Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: At long last !!  (Read 28767 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
At long last !!
« on: April 10, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »

Well, after what seems an eternity installing FTTC for others, I've finally got the order in place for me, me, me !!! Now, did somebody mention graphing scripts and chipped modems ???  ;)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: At long last !!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:19:04 PM »

It might have been mentioned, in passing, but you'd have to upgrade to M$ Windows or Linux (at a pinch) instead of that weird Mac thing you have fallen in love with to see the 'secrets' graphically :lol:

If only we knew someone who had access to an unlocked HG612 & a JDSU at the same time..................

I hope you get a decent engineer on install day.
There are quite a few of them about, you know.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:21:27 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »

Well, after what seems an eternity installing FTTC for others, I've finally got the order in place for me, me, me !!! Now, did somebody mention graphing scripts and chipped modems ???  ;)

:clap2: :dance: :congrats:

Let's just hope they bring you the 'right' modem for your cabinet, don't disturb your D-side while they're at it, or get the frames remapping on the MDF wrong, then!  :lol:

If you're really lucky, it might even be a PCP-connect-only job!!!!   ::)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:29:22 PM by ColinS »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:28:39 PM »

Ha ha, cheers guys. I can't quite put my finger on it, but feel an air of sarcasm within the posts ?. He he he.  :lol:

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »

Ha ha, cheers guys. I can't quite put my finger on it, but feel an air of sarcasm within the posts ?. He he he.  :lol:

Not unless you've left to join one of the contractors!   ;)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »

Congrats, Black_Sheep!  Nice to benefit at last from all the hard work going on at Openreach!

cheers, a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 06:53:17 PM »

YAY!
Hoping all goes well for you on the day  :thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »

Thanks Asbo/Kitz.

I have a cunning plan that, if it comes off correctly, I will find out my job number of the VDSL installation, and try and get the actual task 'Pinned' to myself to do the work. That way, I can coerce myself into moving the master socket to where it needs to be, by way of a bacon butty and a brew !!

I may even tip myself a tenner at the end, and spend it on a couple of pints ??!!

If I don't get the required speeds though, I'll be straight on to Walter and the B4RN lads !!  ;) ;D ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »

As you have mentioned it, what are the estimated speeds & how long do you have to wait?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:29:22 PM »

Many congrats BS,

Might I hazard a guess that, as you are one of the best trained folk in the black art of VDSL installations, you could even be persuaded to apply a JDSU as part of the process ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »

As you have mentioned it, what are the estimated speeds & how long do you have to wait?

Not rubbing it in here, but as we get the service free, we have to fill out an 'Employee Broadband' form in order that the job can be progressed. I've only just done this today as my Cab has only just been commissioned. So, long and short of it BE, I haven't got anything back at all yet, no date and no estimated speed. I don't even know if they put us on the 40 or the 80 Meg product ?? Rest assured, like my love affair with the I-Mac, all will be kept informed of the progress and results .............. whether they want to know or not !! He he ....  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »

Many congrats BS,

Might I hazard a guess that, as you are one of the best trained folk in the black art of VDSL installations, you could even be persuaded to apply a JDSU as part of the process ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Kind words sir, and undeserving I'm sure.  :-[ :-[
However, the JDSU will be utilised to within an inch of it's life during my installation, if I manage to get the actual task ?!. Our 'Control' are not supposed to manually allocate work as the 'Machine' is supposed to auto-allocate in the interest of fairness, but mainly to ensure EU appointments are maximised. However, I'm going to plead insanity and demand they give me the job !!! ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »

This is the second item of good / interesting news that I have read today.  :)

If only the Sheep's pen was located in BSE I would plod around there, as fast as my paws would allow, to examine the situation and offer words of advice to the EU.  ::)

It's just a pity that the service will be from Beattie Retail and not some other CP.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »

As I receive the service on a gratis basis, the service provider could be 'Liblabcon telecom' for all I care, B*Cat. Hopefully, the engineer will make sure the MPF is as good as it can possibly get ??!! ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 12:57:36 AM »

There again, you might get an 'only just trained' numpty from, say, M J Quinn . . .  :-X

When the provision of an FTTC / VDSL2 service becomes a 'wires only' installation, then I might just consider it.  :-\  (Personally, I would prefer a modest symmetrical service with a maximum sync speed of 6/6 Mbps DS/US.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

anything