Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!  (Read 25466 times)

Re: Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

Maplin did a 4 way extension cable for about 20 quid - sold as some hi-fi mains filter IIRC. It's a 3 pole low-pass filter from what I remember and the rolloff is about 5kHz - there's a decent sized choke in there for sure so the rolloff will be in that range.

Its pretty damn useless for its stated purpose (filtering input noise to hi-fi PSU) as decent hi-fi stuff has that built-in but it does a decent job of filtering noise going the other way - ie equipment generating conducted noise onto the mains. I use one myself for some equipment that splatters noise right in the middle of ADSL upstream tones and it does the job.

Maybe worth a punt?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/6-way-flat-screen-and-hdtv-surge-protector-and-mains-filter-219077

That looks similar but I don't know if its the same thing as the chunky end-piece on mine is transparent (hence I know the size of the choke).

The danger of course is that your interference isn't conducted but radiated. Only one way to find out without test equipment and thats to try filtering the conducted path.

Edit - that's not the one I used. This one is :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/6-way-mains-conditioner-plus-rfi-filter-for-home-cinema-and-hi-fi-46830

It has good insertion loss across the ADSL frequency range so might deal with your problem, I do know it can cope with highly inductive loads so it ought to cope with your motor's switch-on surge.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:47:12 PM by rizla »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »

Hopefully b*cat is out of range of senior management's projectiles whilst up the top of this tree, so I'll make the suggestion that the motor should be replaced with an alternator and that the power so generated by usage of the treadmill be sold back to the National Grid!

A win-win solution, maybe?  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »

I did consider suggesting shed, wife, treadmill, generator in no particular order but I suspect it may not be a viable solution :P

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »

I did consider suggesting shed, wife, treadmill, generator in no particular order but I suspect it may not be a viable solution :P

The thought had crossed my mind ;)

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »

Thanks for the info Rizla  8)

I'll consider the options you have highlighted. I wouldn't mind spending the £43 if it would resolve the problem but it seems to be an unknown.

Appreciate all the help so far.

I might take the top of the treadmill when I get a chance and have a look at the motor and Pcb and maybe post back with some more info if its useful.

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »

Maplin will give you a refund if it doesn't do what you want. They charge extortionate prices but you won't have any problems at all getting money back. I've never sent anything back on the web side of their business but the shops will refund without any problems.

The filter in that extension cable will cover the frequency range that ADSL is in with a minimum 35dB insertion loss which I think should deal with your problem assuming its conducted interference (which is likely).

Having said that there must be something similar available a lot cheaper - I know I only paid £20 in 2007 or so, £40+ is taking the proverbial TBH for a simple mains filter + earth choke.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »

Thanks again Rizla  :)

What do make of this I just happened to come across....... :hmm:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREADMILL-MAINS-POWER-LEAD-ROGER-BLACK-RFI-EMI-FILTER-/271054829490

I came across it whilst trying to find a cheaper alternative to the Maplin link you posted.

I presume having the router plugged into my Belkin Gold which has "EMI/RFI noise up to 75 dB reduction" is having no effect, and you are suggesting that instead I need to have the treadmill plugged into this kind of device to prevent the interference from getting out as opposed to plugging my router into it and hoping it will prevent the interference from getting it?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 09:08:57 PM »

Ah ha  8)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PS5700/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550947189&ref=asc_df_B000PS5700

This does work really well for my (audiophile) hifi.  Couldn't really comment on treadmills!  ;D

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »

Thanks again Rizla  :)

What do make of this I just happened to come across....... :hmm:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREADMILL-MAINS-POWER-LEAD-ROGER-BLACK-RFI-EMI-FILTER-/271054829490

I came across it whilst trying to find a cheaper alternative to the Maplin link you posted.

I presume having the router plugged into my Belkin Gold which has "EMI/RFI noise up to 75 dB reduction" is having no effect, and you are suggesting that instead I need to have the treadmill plugged into this kind of device to prevent the interference from getting out as opposed to plugging my router into it and hoping it will prevent the interference from getting it?

That's just a mains cable with a ferrite around it - it'll be no use at all for your problem.

I thought Roseway explained earlier that there's not a lot of point in trying to filter the router supply - once the interference from the treadmill is conducted onto the mains ring then it'll radiate from that point and you'll be chasing your backside around trying to suppress the noise, which is now being induced (and re-radiated) into adjacent mains rings and other wiring in the house such as ethernet/phone/alarm etc.

Best just to filter the noise source so the noise doesn't get onto a mains ring in the first place.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:59:49 AM by rizla »

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »

Ah ha  8)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PS5700/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550947189&ref=asc_df_B000PS5700

Same one as mine but cheaper. I'd get it from a local Maplin shop to check whether it suppresses the treadmill noise, if it does then order from the Amazon link and return the £43 one to Maplin once you've tested the one in the Amazon link ;)

http://www.direct-sales-online.com/tacima-cs929c-bp-mains-conditioner-6-way-surge-protected-rfi-filter is the same thing but slightly cheaper again. No idea what the retailer is like, never used them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:02:13 PM by rizla »

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »

Thanks again Rizla,

I will report back with my findings once I have a chance to test it (pay day not until next week!)

:)

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »

Did you ever resolve this?

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »

Did you ever resolve this?

Should find out tomorrow hopefully if the mains conditioner has any effect. I have bought it, just waiting for the treadmill to see some action which will be tomorrow all being well.

As I said before I will post back with my findings if nothing else for the benefit of others.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »

Well..........

I'm going to continue testing for the rest of the week to ensure my initial findings are accurate but........

It worked. Bought a Tacima 6 way mains conditioner (the one that won 5* What HiFi awards) plugged it in and the wife used the readmill as usual and for the first time no internet dropout.

I cleared the logs on the router beforehand, rebooted the router then checked the router tonight when I came home from work tonight and it hasn't dropped.

Like I say the treadmill will be in use for the rest of the week so a weeks good testing should confirm if I have actually managed to fix this annoying issue.

I will again report back at the end of the week with hopefully more good news.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4