Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Deleted items not showing in recycle bin  (Read 18334 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Deleted items not showing in recycle bin
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »

I'd rather we all played nice..  we all got there in the end and everyone suggestion was useful :)

>>> Wondering if my "feature" hasn't kicked in before now because it came via the scenic route

Its probably re-occurred then with some update.   I dont use IE so I wouldnt have a clue when it was introduced.  I would assume though it is an IE -cough- 'feature' -cough- and something in IEs programming.  Because you arent doing a straight forward delete, but instead using IE to delete files...   In cases like this then its up to the program to send any confirmation messages... which it obviously isnt. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »

I'd rather we all played nice.. 
I'm definitely playing nice. Spot the emoticons.  ;)
Bit surprised by Chrissie's wording, but sometimes people misunderstand and think statements of fact are criticism.  8)

At the end of the day we're not mindreaders here and can only assist based on what we're told.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »

okies...  sorry if I misunderstood  :D 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »

I dont use IE so I wouldnt have a clue when it was introduced. 
And I do use IE but still don't have a clue when it was introduced or what it's for.  :lol:
I'd never seen it before and there's no indication when you see it what the significance is.  ???

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »

Possibly off topic but what I find with my computer setup which is connected to a NAS box which in one respect I suppose would be classed as being on a network and is used to store all working files, is that deleted files are never in the recycle bin, this is not something new but something I first noticed when I had my NAS box, so obviously care needs to be taken (especially after my first mistake)
Only files deleted from the actual PC HDD are placed in the recycle bin.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »

@ Kitz - since you discovered it was to do with IE I have right clicked the IE icon which is pinned to the taskbar, right clicked properties and the shield is in there against "run as administrator" so I wondered if that is where the problem could stem from (though my being a complete dummy on techy stuff I'm not sure) and someone who actually knows what they are doing (not me) would be able to alter it from there?  Just a thought though I could be barking up the wrong tree!  :-X 
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »

>>> the shield is in there against "run as administrator" so I wondered if that is where the problem could stem from

I doubt it..  its the same on mine (see screen cap).  I strongly suspect its something within the IE program code thats causing this.

It works as it should elsewhere, but when you delete from within IE itself is not doing... because its actually IE that is issuing the delete command.   There will likely be something shoddy within IE code that bypasses the normal delete process.

---------
Edited to add

Actually another google has just brought up the following reply from a  Microsoft Support Engineer -linky

When you try to delete the links under Favorites in Internet Explorer 9, it doesn't confirm for deletion like how it used to do in Internet Explorer 8 and this is by design.

So  its actually a feature now of IE 9 + :/

-----

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »

Ah thanks Kitz, all is lost then  :( but at least it's not me having caused it to happen thank goodness.  I have to agree with the last reply on the link you gave, I too like to be given a choice!  Can't believe they would want to put something like that as a design feature...jeez...that's progress for you  :o

Many thanks again. :flower:

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »

Maybe I've missed the point in all this.....

In Firefox under XP if I delete a favorite bookmark (right click choose delete)- then it's gone forever. 
It does not go into the recycle bin and so far as I can remember this has always been the case.
Nor does it give you any warning that this is what is going to happen - you click on the delete submenu item and that's it - it's gone.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »

I think what Chrissie is complaining about and I would have the same complaint, and that is Microsoft updating a product and changing it without notice. For this reason I don't allow any auto updating until I have seen and agreed they're worthwhile. Often they are not. The fact that Firefox does a direct delete from bookmarks and always has is not a defence for Microsoft updating and not telling. If you speak to many PC professionals (I'm not one but I know a few) they can cite many instances of customer's machines being altered unwittingly after a Microsoft Tuesday update and the trouble they have to recover the customer's machine to a useable state. Sympathies, Chrissie and glad you solved the problem.
Tony

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 02:39:36 PM »

I think what Chrissie is complaining about and I would have the same complaint, and that is Microsoft updating a product and changing it without notice. For this reason I don't allow any auto updating until I have seen and agreed they're worthwhile. Often they are not. The fact that Firefox does a direct delete from bookmarks and always has is not a defence for Microsoft updating and not telling. If you speak to many PC professionals (I'm not one but I know a few) they can cite many instances of customer's machines being altered unwittingly after a Microsoft Tuesday update and the trouble they have to recover the customer's machine to a useable state. Sympathies, Chrissie and glad you solved the problem.
Tony

Hi Tony,

You're right, I am annoyed that they change things without drawing attention by notification especially when up until last week IE re the favorites was doing what I was always used to - asking if I was sure I wanted to send the item (in favorites) to the recycle bin and I always clicked yes or ok...then looked thru the bin later in case I changed my mind about what I'd deleted or made a slip of the mouse and deleted the wrong thing (old duffers like me can do such a thing lol).  Now of course if I make a mistake I don't get the option to reinstate the site.  The link that kitz gave with the complaint of that on it, the person there said the same thing, would prefer the choice.  It was kitz who found the item even though I'd googled it myself I didn't find that article (probably unclear in my search...).  I had thought of contacting MS about this "feature" (ha ha) but if it's in their (wonderful?) design...then no chance I guess.  Thanks for adding to this because it helps to let people know that there are some of us upset at certain changes but haven't got a voice to be heard amongst the masses  ;D

Chrissie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »

I agree it is annoying when something is changed that you previously liked :(

>> In Firefox under XP if I delete a favorite bookmark

Its not unusual when using other programs to delete files (such as Firefox/Dreamweaver etc etc)  that they dont get sent to the recycle bin. 

When you program/write new software that has the option to delete... what you are in fact doing is simply deleting the pointer to the file. 
The file will still be there on your PC, but you have removed the reference to where that file is located on the hard drive..  which is where it will sit until over written by something else.

Recycle bin is a 'Windows thing'..  and not something all Operating Systems (such as Linux) has.  When you delete a file from your desktop then it is Windows that is performing the action and moving the file to the recycle bin.

When using a program such as IE to send something to the recycle bin - its not impossible - but requires a separate function to be written into the program and therefore a pile  more code...  which is why many programs just dont have the option to send to recycle bin and simply destroy the file pointer.

I must admit none of the programs Ive written in my time have I bothered to send to recycle bin and its a case of destroying the file pointer.  Im not sure, but I should imagine writing something to send to the recycle bin could be a mini program of its own because youd have to keep track of where it was originally stored so that the file could be moved and restored if needed.  :-\
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »

Its not unusual when using other programs to delete files (such as Firefox/Dreamweaver etc etc)  that they dont get sent to the recycle bin. 
TBH I'd be surprised if they ever did it.  :-X
Depending on what the object was that was deleted you are going to need the "managing program" to restore it and any related links/indexes etc. correctly so that it functions as before within that program.
If the program isn't running (and chances are it won't be) when you decide to restore it from the RB, what happens then?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 11:39:47 PM »

TBH I'd be surprised if they ever did it.  :-X

Depending on what the object was that was deleted you are going to need the "managing program" to restore it and any related links/indexes etc. correctly so that it functions as before within that program.
If the program isn't running (and chances are it won't be) when you decide to restore it from the RB, what happens then?

TBH I cant think of any program that does... which is why I specifically mentioned it in my first reply..  but I was uncertain if this is fact for sure for all programs.  There probably is a way around it, but as mentioned above it would require a function specifically to handle it and a fair bit of extra code??  As you rightly say, the program itself would not be able to keep track of recycle bin.. so it would need to then pass the information on to the operating system for it to manage.  This is why remote drives and NAS boxes mentioned by OF just cant.

Im totally guessing here...  but I wonder if IE was previously able to do so, because it 'borrowed' some code from Windows.  It was probably much easier to do this in the past when IE was tightly integrated within Windows and shared some common resource files?

-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything