if you load the PC first then the router, is very hard to explain in terms of the firewall (well, by me at least  ???).

Not familiar with AVG2013 myself, so I wouldn't want to advise you on that yet, but I'm sure that there will be others around who can tell you how to switch it off and back on again.  That shouldn't be a problem for you, and would certainly let you establish that this is or isn't the problem.  So perhaps that's the next thing to be eliminated.

I think it was the fictional Sherlock Holmes who said "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, no matter how improbable it may seem, is probably the truth."  Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:34:58 AM by ColinS »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »

Just an update with this bluddy Win 8 biz  >:( >:( >:(

Left router box on and just switched on PC and monitor.  Never before seen screen came up..."Hi...while we are preparing Windows....etc etc...!!!" then a graphic tutorial of one screen came up with "how to" just to show how to move to corners et al.  Not seen all that before and why was it preparing Windows <scream>

Then the metro ui screen appeared with only 2 icons/apps on and that was it nothing else and then the ONLINE light on router box went off  >:(

Shut down PC, turned router box off...booted PC up and metro screen with most of the icons I had on yesterday were there, switched router box on all lights on and now on the internet!

Words (and patience) fail me with this ""$**!!"** system.  Why does it change most times when I switch PC on with router box on...why did the "Hi...etc" come up this time and not others...in fact WHY did MS invent this absurd rubbish that is masquerading as an operating system.  Answers on a postcard to..... :(

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »

Oh dear Chrissie, this is giving you no end of grief.  :(.  Can I just get you to quickly confirm that when you switch off the PC during these tests, you are shutting W8 down first?  If not, and that's understandable, then it could be something as simple as running CHKDSK /F could fix.  Otherwise, as I tried to explain (if poorly) in an earlier post, this W8 behaviour really does sound to me as if W8 is failing to load, invoking it's automatic recovery, which is in turn 'repairing' W8, and that's what gives rise to the weird things you are seeing on the PC - or at least the ones that don't relate to the router.

This just should not be happening  :no: on a regular basis (and I think this is the third time you have mentioned it happening).  Irrespective of this strange router issue, you need to get on to your PC builder and tell him you think that W8 recovery is being repeatedly invoked - why?

I know this is just more grief, but I now think you may have 2 issues here.  But don't worry we're all still here batting on your side!

[Edit] I think the Online light went off during this rebuild as W8 used upnp to find your router and create the internet connection for you.  In other words it's a similar process (upnp router interaction) to that causing the router issue on other ocassions  (when it's not rebuilding itself!  :lol:)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:01:47 PM by ColinS »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »

Oh dear Chrissie, this is giving you no end of grief.  :(.  Can I just get you to quickly confirm that when you switch off the PC during these tests, you are shutting W8 down first?  If not, and that's understandable, then it could be something as simple as running CHKDSK /F could fix.  Otherwise, as I tried to explain (if poorly) in an earlier post, this W8 behaviour really does sound to me as if W8 is failing to load, invoking it's automatic recovery, which is in turn 'repairing' W8, and that's what gives rise to the weird things you are seeing on the PC - or at least the ones that don't relate to the router.

This just should not be happening  :no: on a regular basis (and I think this is the thrid time you have mentioned it happening).  Irrespective of this strange router issue, you need to get on to your PC builder and tell him you think that W8 recovery is being repeatedly invoked - why?

I know this is just more grief, but I now think you may have 2 issues here.  But don't worry we're all still here batting on your side!

Thanks so much for your support Colin (and all the other kind folk too).  I am shutting win 8 down (with a sledge ham...erm no but would like to haha) by going on the "charms" <spit> and onto the power button and clicking shut down.  That's the only way I know how to shut it down and that was via a Utube tutorial lol.

OH says we have to take the tower back and ask him to sort it but of course I feel it won't solve the router box problem as he will connect with the one he has.  I think it is always worse with router box on then switching PC on....so far when I do it the other way round it hasn't been too bad - until next time when it proves me a liar!!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

Have to say I still harbour a hunch that there might, just might, be some incompatibility in the protocol dialogue between W8 and the router. 

If that is killing the router then it might or might not imply W8 is doing something naughty, but it also would certainly imply a bug in the router, since any well-designed equipment should be defensively implemented so that any invalid data is just ignored... it should not be allowed to kill the router.  In that case however, depending on the router;s age,  it would be reasonable to expect a router firmware update as Siemens would more than likely be already aware of any such problems, or at least to find discussions of it elsewhere.

But I've found no mention of it anywhere else and also had a look at the siemens website and, unless I'm missing it, there is no sign of any firmware updates  :-\

I guess one other tactic might be to try to prevent as much of the PC-router dialogue as possible, one step at a time.  ie,

• Stop the DNS lookups by configuring the PC to use explicit DNS addresses, rather than via the router.
  • Stop the DHCP traffic by giving the PC a fixed IP address.
  • Disable uPnP on the router to cut down on uPnP chatter.

But I can be less than helpful in detail, as I have no idea how to guide Chrissie through the GUIs for ether W8 or the router, to try all of above.  And of course, it could consume a lot of time but may not yield any answers.   :(

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »

Hi 7LM

Just popped on for a minute thanks for all your info.  I have seen lots of problems encountered written on forums about Win8 messing with routers/connections etc.  I will pop the links up later when I'm on the laptop where they are saved  (I don't know much about moving around in this Win8 atm).

The router is working fine now when it's switched on AFTER I boot up the PC and have the monitor.  I've just done it now and all lights are on the box and here I am on tinternet  :D

If it stays like this then to me it now seems that if the router is already on....blimming Win8 when booted up is not having the right conversation with the router box (all this technical talk haha).  I wouldn't even know where to begin...and once again I am drawn towards AVG as well as this and other AV's have also been mentioned elsewhere as to them causing problems trying to access the internet with Win 8.  :(

Can of worms I know and with Colin mentioning Sherlock Holmes  ;D  I think we need similar on the case  :lol:  Mind you, you guys are really doing brilliantly so I won't employ him yet  :)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »

I'm just dashing out, so this is a very brief reply regarding AVG etc.

I can't think of a scenario whereby any antivirus or firewall running on a computer would cause a router to lose synch or reboot.

Whilst I can imagine a bug in a driver for a network card, or a faulty network card, causing that to happen, a higher level application like a firewall or antivirus..  can't see how it could.

(I agree though that a firewall or antivirus could cause your pc to fail to connect to the internet, and produce errors on the computer, but I can't see how it would also cause the router to lose synch or reset itself)

So in my opinion the AVG thing is a bit of a red herring here.

I'm open to be corrected by others though :)

Ian (back later!)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »

So in my opinion the AVG thing is a bit of a red herring here.
I'm open to be corrected by others though :)

I have to say I share that opinion, which is tempting fate as Sheddy and myself will probably be proven wrong. :D

However...  the fact the switching on the router only after the TC is up makes a difference gives me another question for Chrissie....

What precise process are you using to 'shut down' the PC?
I've no idea whether modern Windows systems are similar to my ancient XP boxes, but when I click 'shut down' I get a further pull down, asking me to choose between 'log off' 'hibernate' 'standby' or 'shut down'.  If Chrissie were entering standby, or hibernate, instead of shutting down completely then the PC, on awakening, may try to continue to use it's old DHCP lease.  Whereas powering on the PC with before the router may convince the PC that a new lease is required.

And a related question to above...
Do you normally switch off the router as well as the PC  when not in use?

The relationship of the two questions is that if PC does try to continue using an earlier DHCP lease but the router had been power cycled, then that IP may by then have assigned to some other device.   That shouldn't cause the router to crash, but it might explain the difference in behaviour when the PC is switched on first.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »

Thanks Ian....I understand where you are coming from I will try and post the link tonight where I read about AVG.  Seeing that now the computer is staying connected (how long for though one wonders) AFTER I've put PC on first then router box...it still makes me wonder if AVG is not allowing connection.  Mind you I have very little knowledge of all things techy anyway so I could be barking up the wrong tree lol.

7LM - thanks for hanging in there with me.  With Win 8 I put cursor at top right screen, the "charms" menu drops down, I then click on bottom charm (settings I think...hmmm), then there's a power switch icon in that, click on that and it comes up with little menu "shut down" "restart" etc so I click on shut down and orff it goes.

Switching the router box off......not always when I switch PC off as I need it on for laptop downstairs so it depends on when I want to use it or if we are going out when it's switched off then. 

I must point out again, up until just over a month ago I had no probs whatsoever with the router box, the old PC 9 yrs old that is...was Win XP and until that went kaput it was fine on the router and so was/is the laptop.  It was the interloper Windows <evil laugh> that has gorn and broked it  :o  Only since attaching that up has it played its games.... bring back Windows XP I say lol.

Be back later so thanks for bearing with me.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 05:25:33 PM »

Things move fast on this problem ....  ;)

Ok people, let's see if we can summarise and reach some sort of consensus?

1) I believe that we are all agreed that it is (for the moment at least) hard to imagine how the PC's firewall would cause the router e.g. to drop the (PPP) Internet connection.  So, we believe that as Ian said AVG is a red herring in this particular case.  Other people are simply seeing AVG blocking their attempts to access the internet, not reporting a router dropping the PPP connection.
2) Although it's not entirely in the clear quite yet, the tests that Chrissie has done to date seem to have made it slightly less likely than it originally seemed that it might be EMI/faulty PSU or router per se.
3) Whatever exchange takes place between W8 and the router, it only seems to cause the router some difficulty when it happens during W8 load.  :( 7LM, yes there is a considerable difference between W8 and previous Ws when it comes to loading.  It no longer (I believe) has the hibernate option on closedown any more as in fact it always hibernates when you close it down now, and in fact you have to go through some of the F8-style recovery options to prevent it from restarting from the hibernated image!!  But on power-on load it differs from e.g. XP restarting from a hibernated image, in that with XP any driver changes would not take effect until the next cold restart.  W8 on the other hand does what it calls a hybrid load, in that it reinitialises things like drivers so as to pick up changes.  All this is just so much background on W8 (which I hope I've got right), and doesn't (I think) affect the issue.
However, W8 is built around 'constant on' internet access - in fact as long as it has an internet connection it uses a Windows Live email address to authenticate the user's password. This can be changed (and may well have been in Chrissie's machine).  To my mind this puts emphasis on the fact that W8 tries to establish an Internet connection very early in its load now, and I think it is trying to establish and in fact influence (i.e. configure) the router to ensure that this is present.

Here's a hypothetical scenario.  Please, anyone, feel free to take it to pieces.  ;) Router is up with a running ADSL and PPP connection and most probably is already using its own firewall configuration on the PPP connection.  That just seems like common sense to me.  Then say W8 comes along and asks/tells the router using upnp, 'please open these ports for me'.  Is it possible that if the router is willing to do this it might need to drop the PPP connection in order to apply the new router firewall settings as supplemented by W8?  Could it be something like this that is causing the router to drop the PPP link?
Chrissie's live box is at least 6 years old I think she told us, and no doubt it's firmware is even older than that.  I am not especially surprised that 7LM could not find a newer one.  Of course Chrissie could ask Orange, but I fear they might be more likely to want to swap out her router than be able to offer a later firmware for the one she's got.  I don't know how Chrissie would feel about that but I suspect she'd rather not, if at all possible.  A lot has happened with upnp & Window's use of it in the last 6 years. It wouldn't surprise me at all if (assuming upnp is enabled in it) that the router didn't know what to do with some of the things it is seeing.  They may not even be in the same format any more.  Of course 7LM is right, it shouldn't cause it to fall over, but these things do happen, only too often!!
I personally like 7LM's suggestions.  However, if he will forgive me, I would like to try them in reverse order.

I believe there is something called 'network discovery' in W8.  I think it is designed amongst other things to find printers, routers, other PCs etc.  I think it is this setting that drives a lot of (if not all) the upnp activity.  So I'd like to try and switch that off first to see what effect it has, if any.
I'm not sitting in front of W8, so this is all vague memory, but: from the charms, select settings, then PC settings or maybe devices, but somewhere it has an option to switch off 'network discovery'.  I'm sure a google will assist.

That would be my suggestion of what to try next.  But, as I have already said, the more, and preferably better informed suggestions than mine, the better as far as I am concerned.

Finally, I do think that the OH is right in one respect Chrissie.  I personally think you should be asking the builder to sort out this recurring W8 recovery rebuild you keep having.  I don't think it is directly related to the router business, so I wouldn't even mention that to him, just this other thing.  But whether to do that now, or after we get to the bottom of this router business, depends really on your patience and tolerance, and so it's your call.

Enough from me for now.  What do others think?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:04:46 PM by ColinS »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »

Just off to perform kitchen duties, so this is a very brief cat-call to mention that I suspect UPnP. I would never have it configured . . .  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything