Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!  (Read 25453 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Treadmill interference? Router sync drops on start up!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 07:49:20 AM »

I've just made a posting "Anti Interference components" as Maplin seem to be out of the market and few people seem to search other posts before starting a new one !

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »

Thanks again JGO,

Are these the sort of things
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html;jsessionid=CF9A5BFC1F784194DF4115FD7D2B71F1?_nkw=9mm%20Cable%20Ferrite%20Snap%20On%20EMI%20RFI%20Noise%20Core%20Filter%20x4&_itemId=320430851725

I hope so, as it turns out I have a spare one supplied with my TV that I haven't used. I might try putting it on to the treadmill lead.

:)

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »

"Ferrites" - a bit vague, like a lady we once knew who couldn't understand why a car "Service" varied so much in cost.  A 3,000 mile service isn't the same as a 27,000 mile one, and the grade of ferrite makes a similar difference.  Quoting from one maufacturer, there are 13 grades with permeabilites ranging from 1500 to 10 and max usable frequencies from 500 kHz to 200 MHz. 

By all means try it, but it may not be as good as a properly defined filter, and it doesn't include a spike supressor. It depends how bad the interference  and your line attenuation are.   
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:58:24 AM by JGO »

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 09:32:43 AM »

Oh ok, then im still none the wiser as to what I would actually need to buy should I need one ???

Thanks anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »

I don't think ferrite suppressors are going to do much for you in this situation. A proper filter of the kind discussed earlier will be far more effective. What you need is something which will have a high rejection at frequencies in the ~10 kHz to 2 MHz range.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »

Has anyone suggested that if the treadmill uses a brush type motor it might be an idea to have a look at the state of the brushes. I should think that this is the most likely source of interference or do treadmills use a special sort of motor that is prone to upsetting ADSL as you might guess from reading the technical forums. Just a thought.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »

I think you've got a good point there, Tony. A quick search suggests that treadmills do use brush type motors, and there are several companies offering replacement brushes.
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »

I don't think ferrite suppressors are going to do much for you in this situation. A proper filter of the kind discussed earlier will be far more effective. What you need is something which will have a high rejection at frequencies in the ~10 kHz to 2 MHz range.

Exactly, but a filter designed to protect the Long and Medium broadcast bands will be ideal.  However, first, have a look and see if the brushes are giving a firework display ! A new set of brushes may stop mechanical damage too  ( although that would fix the interference :=)  )

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »

Thanks all for the replies  :).

I'll read (and re-read ???) your information and then take it from there. I'll have to look into whether there are even any spare parts for the motor. I know for one thing that whilst the motor still drives the treadmill my missus couldn't give a monkeys about the internet  ::)

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 10:22:49 AM »

As the noise is apparently generated at startup it is (IMHO) more likely that the motor doesn't have noise suppression capacitors or (more likely) that the existing caps are hopelessly inadequate for the job.

I wouldn't like to advise further until I had more idea what we're dealing with here - eg is it an AC motor or a DC motor (DC would be my tenuous bet for torque reasons) - but nine times out of ten noise coming from motors on startup is due to inadequate caps or caps fitted too far away from the motor casing.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »

I wouldn't like to advise further until I had more idea what we're dealing with here - eg is it an AC motor or a DC motor (DC would be my tenuous bet for torque reasons) - but nine times out of ten noise coming from motors on startup is due to inadequate caps or caps fitted too far away from the motor casing.

Let me know what information you need and I'll do my best to give it  :)

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »

Well some indication of model number/manufacturer of treadmill and if there's an access plate at the bottom (I'd imagine there is) then any numbering on the motor under that plate would be a start.

I'm sure there's plenty of people here who'll google it, etc.

If its 3 years old and used every day then its a fair bet the brushes are shot to bits (can't use a better word here :P ).

Were it me then I'd be inclined to replace the motor rather than the brushes simply because the new motor will come with a warranty. Oh and the fact that I hate motors and generators - left-hand, right-hand rules, bleh - might have had something to do with the fact I did that side of things at sea :D

You can probably slug it (AKA "slap a cap" or put a capacitor across the terminals) so the noise you have now isn't an issue but best if you post some details of the beast.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »

Thanks Rizla  :)

Info as follows as taken from the sticker on the treadmill itself.

Manufactured by:
Roger Black fitness (MK9 2NW)

Model:
AG-12302 Gold medal treadmill

Class:
H (Home)

Voltage:
220~240 VAC 50/60Hz

Ampere:
8A

Watt:
800w

Compliance with:
EN957-1/EN957-6

Hope that's of some help.

:)

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »

Hmmm can't find anything about that apart from a couple of links that purport to be a manual but are actually executables containing InstalleRex.I.Gen trojans.

Looks like Argos sold it and acted as agents for whoever manufactured it - there is no UK company by that name, nor has there ever been a UK company by that name so I assume its some generic far-east sweatshop who built it and Roger Black got some cash for putting his name to it.

Argos look like they're clearing stock (they're half-price now) so I assume its end-of-line kit.

Googling seems to indicate the motor (whatever it is) is well under-specced and the bearings for the tread have early-life failure problems. Reading between the lines I think the unit was probably grossly over-priced for the build standard (ie its cheap garbage) and has inherent design flaws in the motor/tread.

Your best bet is to try contacting Argos to see if they can help with spares. This looks like generic Chinese kit made to order in a no-name factory so if Argos can't help then you're going to have to take it to bits and take a look at the motor :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »

Find the PCB electronic controller, and wrap some tin-foil around it !!  ;) ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4