Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!  (Read 25467 times)

Re: Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »

Nice one. I was pretty certain it'd do the job but there's always the thought "What if its radiated noise rather than conducted?"

Good result if it stays the same :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »

Yes, good result and worth remembering. I might get one of those devices myself, just to keep for possible future use. (I'm not planning on getting a treadmill though :) )
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »

" there's always the thought "What if its radiated noise rather than conducted? "

Being pedantic, a filter on the interfering device power input will stop both conducted-  AND radiated interference since any radiation would be predominantly from the power lines.  I suspect there was a bit of both.  Anyway it is good to hear of a cure. Possibly some filters are aimed at M & LW radio so don't do as much good for ADSL below say 150 kHz. 

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »

What might be useful is an in-line filter, not an extension block but just an adaptor that goes between plug and socket.

This is just me musing over how hard it'd be to filter mains wall sockets - given the varying depths of back box/walls/plaster(board)/etc I'm not convinced that it'd be simple, so the thought occurs that an adaptor in between plug and wall socket might be a better solution. Give it massive insertion loss (70dB+) from 10kHz to 50MHz and it would cover all ADSL/VDSL frequency bands.

If FTTC self-install happens then I can see a fair bit of work along these lines for enterprising sorts and having a filter to quickly eliminate/indentify conducted noise problems would be handy to say the least.

Of course it would kill powerline networking stone-dead but that's no bad thing - I can see them causing widespread issues on the higher bit-rate (17a/30a) VDSL2 offerings sooner or later anyway.

Hmm something to think about now summer has arrived and its raining again :D

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »

" there's always the thought "What if its radiated noise rather than conducted? "

Being pedantic, a filter on the interfering device power input will stop both conducted-  AND radiated interference since any radiation would be predominantly from the power lines.  I suspect there was a bit of both.  Anyway it is good to hear of a cure. Possibly some filters are aimed at M & LW radio so don't do as much good for ADSL below say 150 kHz.

It wouldn't if the interference was a wide-band spike when the motor starts-up - that was the worry, that the motor had inadequate/faulty noise-suppression caps more than anything else. Were there no motor/highly inductive load involved I'd have been more confident of the fix.

Always assuming that it IS fixed, we may be patting ourselves on the back a little prematurely :D

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »

Well after a week of testing......not a single dropout whilst using the treadmill.  :drink:

Thank you so much to all of you for helping me with this issue.

I share the comments of Rizla in the something to substitute the extension block would be a good idea in the long run since I now have a very good mains conditioner with a 6 way extension block with a treadmill and a fan plugged into it.

If my Yahama amp see's that i'm sure it'll give up working in protest!!!  :D

At least if the treadmill ever dies and I can talk the missus into using an exercise bike instead then the Mains conditioner will make it to my HiFi Tv setup ;D

Thanks again.

:thumbs:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »

That sounds like a great result. :thumbs:
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »

It wouldn't if the interference was a wide-band spike when the motor starts-up - that was the worry, that the motor had inadequate/faulty noise-suppression caps more than anything else. Were there no motor/highly inductive load involved I'd have been more confident of the fix.
:D

Please can you clarify   I think you are saying that a wideband spike has strong components below about 150 kHz so a radio filter isn't ideal ? I agree, although it should help above that frequency where the Broadband components are weaker and so more open to be interfered with.  Spikes or pulses can have a very wide spectrum; I recal one device which caused serious TV interference at c 50 MHz and was detectable 200 !

Anyway good to hear of a sucessful result.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »

Just to further reconfirm I had not had a single drop out since attaching the mains conditioner.

Thanks again all.

:drink:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]